Study in Germany: Alarming decline in the nr of insects

Turbinator

The governments agri policies are to blame. ATM they are prioritising large intensive dairy operations. If you walk through these places they are essentially biodiversity deserts thanks to heavy chemical use and the near 100% removal of natural vegetation, including wild flowers etc.. Bord Bia then have the cheek to spin such things as "green" when promoting Irish food abroad!!

Catalpast

Fly population has nose dived in recent years

- not complaining mind

But its a stretch since there has been a wasp or a bee inside the house either

Nevertheless most of us live in urban areas and where I live has gone from semi rural to Concrete Jungle in 30 years...

Still plenty of birds around though and they need insects to live off

brughahaha

Was in Eastern Poland last summer visiting a Grand old house which had a large flower bed in the middle of its garden
It was swarmed with bees and butterflies and i remembered that in the 70s such large numbers of bees and butterflys could be found even in Dublin but I hadnt seen such a density of bees and butterflys in decades

Very sad , although i notice the parks department now leave areas of grass and wildflowers uncut ...might be a small help

Bea C

- not complaining mind

Nevertheless most of us live in urban areas and where I live has gone from semi rural to Concrete Jungle in 30 years...

I had a waxwing in the garden this morning!

Mick Mac

D

Deleted member 45466

Poster Spanner Island mentioned this on another thread. Very worrying if accurate.

HenryHorace

Sounds like a load of BS tbh. Plenty of the feckers as far as i can see. My poor old motorbike helmet took a beating this summer. Think the little suicidal s h its aim for me :D

Ellen Ripley

I used to have a thing about moths when I was younger.
Well, I still hate them, but nevertheless, my point is during the summer (as in back when we had summers) you couldn't leave a window open at night for sixty seconds before they were flocking in to the light.
This summer past the kitchen sliding door could have been left open all evening and nothing would have appeared!
I've noticed the same, there seemed to be a distinct absence of wasps this year.

We have screens on windows and doors for flies, but I'd usually be leaving traps around apple trees in September--as they nibble each one in turn-- no need this year.

Ireniall

Insektensterben: Zahl der Insekten in Deutschland sinkt deutlich - SPIEGEL ONLINE

Sorry it's all in German, but the gist of it is that they Scientists set up these net-like or tent-like things to trap the insects in a nr of nature reserves, just to get a head-count. Results are a bit shocking.
This would tally with the decline in the bee population.
Pie have thread on that too!
http://www.politics.ie/forum/environment/248524-bees.html

I think there's also a decline in the nr of birds. Well if it's all about the birds and the bees, homo sapiens must be somewhere down the line.

Well something else to make you sit up straight and worry. Sorry Insectology is just humbug to me. And I don't know much about bees except that they are needed to polinate the fruit and veggies.
Why start a thread on it? Well I think it's important for pie readers to be aware of what's going on in the world out there that's not the world of men.
There is a visible decline in the number of insects within my lifetime. When I was younger I was a keen flyfisher and my local river and its environs bear no relationship to their past glories. I suspect that agricultural practices are the only thing that could be causing this.

Catalpast

Whatever happened to Daddy Long Legs?

When I moved in here 1st we used to have a regular infestation every season

- I was on 24 hour call with newspaper in hand as screams reverberated around the house to cries of I don't care - just kill it!

Now its All Quite on the Western Front....

Bea C

Whatever happened to Daddy Long Legs?

When I moved in here 1st we used to have a regular infestation every season

- I was on 24 hour call with newspaper in hand as screams reverberated around the house to cries of I don't care - just kill it!

Now its All Quite on the Western Front....
I had at least one incident during the summer alright.

blokesbloke

Should tell that to the bastards in/on the house at the moment. Wasps Bees Elder Bugs ladybugs.. the whole side of the house facing the sun is black and crawling.....and as for the windshield not getting bugged up???
Do I smell plastic?!

onetimeonly

- not complaining mind

Farmland birds have been reduced by about 50% since the 70s in the UK (and still declining, though at a slower rate). Bats have stabilised and some species even increased due to hedgerow management etc (which is also probably helping out birds quite a lot).

If anyone is suggesting superfarms in Ireland, they are basically suggesting a massive cull of the last vestiges of natural life remaining in Ireland.

Catalpast

Farmland birds have been reduced by about 50% since the 70s in the UK (and still declining, though at a slower rate). Bats have stabilised and some species even increased due to hedgerow management etc (which is also probably helping out birds quite a lot).

If anyone is suggesting superfarms in Ireland, they are basically suggesting a massive cull of the last vestiges of natural life remaining in Ireland.
I reckon a lot have re located to less populated areas and as the 'pickings' are not quite as good there are surviving on lesser numbers

Supra

The insect population appears to have fallen off a cliff. Anecdotal evidence of clean windscreens is being borne out by scientific research.
We rely on insects for most of our food. The outcome may be widescale famine, unless we pay attention.
Not to try and take away from an important topic but..

Driving through Cavan in a damp summer and you will need to clean your windows regularly. The lights are worse. At least you know when your windows are blocked with insects.

Mitsui2

Good point. I used to love catching grasshoppers as a young fella. There was a certain skill involved as you had to cup your hands and bring them down in anticipation where the critter would jump. Not an easy thing to do, and at best I'd be successful only 50% of the time. Oh, but the thrill of having one in your cupped hands, feeling him jump and jump trying to get away. Happy days.
God, Morgellons, but that takes me way back - and in detail!

Been there, done every bit of it - but forgot about it for years until reading your post.

Thanks!

flavirostris

What about all those cockroaches that Merkel unleashed in Cologne last year?

Socratus O' Pericles

I reported the above post in the forlorn hope that the mods might do something about this racist cĂșnt.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies