Stupid Policing Rules

devonish

So, you can have as many orange or green marches, as big as the parades commission permits, as frequently as you want and the police do their bit without the organisers being charged.
Try and run something across communities, promoting Belfast / NI in a positive light and also getting people active and the police will charge you for the privilege. Stupid and illogical.

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/future-of-belfast-marathon-under-threat-due-to-policing-costs-36880515.html

McSlaggart

So, you can have as many orange or green marches, as big as the parades commission permits, as frequently as you want and the police do their bit without the organisers being charged.
Try and run something across communities, promoting Belfast / NI in a positive light and also getting people active and the police will charge you for the privilege. Stupid and illogical.

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/future-of-belfast-marathon-under-threat-due-to-policing-costs-36880515.html
I think it is logical that people who hold events have to pay the policing costs. As this event is going to be charged then their is no reason why all the rest are not equally charged.

Mickeymac

Quite a startling revelation DEV, I never knew of such disgusting double standards, totally despicable. the divided communities there need events like the marathon etc etc and they need parades and coat trailing exercises like a large hole in the head sir.

AhNowStop

Just saw this on the news yesterday ...was thinking the exact same .. Absolute Madness.

Mickeymac

I think it is logical that people who hold events have to pay the policing costs. As this event is going to be charged then their is no reason why all the rest are not equally charged.

WTF created such laws?

AhNowStop

I'd sign that petition :cool:

Franzoni

Absolute lunacy....sporting events as stated by a contributor in the article should be encouraged in a modern culture of rising obesity and many other unhealthy distractions....

President Bartlet

All sporting events that close the public roads and that need the police and on for the same hit - total madness = but the sectarian marches of the Orange Order can close down roads and use the police and its all ok - total madness!

mac tíre

Give it until the spotlight falls on the DUP again and they'll use this to distract their supporters - that this is part of a conspiracy to justify charging for policing on July 12th. At the moment David Simpson is bookies favourite to deploy it.

Mickeymac

All sporting events that close the public roads and that need the police and on for the same hit - total madness = but the sectarian marches of the Orange Order can close down roads and use the police and its all ok - total madness!

Absolutely Mr President and such double standards need to cease forthwith.

McSlaggart

WTF created such laws?
I think events such as the Belfast marathon would be able to do things that would reduce the need for policing. The type of police people who would be required for such events could be the like of "Special Constables" that they have in Britian.

McSlaggart

Their is no reason why the Orange order and bands could not be charged.

Mickeymac

Give it until the spotlight falls on the DUP again and they'll use this to distract their supporters - that this is part of a conspiracy to justify charging for policing on July 12th. At the moment David Simpson is bookies favourite to deploy it.

Indeed Mac and only in the false statelet could a politician get away with deploying such a tactic to enhance his stature and bury his home wrecking behaviour.

AhNowStop

and yet the poor crackpots froth at the mouth and whinge like babies because the nationalists in 5 out of just under 3000 marches would prefer it if they didnt have their little supremacist sectarian marches through their area...

make the feckers pay for them and the numbers will soon shrink down ... dont forget, the half crown will always trump the crown :?

I actually thought it was a joke when I saw the news section about the marathon possibly having to pay its own policing costs next year while these hatefests go free.. its yet another ridiculous & outdated sectarian legacy issue which has never been addressed - yet you have DUPlicitous people claiming, that a bit of balance like an ILA, would be cultural supremacy for nationalism ... you have to hand it to the pr1cks, they have some cheek :roll:

Mickeymac

I think events such as the Belfast marathon would be able to do things that would reduce the need for policing. The type of police people who would be required for such events could be the like of "Special Constables" that they have in Britian.

One rule for all sounds better to me sir.

belfast1981

Are roads closed for marches though? As annoying as it is driving on a parade day, I have been stuck behind bands and been able to get to my destination on the normal route (all be it slower) while being stuck behind them.

But I do agree, organisers should at least greatly contribute to the costs, and that should be across the board.

AhNowStop

Are roads closed for marches though? As annoying as it is driving on a parade day, I have been stuck behind bands and been able to get to my destination on the normal route (all be it slower) while being stuck behind them.

But I do agree, organisers should at least greatly contribute to the costs, and that should be across the board.
oh yes roads are certainly closed Bel .. 100% sure of that ..

belfast1981

oh yes roads are certainly closed Bel .. 100% sure of that ..
Is that on the 12th and the big parades?

I honestly don't know, I don't go near them.. I actually try to be out of NI around that date. I have been caught many times behind the bands without roads being closed, but these were always smaller parades not around the 12th.

I drove through Newcastle last September behind the bands and the roads were open. Took me a fooking hour to get down the main street. Same with one in Belfast near Great Victoria Street last June I think it was.

AhNowStop

Is that on the 12th and the big parades?

I honestly don't know, I don't go near them.. I actually try to be out of NI around that date. I have been caught many times behind the bands without roads being closed, but these were always smaller parades not around the 12th.

I drove through Newcastle last September behind the bands and the roads were open. Took me a fooking hour to get down the main street. Same with one in Belfast near Great Victoria Street last June I think it was.

no thats not necessarily the 12th .. that can be anytime.

roads the bands are on can and do be closed for hours, depending on the size of the parade...

belfast1981

no thats not necessarily the 12th .. that can be anytime.

roads the bands are on can and do be closed for hours, depending on the size of the parade...
Ah fair enough. The ones I get stuck behind are usually smaller ones. 10/12 bands. Some are unavoidable, but the 12th I try to get away for the week.

New Threads

Most Replies