Study in Germany: Alarming decline in the nr of insects

yosef shompeter

Insektensterben: Zahl der Insekten in Deutschland sinkt deutlich - SPIEGEL ONLINE

Sorry it's all in German, but the gist of it is that they Scientists set up these net-like or tent-like things to trap the insects in a nr of nature reserves, just to get a head-count. Results are a bit shocking.
This would tally with the decline in the bee population.
Pie have thread on that too!
http://www.politics.ie/forum/environment/248524-bees.html

I think there's also a decline in the nr of birds. Well if it's all about the birds and the bees, homo sapiens must be somewhere down the line.

Well something else to make you sit up straight and worry. Sorry Insectology is just humbug to me. And I don't know much about bees except that they are needed to polinate the fruit and veggies.
Why start a thread on it? Well I think it's important for pie readers to be aware of what's going on in the world out there that's not the world of men.

The Field Marshal

I have noticed a decline in the fly population.

Half Nelson

The insect population appears to have fallen off a cliff. Anecdotal evidence of clean windscreens is being borne out by scientific research.
We rely on insects for most of our food. The outcome may be widescale famine, unless we pay attention.

yosef shompeter

I can recall (back when i was a nipper) my dear old dad having to wash the windscreen free of insects every twenty, thirty forty miles or so on a summer drive, especially in the midlands.
Not like that now.
One of my memories of that times is the flight of wild geese. (The real birds now, nothing to do with mercaneries or emigrants). It's a rare sight now.
Plenty of pigeons and starlings and sparrows though.

pumpkinpie

It's not really a surprise. Intensive farming, pesticides, the fact that the countryside is being concreted over, pollution etc etc etc. It's all very well recycling plastic bags but it changes nothing. We should have stuck with paper and glass and stopped as much of the plastic as possible. Now the oceans are destroyed with plastic, birds are feeding their babies plastic thinking it's food, the creatures in the ocean are being killed by the plastic in the water.

Half Nelson

I can recall (back when i was a nipper) my dear old dad having to wash the windscreen free of insects every twenty, thirty forty miles or so on a summer drive, especially in the midlands.
Not like that now.
One of my memories of that times is the flight of wild geese. (The real birds now, nothing to do with mercaneries or emigrants). It's a rare sight now.
Plenty of pigeons and starlings and sparrows though.
The sparrow population is in freefall in Europe. If insect numbers decline then it's to be expected that animals which feed on insects will also suffer.

benroe

They have obviously been trampled by the muslim hoards.

dizillusioned

Should tell that to the bastards in/on the house at the moment. Wasps Bees Elder Bugs ladybugs.. the whole side of the house facing the sun is black and crawling.....and as for the windshield not getting bugged up???

pumpkinpie

This is why people should mostly grow organic.
Even that comes in plastic, usually. Think about it, almost everything we eat and drink is sold to us in plastic. Dairy, meat, poultry, vegetable, drinks. Our bedding and linen is wrapped in plastic. Our toiletries are in plastic containers. Seriously, when I read about the dramatic rise in cancers it does make me wonder if it's something to do with all the plastic. It's one thing to say a certain type of plastic is safe, but what about all of the different plastics mixing together leaving traces in our bodies?

Volatire

Climate Change.

Earth getting warmer hurts polar bear lice and ticks.

corporal punishment

I haven't seen a grasshopper for 20 years. Local "gaurdians of the countryside" have wiped them out spraying pesticides on the fields. Those chemicals are probably in the food chain by now as well.

pumpkinpie

I haven't seen a grasshopper for 20 years. Local "gaurdians of the countryside" have wiped them out spraying pesticides on the fields. Those chemicals are probably in the food chain by now as well.
Yep and what about all the GM crap they want to grow? That should kill off even more.

Bea C

Should tell that to the bastards in/on the house at the moment. Wasps Bees Elder Bugs ladybugs.. the whole side of the house facing the sun is black and crawling.....and as for the windshield not getting bugged up???
I used to have a thing about moths when I was younger.
Well, I still hate them, but nevertheless, my point is during the summer (as in back when we had summers) you couldn't leave a window open at night for sixty seconds before they were flocking in to the light.
This summer past the kitchen sliding door could have been left open all evening and nothing would have appeared!

kynikos

One thing is certain, it's somebody else's fault. I'm just an innocent fellow busying myself with working and consuming.

Odyessus

Insektensterben: Zahl der Insekten in Deutschland sinkt deutlich - SPIEGEL ONLINE

Sorry it's all in German, but the gist of it is that they Scientists set up these net-like or tent-like things to trap the insects in a nr of nature reserves, just to get a head-count. Results are a bit shocking.
This would tally with the decline in the bee population.
Pie have thread on that too!
http://www.politics.ie/forum/environment/248524-bees.html

I think there's also a decline in the nr of birds. Well if it's all about the birds and the bees, homo sapiens must be somewhere down the line.

Well something else to make you sit up straight and worry. Sorry Insectology is just humbug to me. And I don't know much about bees except that they are needed to polinate the fruit and veggies.
Why start a thread on it? Well I think it's important for pie readers to be aware of what's going on in the world out there that's not the world of men.

What is an "nr"? :confused:

Morgellons

Good point. I used to love catching grasshoppers as a young fella. There was a certain skill involved as you had to cup your hands and bring them down in anticipation where the critter would jump. Not an easy thing to do, and at best I'd be successful only 50% of the time. Oh, but the thrill of having one in your cupped hands, feeling him jump and jump trying to get away. Happy days.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies