• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Suas - the Liffey Cable Car & Fast Track Planning Approv

diego

This is a report from the Irish Times last August

"A cable car service running along the River Liffey in Dublin called the "Suas", a 21-hectare extension to Dublin Port and the new Metro North rail line to Dublin airport and Swords, are among 53 projects seeking fast-track planning approval from An Bord Pleanála.

The Strategic Infrastructure Act, which came into force last January, directs that certain projects, particularly those relating to major transport, environment or energy schemes, be handled directly by An Bord Pleanála, rather than first having to be dealt with by local authorities.

The schemes seeking fast-track approval, include projects which have already received considerable national attention, such as the route of the Corrib onshore gas pipeline, Metro North, and the extension of the red Luas line from Tallaght to Citywest.

Others such as the "Suas" surfaced briefly as a concept some time ago and are just now emerging as a real prospect.

The Liffey Cable Car Company Ltd is seeking rapid approval for the Suas which would run along the side of the river Liffey from Heuston Station to Dublin Docklands.

Designed more as a tourist attraction than a transport service, the Suas, which is understood to have been inspired by the success of the London Eye, would transport sightseers along the Liffey quays, taking advantage of the removal of large lorries from the quayside."

(link http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/ireland/2007/0802/1185230371504.html

While it's great that the planning process is being simplified, do we have any more faith in An Bord Pleanála than the local authorities? I mean, if eyesores like this are thought of as appropriate aren't we just in danger of unleashing another Sam Stephenson era, only this time on a much larger scale? I'm all for innovation in architechtural design, but the sight of this on Dublin's quays would horrify me.

Here's a pic:

johnfás

It is going to be rather ugly if it goes ahead. The enormous pole does nothing for Gandon's great architecture.

Aindriu

johnfás said:
It is going to be rather ugly if it goes ahead. The enormous pole does nothing for Gandon's great architecture.
I agree, it looks like a concrete pump!

Pidge

That is pretty ugly, alright. I can't imagine this being accepted - totally out of place.

AXL ROSE

I take it that Suas is a government initiative and not a private one. If this is the case I think we have nothing to worry about. Government ineptitude will save us from this eyesore.

diego

AXL ROSE said:
I take it that Suas is a government initiative and not a private one. If this is the case I think we have nothing to worry about. Government ineptitude will save us from this eyesore.
Nope, a private endeavour. The Government being innovative?? Pishaw...

Aindriu

jam_mac_jam said:
Its dreadful, can we not have a monorail instead...
Good idea! That would be deadly.

Schuhart

Aindriu said:
johnfás said:
I agree, it looks like a concrete pump!
Presumably it might enable someone to actually see Gandon's architecture without having to chop down those trees.

I think its a reasonable idea, but I'd wonder at making it a cable car. A monorail is probably more costly, but would be a better addition to the city.

AXL ROSE

Someone suggested on this site a while ago that they put an underground system under the Grand Canal linking the two luas lines and servicing of the canal area with minimal disruption of traffic. i thought it was the best idea I had heard of in a long time. It could even be developed to include the dart at grand canal dock.

alonso

bear in mind that it's only applying for fast track planning now. It will probably be rejected as to call this "strategic" is nonsense. It will then have to go thorugh the normal process, where it will also be rejected, then appealed, then rejected,... blah blah blah hopefully. And as such will tie up the planning process which has better things to deal with like i dunno, delivering housing and transport in the right place

it's a ridiculous proposal that will render the quays a bigger eyesore than in the 80's. It will also remove pedestrian space due to the size of the piers on the ground, and destroy the skyline. Anyone who advocates this but opposes high rise is a confused weirdo.

Rapscallion

I like the cable car idea, if only the made the support structure a little bit more aesthetic.

alonso

plus it's a tourist facility not a transport connection. Only fits a few dozen

AXL ROSE said:
Someone suggested on this site a while ago that they put an underground system under the Grand Canal linking the two luas lines and servicing of the canal area with minimal disruption of traffic. i thought it was the best idea I had heard of in a long time. It could even be developed to include the dart at grand canal dock.
They could fill in the canal and mark it so two lines of opposing traffic could each use it without crashing. Oh wait thats a road.

Aindriu

A monorail could also be used as a new form of public transport if it was planned properly. It doesn't just have to be a tourist attraction.

mollox

When this first surfaced (last year?) someone suggested that it should be called "Dublin Aerial Transport" or DAT for short.

Then when visiting dignitaries asked what it was, Bertie could proudly proclaim "Dat's DAT!"

Riadach

If it's called suas, someone's head will roll.

ibis

odie1kanobe said:
AXL ROSE said:
They could fill in the canal and mark it so two lines of opposing traffic could each use it without crashing. Oh wait thats a road.
And already suggested by the lovely Noel O'Gara. I believe the DTO have several letters from him on the subject.