• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Suicide and suicide prevention: Taboo ? Decriminalisation?

Fallen_Angel

This is a subject area that is still highly-stigmatised, as many people feel they cannot talk to people even close family and friends about how they are feeling. It may be a very minor problem, but we all know that even small minor problems can become so big, nobody could be expected to deal with them.

As many people die from suicide each year as die on our roads.

There's not a family in the country that hasn't been affected by suicide.

I was just wondering why we use the phrase "to commit suicide". Is it technically a crime and if so should we decriminalise it???

Is it true that there is only one suicide intervention centre(www.pieta.ie) in Dublin and if so why are there no other centres accross the country in Cork, Limerick, Galway, Waterford ???

Should there be a national forum on suicide and suicide pervention, so that it would help remove the stigma from the whole issue???

evercloserunion

I heard somewhere that a fairly high percentage (can't remember what percentage) of delayed trains are due to people throwing themselves on the tracks. The reason suicides are so rarely reported in the media in comparison to murders and assaults is that there is a fear that it would encourage more attempts. The danger with discussion about suicide is that even bringing the topic up in conversation could be enough to encourage some of the more vulnerable.

Not sure if suicide is a crime, I'll check the relevant law over the weekend. The only relevant case I can remember is one where a judge held that neither a coroner nor his jury can find a verdict of suicide, because suicide is an offence and a coroner is prohibited by legislation from finding a verdict that would imply or impose civil or criminal liability. The case is State v Skully, or something like that.

Carrier

Website
www.newrepublicanforum.ie
RedStar1916 said:
I heard somewhere that a fairly high percentage (can't remember what percentage) of delayed trains are due to people throwing themselves on the tracks. The reason suicides are so rarely reported in the media in comparison to murders and assaults is that there is a fear that it would encourage more attempts. The danger with discussion about suicide is that even bringing the topic up in conversation could be enough to encourage some of the more vulnerable.

Not sure if suicide is a crime, I'll check the relevant law over the weekend. The only relevant case I can remember is one where a judge held that neither a coroner nor his jury can find a verdict of suicide, because suicide is an offence and a coroner is prohibited by legislation from finding a verdict that would imply or impose civil or criminal liability. The case is State v Skully, or something like that.
Regarding train delays - quite a few are down to people committing suicide on the tracks. Actually, the Stereophonics song 'Local Boy in the Photograph' is about that very thing. It might be seen as a quick way of ending your life but it has a very bad effect on the train drivers.

Keane

Within a five mile radius, two Christmas Day and one Saturday night, and just tonight a friend of a friend in Monaghan. One teenager, one in 20's, one in 40's and one in 80's. drink a factor in just one case but all are men. This is getting out of control and nothing is being done by government to help stop these heartbreaking situations...there is a petition on Facebook to demand more action to help prevent them. If you come across it PLEASE sign it. It's gone totally out of control.

Northtipp

What a poignant tweet on this very poignant day of the year. Makes one stop and think.

@EvanneNiC: This Christmas, our house is one of too many coping with the recent loss of a loved one by suicide. Mind each other, hug, talk, remember xxx