Suicide by Text

silverharp

A case started today in Massachusetts where a Michelle Carter is accused of persuading her boyfriend, Conrad Roy, to kill himself in 2014. Carter, 20, has pleaded not guilty to charges of involuntary manslaughter and has waived her right to a jury.

Its real black widow stuff but the law in the state doesnt cover this type of situation so my guess is that she will be found not guilty.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/06/06/us/suicide-texting-manslaughter-trial.html

TAUNTON, Mass. — The teenage couple shared mundane text messages — about a walk and a trip to get ice cream. But there were darker ones.

“It’s time, babe,” Michelle Carter, then 17, texted to her boyfriend, Conrad Roy, who had just texted that he was “ready.”

“You know that,” she wrote. “When you get back from the beach you’ve gotta do it. You’re ready.”

“Okay, I will,” Mr. Roy, 18, typed back, adding: “No more thinking.”

“Yes, no more thinking,” Ms. Carter wrote. “You need to just do it.”

On Tuesday, Ms. Carter, now 20, is to stand trial here on a charge of involuntary manslaughter in the death of Mr. Roy, who was found dead in his truck in 2014, after that exchange of text messages, more texts and two phone calls.

Mr. Roy was found near a compression pump that had filled the car with carbon monoxide, in a Kmart parking lot in Fairhaven, Mass., and his death was deemed a suicide. But prosecutors say Ms. Carter was to blame.

The case against Ms. Carter is not without precedent, but such cases are rare and raise unusual challenges for prosecutors: To what extent can one person be responsible — and criminally liable — for the suicide of another person?
summary of some of the prosecution's opening arguments

raetsel

If your 20 year old son was the suicide victim you'd want her facing a long prison service, if the prosecution case is an accurate reflection of the facts.

Betson

She is a sick attention seeking peice of trash who longed to play the grieving victim in public.

But ultimately he made his own decision to take his own life , she should be found not guilty of this charge.

razorblade

She is a sick bitch without a shadow of a doubt but it wasnt like she held a gun to his head, he could have just decided not to do it, but be choose to end his life, yes what she did was wrong but he didnt have to go through with it but unfortunatly he made the final decision to end his life.

Catalpast

Do we not have a Man in Prison here today for Murder

- for doing much the same thing?

GDPR

I solved this problem by blocking PMs from certain posters on here ..... :)

fat finger

She is a sick bitch without a shadow of a doubt but it wasnt like she held a gun to his head, he could have just decided not to do it, but be choose to end his life, yes what she did was wrong but he didnt have to go through with it but unfortunatly he made the final decision to end his life.
the female of the species is more deadly than the male

raetsel

At one stage when he was having second thoughts and got out of the vehicle she allegedly urged him to get back in. If true she should pay a price for that. It is too much of a simplification to suggest that it was his decision alone. His state of mind needs to be taken into account. If everything that is alleged is true then I hope she goes down for a very long time.

mr_anderson

She is a sick attention seeking peice of trash who longed to play the grieving victim in public.

But ultimately he made his own decision to take his own life , she should be found not guilty of this charge.
Exactly.
People don't masturbate because someone told them to 'go fúck yourself'.

I'm sorry, but if someone is in such a psychological state that they'll commit suicide over a series of text messages sent by a 17yo, then even if they escaped that scenario, it's only a matter of time before they'd succumb to another.

She should be called every name under the sun in court by the judge though, so she could be described as such publicly for the rest of her sorry-ass life, without the ability to sue.

razorblade

At one stage when he was having second thoughts and got out of the vehicle she allegedly urged him to get back in. If true she should pay a price for that. It is too much of a simplification to suggest that it was his decision alone. His state of mind needs to be taken into account. If everything that is alleged is true then I hope she goes down for a very long time.
Yes she is a bitch for encouraging him to take his own life but at the end of the day he made the final choice to kill himself, if someone told you to jump of a cliff would you go ahead and do it, just because someone tells you to do something doesnt mean you have to do it you can always just say no.

*EPIC SUCCESS*

If it can be proven that he had a psychological or personality disorder then I would be of the opinion that she is culpable to a large degree.

If not, then unfortunately, no matter what she said, it was his own decision and actions and I fail to see how she is guilty of being anything other than a sick and broken person.

artfoley56

:roll:

Analogies are really not your strongest suit....................
an analogy would be more appropriate than a 5 knuckle shuffle for someone told to go fnck themselves

HYENA

Probably the reason why Norin lost her phone, too many people ringing her to jump without specifying from how tall a building.

talkingshop

I don't think she should be charged with manslaughter, but I'd be quite happy for which she did - repeatedly urging someone to commit suicide, to be a criminal offence carrying a penalty of a few years in jail.

GDPR

Is there no legislation applicable to brainwashing/corrupting someone who is vulnerable and probably mentally ill ?
If she had directed him to leave a bomb somewhere , shed have been up on charges of directing terrorism. If she had directed him to murder someone else or attack a gang , shed be an accomplice or be up on organized crime charges. It looks to me that she planned , organized and directed his death by his own hand.

silverharp

Guilty

[video=youtube;cvgW0-e8-cQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvgW0-e8-cQ[/video]

silverharp

judge leading up to decision

[video=youtube;A4i6bGFfQ9E]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4i6bGFfQ9E[/video]

Dimples 77

Duplicate Account
A case started today in Massachusetts where a Michelle Carter is accused of persuading her boyfriend, Conrad Roy, to kill himself in 2014. Carter, 20, has pleaded not guilty to charges of involuntary manslaughter and has waived her right to a jury.

Its real black widow stuff but the law in the state doesnt cover this type of situation so my guess is that she will be found not guilty.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/06/06/us/suicide-texting-manslaughter-trial.html

summary of some of the prosecution's opening arguments

You ended up being wrong there.

Thankfully the principles underlying the existing law were applied in the case, even though as you indicate there is no mention in the current law of specifically using texts as a means of communications.

The judge did the right thing and applied the principles involved, as opposed to worrying about the method of communication.

New Threads

Most Replies