• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Successor to Cardinal Brady to be announnced today

automaticforthepeople

Breaking news reports a succesor to Cardinal Brady is to be announced simultaneously in Dublin and Rome at 11 this morning. Surely a snub to Armagh given that Armagh is the ecclesiastical capital of Ireland?

Ryan Tubbs

Sanity has prevailed at long last.

However, I very much doubt that the geniuses in the Vatican will appoint the man they should appoint, ie. Archbishop Martin.

My money is on a grey, anonymous figure, like the new Bishop of Limerick appointed last week.

Spanner Island

Successor!

Why?

Has Brady been jailed for covering up child abuse or is he just moving into cushy retirement?

Grumpy Jack

So it seems the new Primate of All-Ireland will be Archbishop Martin after all - and eventually Cardinal Martin.

mr. jings

Successor!

Why?

Has Brady been jailed for covering up child abuse or is he just moving into cushy retirement?
But...but...but...different times...we didn't know what paedophilia was back then...er...non priests do it too...

lying eyes

Sanity has prevailed at long last.

However, I very much doubt that the geniuses in the Vatican will appoint the man they should appoint, ie. Archbishop Martin.

My money is on a grey, anonymous figure, like the new Bishop of Limerick appointed last week.
Looks like you were right.

Ramon Mercadar

So it seems the new Primate of All-Ireland will be Archbishop Martin after all - and eventually Cardinal Martin.
But the wrong Martin.

west'sawake

On the Irish Times web site it is confirmed that it is Monsignor Eamon Martin of Derry, not Archbishop Diarmuid Martin of Dublin, who takes the See of Armagh, and quite likely then will be Primate and Cardinal. Wrong Martin for the other Martin luvvies, I'm afraid.

Grumpy Jack

But the wrong Martin.
We'll see in time.

When Brady retires, Ireland will need a cardinal - and Martin (D) may be in a stronger position than Martin (E). Precedent was set by JPII when he gave Connell and Dublin the red hat over the younger and more inexperienced Brady in Armagh.

Of course, those appointments both ended up going pear-shaped for the Irish Church and Rome.

In the end, it will depend how Benny feels about Diarmuid.

Last edited:

Andrew49

Twitter
AndrewSB49
Brady is not going empty-handed. Ratzinger has awarded him a special 'Dealing With It' Papal Medal.

Samell

So we have an all Ireland monkey now?

That's a slap in the face to the creationists.

LamportsEdge

This should be interesting. I'll be watching who in the Irish establishment kicks off the usual round of 'tributes' to a defunct cardinal.

It should prove to be an exercise in exquisite non-mentioning of the obvious taint associated with Brady.

And I for one will be watching with interest which politicians and public figures make the attempt at a 'tribute' for a man more deserving of ethical condemnation.

LamportsEdge

Archbishop Diarmuid Martin will be busy for the next few weeks anyway as he attends the World Economic Forum in Davos. He is down on the list as an attendee. Then again he is one of the church's moneymen in that his previous role before joining the 'Dealing With It' Squad in Ireland was to attend such meetings in Switzerland and New York as a Vatican economics observer.

'Tis a long way from the missions and th' oul Trocaire box sitting on the classroom window-ledge.

Carl Claudius

But...but...but...different times...we didn't know what paedophilia was back then...er...non priests do it too...
the church is the official scapegoat for all the abuse. lets ignore any secular shortcomings.

them were different times in the eighties when folk did not know anything about sex or what was right or wrong. maybe the ministers for justice of the time should be brought to answer for brushing things under the carpet.

People should have sought help outside of Ireland in secular England, free of the RC reign of terror.
What the kids should have done was write to sir jimmy saville to fix it for them.

Carl Claudius

This should be interesting. I'll be watching who in the Irish establishment kicks off the usual round of 'tributes' to a defunct cardinal.

It should prove to be an exercise in exquisite non-mentioning of the obvious taint associated with Brady.

And I for one will be watching with interest which politicians and public figures make the attempt at a 'tribute' for a man more deserving of ethical condemnation.

you get that everywhere and it is to be taken with a pinch of salt. there were plenty of tribute to CJ haughey when he stood down and even more when he went the way of truth.

Carl Claudius

Every day that the man continues in office is another slap in the face to those two victims and all other victims of clerical abuse. Why does he not retire effective immediately?
I wonder about what kind of parents would let their kids be abused and consent to a vow of silence on the matter?

I wonder were they paid for their silence?