• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Stupid Quotes From History

Website
www.allthingspolish.net
Do you know any quotes from your country's (or any other country)
history that after some time turned out to be incredibly stupid ?

I'll start:

"We don't need no shitty tanks ! Well dug-in infantry and
fast-moving cavalry will always stop the enemy !"
Anonymous Polish army commander, September 1939

3...2...1... SPLASH :roll:

Eirenua

What the f**k was that?

Mayor of Hiroshima

CookieMonster

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

Eirenua

Bushisms:

"There's an old saying in Tennessee — I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee — that says, fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again." —Nashville, Tenn., Sept. 17, 2002

"Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we." —Washington, D.C., Aug. 5, 2004

"They misunderestimated me." —Bentonville, Ark., Nov. 6, 2000

"Too many good docs are getting out of the business. Too many OB-GYNs aren't able to practice their love with women all across this country." —Poplar Bluff, Mo., Sept. 6, 2004

"I hear there's rumors on the Internets that we're going to have a draft." —second presidential debate, St. Louis, Mo., Oct. 8, 2004

"I know the human being and fish can coexist peacefully." —Saginaw, Mich., Sept. 29, 2000

And my favourite Bushism: "Families is where our nation finds hope, where wings take dream."

I know, I know you, are all going to say I picked an easy fool to quote because he made so many gaffs but someone had to include him

Odyessus

Stevie Chalmers said:
Do you know any quotes from your country's (or any other country)
history that after some time turned out to be incredibly stupid ?

I'll start:

"We don't need no shitty tanks ! Well dug-in infantry and
fast-moving cavalry will always stop the enemy !"
Anonymous Polish army commander, September 1939

3...2...1... SPLASH :roll:

I am always suspicious of the authenticity of foolish quotes attributed to "anonymous".
(complete with bad grammar.)

Fr. Hank Tree

Eirenua said:
"I know the human being and fish can coexist peacefully." —Saginaw, Mich., Sept. 29, 2000
What exactly is wrong with this one? Seriously. Human Beings and Fish should be able to co-exist peacefully. Can't we all get along.

nawbut

Hume-Adams

"John Hume has betrayed constitutional democracy"- Eoghan Harris, 1994

Eirenua

Fr. Hank Tree said:
Eirenua said:
What exactly is wrong with this one? Seriously. Human Beings and Fish should be able to co-exist peacefully. Can't we all get along.
Well we better stop eating them so. :shock:

Supermanpolitician

Re: Hume-Adams

nawbut said:
We could fill a book of Harrisisms in line with what has been done regarding Bush.

Fr. Hank Tree

Eirenua said:
Fr. Hank Tree said:
Eirenua said:
Well we better stop eating them so. :shock:
Ok i see your point :oops:

alonso

Re: Hume-Adams

Supermanpolitician said:
nawbut said:
We could fill a book of Harrisisms in line with what has been done regarding Bush.
well I know this website where someone can start a thread and others can contribute their own quotes :) . i don't have any but I did meet him once and he was an ignorant bag of sh1t.

So someone start the thread! I'll give you some titles:
"verbal harris-ment"
"eoghan goals"
"does anyone have any gaffer tape to shut this clown up"
"several reasons the Sindo should be firebombed"
"Brendan O'Connor's Da said this..."
"Well said... but seriously... **** off"

ah that's enough

Odyessus

Fr. Hank Tree said:
Eirenua said:

How would you like it if a family of herrings moved in next door?

Riadach

I can't quote this exactly, but I read it from Herbert Asquith in a debate.

'The welsh have more right to a state than the Irish. The Irish don't even have their own language'.

When called on it he replied, 'well they do not speak it to the same degree'

to which a shout echoed throught the room 'and who's bloody fault is that?'. This was said around 1914, I wish i could quote it.

Kursk

"... Hitler is one of the greatest men. The old trust him, the young idolise him. It is the worship of a national hero who has served his country." - David Lloyd George,
Prime Minister and Statesman, Great Britain.

"Hitler was a reformer of the highest rank, and his historical fate was to be in a time of unexampled brutality, of which he was finally a victim"- Knut Hamsun, Norwegian recipient of the Nobel Prize in Literature.

"I say that Hitler ought to have the peace prize, because he is removing all the elements of contest and of struggle from Germany. By driving out the Jews and the democratic and Left element, he is driving out everything that conduces to activity. That means peace..." Renowned Jewish author and Nobel Prize winner, Gertrude Stein lwho ed the campaign that got Adolf Hitler nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize in 1938.
"He has a supreme intellect. I have known only two other men to whom I could apply such distinction - Lord Northcliffe and Lloyd George. If one puts a question to Hitler, he gives an immediate, brilliant clear answer. There is no human being living whose promise on important matters I would trust more readily. He believes that Germany has a Divine calling and that the German people are destined to save Europe from the revolutionary attacks of Communism. He values family life very highly, whereas Communism is its worst enemy. He has thoroughly cleansed the moral, ethical life of Germany" - Viscount Rothermere.

Kursk

"There is a natural disgust in the minds of nearly all white people to the idea of indiscriminate amalgamation of white and black races." - Abraham Lincoln, Springfield, Illinois, 1857.

"I cannot make it better known that I strongly favor return of Negroes to Africa. With this return even to a limited extent - enhanced wages to white labor is mathematically certain. Reduce the supply of labor by repatriating the blacks and by precisely so much, you increase the demand for, and wages of white labor." - Abraham Lincoln

Catalpa

It is a disgraceful xenophobic myth that there will be a threat of a flood of migrant workers coming to Ireland. A wilful effort has been made by the National Platform and the No to Nice Campaign organisation to raise the spectre of a wave of immigrants coming to our shores. This is the worst and most unworthy objection I have heard to the Nice treaty; it is most "un-Irish" and speaks volumes about the level at which some are willing to conduct political debate. It is a shameful and distasteful piece of propaganda.

Xenophobic fears have been raised before. When Ireland was joining the EEC in 1973, the same National Platform warned of foreign skilled workers taking Irish jobs. False fears of mass movements of people at the time of previous enlargements were also raised, but, as we know from the Spanish and Portuguese enlargement, these fears did not materialise. There is no credible reason to believe enlargement will be accompanied by large movements of people. All the evidence points in the opposite direction.

Minister of State at the Department of Foreign Affairs (Mr. Roche); 12th September 2002

alonso

"I always found him to be a proud honourable man, loyal and true, persevering and principled, caring and committed but tough and a person who often lost friends very easily. On behalf of the Government and particularly on behalf of the Fianna Fáil Party, I thank him for his distinguished years in the service of his constituents and his country."
Bertie Ahern
Speaking on Ray Burke on his resignation.

"It is quite unacceptable that a member of Dáil Éireann and in particular a Cabinet Minister and Taoiseach, should be supported in his personal lifestyle by gifts made to him personally.
Bertie Ahern"
On Charles Haughey, Dáil Éireann transcript, September 1997

"I never condemn wrongdoing in any area."
Bertie Ahern
22 February 2006 in the Dáil.