Sudden Death of Irish Rugby Legend Anthony Foley

owedtojoy

Statement from IRFU and Munster Rugby:

“It is with deep regret that the Irish Rugby Football Union and Munster Rugby must advise of the passing overnight of Munster Rugby head coach Anthony Foley, at the team hotel in Paris,” the official statement read.

“Munster Rugby management are liaising directly with Anthony's family and will provide them with any assistance and support required.

“The IRFU and Munster Rugby pass on our deepest sympathies to all of Anthony's family and friends and ask for privacy for the family at this sad time."

They have also confirmed that today’s match will be rescheduled as a result.

Rest in Peace.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/2016/1016/824493-munster-head-coach-anthony-foley-dies-suddenly/

PBP voter

Seems like only yesterday that his made his debut for Ireland.

One of the best Irish rugby players of the last 20 years and a key player for Munster in their glory years in the European Cup.

RIP.

Clanrickard

That is shocking. Only 42. RIP

NiallGK

I'm stunned by this news. A great rugby brain and proud Limerick man. RIP Axel.

automaticforthepeople

Huge shock, I remember his father playing alongside the late Moss Keane in the game in 78 when Munster beat some crowd called the All Blacks.

God is assembling a fine pack with Con Houlihan on reporting duties.

Huge shock, I remember his father playing alongside the late Moss Keane in the game in 78 when Munster beat some crowd called the All Blacks.

God is assembling a fine pack with Con Houlihan on reporting duties.
The halt-time non-talk at that match has gone down in history. I imagine he absorbed a lot of that lore.

Zapped(CAPITALISMROTS)

Twitter
daxxdrake
Munster lost a hero today. Keep Scrumming Axel. R>I<P

Roberto Jordan

I'm stunned by this news. A great rugby brain and proud Limerick man. RIP Axel.
He was actually a Clare man.....

Even though he was known to some friends of mine I thought he was older , I guess because he was a key player to Shannon so young.

RIP

daveL

Tragic. Hate hearing of any young person dying no matter who they are. You just never know your time. :(

Elvis jaffacake

:cry: He was a fantastic man, sportsman and Clareman.

im axeled

one of the online news outlets has a video of the munster fans murdering the fields of athenry outside the stadium were todays game was to be held, as a tribute to him
it seems his dad was in france for the game

statsman

Terrible, terrible news. One of the best 8s we've ever produced, and a humble guy with it.

D

Deleted member 45466

RIP Axel.

An excellent No.8, particularly when you consider that he was usually coming off the back of a retreating scrum (both Munner and Ireland). More brain than brawn IMO, but had a powerful forward drive.

At the heart of the mean pack (scrum aside!) that won the Heiny in '06.

Didn't score many tries for in green or red, but I remember him putting in an epic performance at Twickers in '04, and this is one of my favourite team - any team - tries; watch Foley take on three English backs (Cohen, Grayson and Balshaw - all big blokes).

[video=youtube;AlPf3N7KQkk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlPf3N7KQkk[/video]

DeBanksofDeLee

Tragic news the man was only 42, such a huge loss and utter devastation for his family. A great Clareman a Munster rugby legend and Ireland too, his deeds on the field can never be match he was one of the unique breed who played in both the tail end of the amateur era and professional era. he made his Ireland debut against England in the old Lansdowne Road in 1995.
RIP Anthony Axel Foley.
LEGEND.

New Threads

Most Replies