Strong argument in favour of not raising third-level fees

unicorn

Active member
Joined
Jul 20, 2006
Messages
154
An inquest in Cork has been told how a 19-year-old student died after he drank what was described as a lethal amount of alcohol.

The coroner's court was told that paramedics could not resuscitate Gary Murphy from Palm Drive, Grantstown Village, Waterford, when they were called to his apartment by friends with whom he had been drinking. He died ten days later at Cork University Hospital.

Mr Murphy, a second-year Arts student at University College Cork, was a keen hurler, and was a member of the Ballygunner U-21 team that won the Waterford Championship on 5 December last year. The following night they returned to Cork to celebrate their win, and a number of them gathered in Mr Murphy's apartment at Victoria Mills, Victoria Cross, in Cork.

Mr Murphy was drinking cans of beer. He and his friends started a drinking game which involved pulling a card from a deck of playing cards and drinking different amounts of alcohol, depending on the card picked. The inquest at Cork City Coroner's Court was told that Mr Murphy had more than ten cans of beer before he started drinking vodka neat from a one-litre bottle.

Some of his friends put down money and dared him to drink about a quarter of a litre of the alcohol straight. He drank around half a litre of vodka in total, in addition to the beer he had drunk earlier. He became drunk, and fell on a coffee table in the apartment and on the concrete floor of the balcony outside. He was asleep on a couch when some of his friends removed his clothes.

He was put into an elevator naked and sent up a number of floors before the elevator returned. He was then put to bed. Two more friends then shaved off one of his eyebrows. Minutes later one of his friends noticed that Mr Murphy's lips had turned blue. He was placed in the recovery position and an ambulance was called. He was removed to Cork University Hospital but slipped into a coma. He died ten days later of bronchial pneumonia.

Student died after heavy drinking session - RT News

The poor students have hardly enough money to eat. :roll:
 


TradCat

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 5, 2005
Messages
1,989
There but for the grace of God go a lot of us at that age. It has nothing to do with third level fees. Cop yourself on.
 

unicorn

Active member
Joined
Jul 20, 2006
Messages
154
There but for the grace of God go a lot of us at that age. It has nothing to do with third level fees. Cop yourself on.
Bulls*it - too much money mate.
 

meriwether

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 1, 2004
Messages
12,539
Thats an absolutely ridiculous analogy.

Extremely tasteless as Sailor says.
 

eoghanacht

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 18, 2006
Messages
32,410
Bulls*it - too much money mate.
Your the one bullsh!tting he was doing an arts degree ffs, no one doing a serious degree spends their time on the p1ss.

Anyway what kind of tool uses an eijits drinking habits for an argument for raising fees.
 

unicorn

Active member
Joined
Jul 20, 2006
Messages
154
Shame on you.
Why? For expressing my distaste of student "fun" and the waste of a life?

Shame on YOU for not facing facts. Typical Irish - all debts are cleared when someone dies.

I say shame on his so-called FRIENDS!
 

hugh o'neill

Active member
Joined
Aug 13, 2010
Messages
241
third level fees should be increased - those who can afford to pay should pay and those who cannot should not have to pay -

Why should the blue collar pay for the rich man's kid?????????????????
 

Santos

Active member
Joined
Apr 23, 2010
Messages
204
Why? For expressing my distaste of student "fun" and the waste of a life?

Shame on YOU for not facing facts. Typical Irish - all debts are cleared when someone dies.

I say shame on his so-called FRIENDS!
Your posts are tasteless, disgusting, classless. Most young people have played similar 'pranks' regardless of nationality or whether they were in college or not. Obviously, such things should not be done but we're all young and stupid at some age. This is a tragic death, trying to stereotype it as being the fault of irish students with too much money is horrific.
 
Last edited:

Likely Lad

Active member
Joined
Feb 4, 2007
Messages
242
An inquest in Cork has been told how a 19-year-old student died after he drank what was described as a lethal amount of alcohol.

The coroner's court was told that paramedics could not resuscitate Gary Murphy from Palm Drive, Grantstown Village, Waterford, when they were called to his apartment by friends with whom he had been drinking. He died ten days later at Cork University Hospital.

Mr Murphy, a second-year Arts student at University College Cork, was a keen hurler, and was a member of the Ballygunner U-21 team that won the Waterford Championship on 5 December last year. The following night they returned to Cork to celebrate their win, and a number of them gathered in Mr Murphy's apartment at Victoria Mills, Victoria Cross, in Cork.

Mr Murphy was drinking cans of beer. He and his friends started a drinking game which involved pulling a card from a deck of playing cards and drinking different amounts of alcohol, depending on the card picked. The inquest at Cork City Coroner's Court was told that Mr Murphy had more than ten cans of beer before he started drinking vodka neat from a one-litre bottle.

Some of his friends put down money and dared him to drink about a quarter of a litre of the alcohol straight. He drank around half a litre of vodka in total, in addition to the beer he had drunk earlier. He became drunk, and fell on a coffee table in the apartment and on the concrete floor of the balcony outside. He was asleep on a couch when some of his friends removed his clothes.

He was put into an elevator naked and sent up a number of floors before the elevator returned. He was then put to bed. Two more friends then shaved off one of his eyebrows. Minutes later one of his friends noticed that Mr Murphy's lips had turned blue. He was placed in the recovery position and an ambulance was called. He was removed to Cork University Hospital but slipped into a coma. He died ten days later of bronchial pneumonia.

Student died after heavy drinking session - RT News

The poor students have hardly enough money to eat. :roll:
I bet you wouldn't have the guts to share that to the face of the victim's family you lowlife coward
 


New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top