Successive Govt Marine Policy Criticised at funeral of Waterford drownings

Burnout

Twitter
I have a life.
JEROME REILLY – 15 JUNE 2013

MOURNERS at the funeral of three Bolger brothers killed while out lobster fishing last week broke into a spontaneous round of applause after a member of the grief stricken family blamed successive governments for forcing fishermen to take bigger risks in smaller boats. The devastating denunciation from the pulpit was made at the funeral mass of Shane, Kenny and Paul Bolger by Colm O'Neill, who is married to Paula, twin sister of Paul.

He said successive government actions caused them to move into areas of greater risk; "to fish in smaller boats and to fish for stocks that were not restricted."

Fishing is just one area that has suffered from gov related failure, but as I have said before there seems to be a growing realisation that our government are more concerned with their own salaries and pensions than really looking after the peoples interests. Either we are been bullied from abroad by our 'partners' or our lads in Merrion St are simply not up to the game. What is the future bigger picture?

Personally I think and judging by the reports in the media (gov cynicism personified) that small parts of society are disintegrating bit by bit. Very little respect for the political powers that be which is not a good thing (I wish I could be proud) and with growing unemployment and the near absence of green shoots (except in my greenhouse) we are facing a terrible escalating social breakdown. Money worries aside and the keeping of pillar banks and politicians salaries well looked after, we have the seeds of a deep rooted social problem growing, not exactly the green shoots ministers talk about. But they will be gone like the last crowd and the problem will still be growing into someone else's problem. name;y our through crime. Unsolved crime.

Are we slowly falling apart mentally, all the while been taxed from the moment we wake to pay for.....what exactly? Ex Tickccshhits on 1800 pw? TV licences for a station that is soft 'n' silky at the best with 'tough' interviews? IMO our sense of outrage has been eroded, we do not really care anymore, we let it happen and whimper outrage.

All that is left of the Irish spirit of rebellion (against who, for what) is the likes of P.ie and a myriad of other keyboard warriors like myself whose thoughts have little or no meaning anywhere outside the actual blog community they are involved with. Does anyone know Burnout on any other site? yes by different names with the same posted thoughts (but no not me...I am actually only on P.ie). But is that it? is that the future of rebellion against what is perceived as 'not the right way'.

Is posting comments on blog sites the sum total of public rebellion, against the likes of Fine Fail's incompetence and Fianna Gael and Labours lethargic attempts to be different while just being the same in a different time period. Amazing because no one up there is listening. And if there are problems gathering and growing and no one is listening there will be social consequences.

Kev408

I hate to say it but why weren't those lads wearing life-jackets? RIP.

CarnivalOfAction

JEROME REILLY – 15 JUNE 2013

MOURNERS at the funeral of three Bolger brothers killed while out lobster fishing last week broke into a spontaneous round of applause after a member of the grief stricken family blamed successive governments for forcing fishermen to take bigger risks in smaller boats. The devastating denunciation from the pulpit was made at the funeral mass of Shane, Kenny and Paul Bolger by Colm O'Neill, who is married to Paula, twin sister of Paul.

He said successive government actions caused them to move into areas of greater risk; "to fish in smaller boats and to fish for stocks that were not restricted."

Fishing is just one area that has suffered from gov related failure, but as I have said before there seems to be a growing realisation that our government are more concerned with their own salaries and pensions than really looking after the peoples interests. Either we are been bullied from abroad by our 'partners' or our lads in Merrion St are simply not up to the game. What is the future bigger picture?

Personally I think and judging by the reports in the media (gov cynicism personified) that small parts of society are disintegrating bit by bit. Very little respect for the political powers that be which is not a good thing (I wish I could be proud) and with growing unemployment and the near absence of green shoots (except in my greenhouse) we are facing a terrible escalating social breakdown. Money worries aside and the keeping of pillar banks and politicians salaries well looked after, we have the seeds of a deep rooted social problem growing, not exactly the green shoots ministers talk about. But they will be gone like the last crowd and the problem will still be growing into someone else's problem. name;y our through crime. Unsolved crime.

Are we slowly falling apart mentally, all the while been taxed from the moment we wake to pay for.....what exactly? Ex Tickccshhits on 1800 pw? TV licences for a station that is soft 'n' silky at the best with 'tough' interviews? IMO our sense of outrage has been eroded, we do not really care anymore, we let it happen and whimper outrage.

All that is left of the Irish spirit of rebellion (against who, for what) is the likes of P.ie and a myriad of other keyboard warriors like myself whose thoughts have little or no meaning anywhere outside the actual blog community they are involved with. Does anyone know Burnout on any other site? yes by different names with the same posted thoughts (but no not me...I am actually only on P.ie). But is that it? is that the future of rebellion against what is perceived as 'not the right way'.

Is posting comments on blog sites the sum total of public rebellion, against the likes of Fine Fail's incompetence and Fianna Gael and Labours lethargic attempts to be different while just being the same in a different time period. Amazing because no one up there is listening. And if there are problems gathering and growing and no one is listening there will be social consequences.
I reckon a lot are waiting for the opportunity in 2014 locals.

ruserious

I don't mean to sound like a bad guy but was it government failure that they did not have a functioning EPIRB on board?

Magror14

Very sorry for the families but can someone articulate why the government of some two years is responsible for this appalling tragedy. Surely its a bit early to be assigning blame.

automaticforthepeople

Successive Govt Marone Policy Criticised at funeral of Waterford drownings

Don't quite think that the altar is the place to attack marine policy given that the free market is responsible for the collapse of most fish stocks. EU quotas its seems are the reason cited by relatives of the Bolger Brothers who drowned tragically on Wednesday why they were fishing in a 19 ft boat.

Grief turns to anger as Coalition is denounced at brothers' funeral - Independent.ie

Typo in heading please mod fix!

slippy wicket

Did they have a marine radio with them.
If not, that would be more of a factor in their deaths than government policy.

mr. jings

Not to derail the thread, but it's typical of the Indo to headline as the Coalition being denounced, when the speaker at the funeral blamed 'successive governments of all hues'. I'm no FG or Labour man, but it's pretty gross and on form of the Indo to use a real tragedy to take cheap political potshots.

automaticforthepeople

Not to derail the thread, but it's typical of the Indo to headline as the Coalition being denounced, when the speaker at the funeral blamed 'successive governments of all hues'. I'm no FG or Labour man, but it's pretty gross and on form of the Indo to use a real tragedy to take cheap political potshots.
Agree with you on that and have pointed that out in the heading.

emulator

I don't mean to sound like a bad guy but was it government failure that they did not have a functioning EPIRB on board?
What are the regulations these days regarding vessel size and EPIRBs ?

Shocking tragedy.... my thoughts would be with the families.

Congalltee

This is typical of media and the indo in particular. The speaker was talking about the broad thrust of policy making risk taking for lesser rewards by reason of the quota system and the low price received by fishermen when compared with the retail price. This has been the effects of policy since 1973. The indo trivialises his point by twisting it into a personal attack on this government and minister Simon coveney who attended the funeral. Personality stories triumph over policy.

elliebee

They died of hypothermia apparently.

My understanding is that fishermen are being forced into taking risks to keep food on their tables.

Tea Party Patriot

They were, they died of hypothermia from the cold ocean water. You seem to think that it was akin to getting into difficulty in a swimming pool.

Mushroom

"Informed sources say the Bolgers’ punt was equipped with an electronic position indicating radio beacon [EPIRB], which should activate once it is submerged in water, but it didn’t activate as the boat didn’t capsize, although she had taken on some water." Irish Times

New Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom