Strolling around YouTube I met Fred Dibnah

CatullusV

Yesterday I came across a lode. Sometimes on my TV I just lazily follow links to see where they bring me. I do not know how to post links on my phone, so I can only suggest looking up "Fred Dibnah".

I remember when he initially got exposure. He was a steeplejack who climbed chimneys wearing a flat cap. He was a steam enthusiast who repaired steam engines in his garden. He was also exquisitely detailed in his calligraphy and designs. He was, above all, quite a dick.

He also built a model mine in his garden.

While he seemed rooted in the technology of the industrial revolution, a lot of his work consisted of destroying its remnants.

It's fascinating to see him "laddering" a chimney stack, relying on wooden ladders, rope and his cap for protection. One of the videos is on the subject of his drinking before mounting a stack before climbing a couple of hundred feet up a a stack and, armed with a lump hammer, rambling around its crumbling apex and taking it to the ground from the top down while the badly mortared bricks wobble beneath his feet and wis Woodbine stings his eyes.

He came to us via a time machine.

galteeman

I've seen that one years ago I think, Is he still alive?

Franzoni

The working environment would of been bad enough as a carcinogenic but combined with the Woodbines...:shock2:

I enjoyed the Salvager.....he only did two seasons and after season one moved to France and became Le Salvager....:)

Catalpast

Yesterday I came across a lode. Sometimes on my TV I just lazily follow links to see where they bring me. I do not know how to post links on my phone, so I can only suggest looking up "Fred Dibnah".

I remember when he initially got exposure. He was a steeplejack who climbed chimneys wearing a flat cap. He was a steam enthusiast who repaired steam engines in his garden. He was also exquisitely detailed in his calligraphy and designs. He was, above all, quite a dick.

He also built a model mine in his garden.

While he seemed rooted in the technology of the industrial revolution, a lot of his work consisted of destroying its remnants.

It's fascinating to see him "laddering" a chimney stack, relying on wooden ladders, rope and his cap for protection. One of the videos is on the subject of his drinking before mounting a stack before climbing a couple of hundred feet up a a stack and, armed with a lump hammer, rambling around its crumbling apex and taking it to the ground from the top down while the badly mortared bricks wobble beneath his feet and wis Woodbine stings his eyes.

He came to us via a time machine.
Yes - a true anti Hero

Born about 100 years too late for his own good I think.

IIRC he died of the Big C....

Most Replies