Suggested On PK Today The Next GE Seies Of Leaders' Debates To Exclude FF!

SlickWilly

This is on the basis of the recent opinion poll with the Eff Effers on 11% and that's before the savage upcomming budget, with Gerry taking the former Eff Eff space in the tv debate studio. This would have more validity if Biffo is taken out as leader beforehand, but still a reasonable enough idea, which I would support!

rep32

And rightly so, why give a platform before an election to a party that caused the mess we are in and exclude a party which the people seem to have more faith in.

Alexis Colby

I don't know
i think it might suit them, not have to explain themselves
Cowen/Hanafin/Martin should be dragged on stage and reminded of every thing they have done

LongShanks

Love it.

Only caveat is that it make make them circle the wagons more and adopt an us agin the world attitude...oh wait a minute

anewbeginning

I'd be all in favour of denying FF the oxygen of publicity and free airtime.

Knowing the stupidity of vast numbers of the Irish electorate, they would probably be impressed by the FF leaders performance in the debates and decide at the last minute to switch their vote to FF. It's happened several times before after all. There is no doubt Eoghan Harris will do a repeat on the LLS show as well, and more people will switch to FF.

Never ever underestimate the stupidity of people who vote FF.

YouOkNow

I'd be all in favour of denying FF the oxygen of publicity and free airtime.

Knowing the stupidity of vast numbers of the Irish electorate, they would probably be impressed by the FF leaders performance in the debates and decide at the last minute to switch their vote to FF. It's happened several times before after all. There is no doubt Eoghan Harris will do a repeat on the LLS show as well, and more people will switch to FF.

I take it you are a long time supporter then, yeah ?

derm0t

If only Cruise O' Brien were still alive - how about Section 32 of the Broadcasting Act (making it a crime for an FF member to be interviewed on Radio or TV?)

God, that's a great idea, going forward.

Munion

Sure why don't we just forgo the whole democracy thing altogether!

Keith-M

Website
www.allkindsofeverything.ie
Can't be done because the outgoing government has to be a choice. It is a tricky scenario so I think there should be three debates (perhaps one on TV3)
FF vs FG
FF vs LP vs FG
LP vs SF vs GP

That ay the three bigger parties get to do two debates and the two minor parties do one.

D

Deleted member 17573

This was an idiotic suggestion and I was disappointed that PK - who is usually on the ball - let it run for a few minutes. When he did point out that it was rubbish it sounded very much as if somebody had quietly explained that to him. What the proposal actually said was that opinion polls should be given precedence over the most recent GE result.

irishpancake

anewbeginning;3247558[B said:
]I'd be all in favour of denying FF the oxygen of publicity and free airtime.[/B]

Would it not be ironic and funny in the extreme if a new Section-31 type broadcasting exclusion was used against Harris :lol:

SideysGhost

This was an idiotic suggestion and I was disappointed that PK - who is usually on the ball - let it run for a few minutes. When he did point out that it was rubbish it sounded very much as if somebody had quietly explained that to him. What the proposal actually said was that opinion polls should be given precedence over the most recent GE result.
C'mere if the election is in say 6 months time, and if throughout that period FF are consistently fourth in the polls on 13% or under, and simply on those numbers will not under any circumstances be providing the next Taoiseach as even if they get back into Govt they'll be the junior partner with either Lab or FG leading the Govt and providing the Taoiseach, then why on earth should they get a slot on the main debate - which is supposed to be after all a debate between the choices for Taoiseach?

The main debate next time should be between Enda and Eamonn, and let Clowen take his appropriate place around the small table with Gerry, Gormless and the other minor party leaders.

irishpancake

C'mere if the election is in say 6 months time, and if throughout that period FF are consistently fourth in the polls on 13% or under, and simply on those numbers will not under any circumstances be providing the next Taoiseach as even if they get back into Govt they'll be the junior partner with either Lab or FG leading the Govt and providing the Taoiseach, then why on earth should they get a slot on the main debate - which is supposed to be after all a debate between the choices for Taoiseach?

The main debate next time should be between Enda and Eamonn, and let Clowen take his appropriate place around the small table with Gerry, Gormless and the other minor party leaders.
+1

Munion

Yeah, just like refusing to hold Bye-Elections becoz you were scared sh1tless of the results, and rightly so.........

There will be a reckoning, very soon...........
Any regular p.ie poster will know I think all bye-elections should be held within 6/8 weeks of the seat being vacated. I would support legislation to enforce this.

D

Deleted member 17573

Because polls are not an element of the democratic process - merely a sideshow that is open to manipulation by media barons.

EUrJokingMeRight

Sure why don't we just forgo the whole democracy thing altogether!
That has been a cornerstone policy of this government thus far.

Goodbody

Cowen could appear on a Network 2, B list Debate. Along with Patricia McKenna, Ulick O'Connor and someone complaining about flouridation in water.

New Threads