• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

suicide stats

lostexpectation

Website
dublinstreams.blogspot.com
Last edited:

seabhcan

“In 2010 our rate of suicide ranked 6th lowest in the EU and this position is unlikely to change dramatically.”

Wow. I always thought we had a higher than normal rate. Seems the opposite is true. Seems we have a lower rate than the US, Canada, the UK, France, New Zealand, Japan, South Korea, etc, etc.

List of countries by suicide rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

lostexpectation

Website
“In 2010 our rate of suicide ranked 6th lowest in the EU and this position is unlikely to change dramatically.”

Wow. I always thought we had a higher than normal rate. Seems the opposite is true. Seems we have a lower rate than the US, Canada, the UK, France, New Zealand, Japan, South Korea, etc, etc.
still too high don't ya think seabhcan

---
this
He noted a recent call by Prof Kevin Malone of UCD school of medicine for the implementation of a real-time database for teen and young adult suicides.

Last edited:

commonman

Statistics in this country, all depends what the government wants us to hear.

Rocky

Nearly two a day. Shocking.
And men accounted for 81% of them. There is something seriously wrong there and barely a word about it and I have absolutely no doubt that if it was the other way round there would be.

tigerben

Our town has had a big burden with suicide, theres a section of the graveyard that would bring tears to anyone's eyes walking through to see the amount of young people buried there.

Ribeye

Winston Smith thought about commiting suicide a lot,

See how it works yet?

commonman

Our town has had a big burden with suicide, theres a section of the graveyard that would bring tears to anyone's eyes walking through to see the amount of young people buried there.
so sad, its seems to be in pockets around the country.

firefly123

I'd be at one a month at least lately. The type if people doing it has changed. A lot more 'respectable' types. Very tough on whoever finds them.

dizillusioned

Again, this figure must be based on the number of deaths where suicide was registered as the cause of death. In quite a few cases this is not registered for a variety of reasons. Having lost close friends to suicide, I can confirm that those left behind and those that find the person are devastated. Especially if no note was left.

Personally, I suspect that the numbers are higher than officially stated.

lostexpectation

Website
trying see how cso classifies them Statbank Database - Deaths Occurrence Listing Generated at 12:03 on 31MAY13 2011 total 525

X60 Intentional self-poisoning by and exposure to nonopioid analgesics, antipyretics and antirheumatics3
X61 Intentional self-poisoning by and exposure to antiepileptic, sedative-hypnotic, antiparkinsonism and psychotropic drugs, not elsewhere classified5
X62 Intentional self-poisoning by and exposure to narcotics and psychodysleptics [hallucinogens], not elsewhere classified1
X63 Intentional self-poisoning by and exposure to other drugs acting on the autonomic nervous system..
X64 Intentional self-poisoning by and exposure to other and unspecified drugs, medicaments and biological substances18
X65 Intentional self-poisoning by and exposure to alcohol..
X66 Intentional self-poisoning by and exposure to organic solvents and halogenated hydrocarbons and their vapours..
X67 Intentional self-poisoning by and exposure to other gases and vapours8
X68 Intentional self-poisoning by and exposure to pesticides3
X69 Intentional self-poisoning by and exposure to other and unspecified chemicals and noxious substances1
X70 Intentional self-harm by hanging, strangulation and suffocation392
X71 Intentional self-harm by drowning and submersion44
X72 Intentional self-harm by handgun discharge3
X73 Intentional self-harm by rifle, shotgun and larger firearm discharge14
X74 Intentional self-harm by other and unspecified firearm discharge6
X75 Intentional self-harm by explosive material..
X76 Intentional self-harm by smoke, fire and flames3
X77 Intentional self-harm by steam, hot vapours and hot objects..
X78 Intentional self-harm by sharp object8
X79 Intentional self-harm by blunt object..
X80 Intentional self-harm by jumping from a high place8
X81 Intentional self-harm by jumping or lying before moving object6
X82 Intentional self-harm by crashing of motor vehicle1
X83 Intentional self-harm by other specified means1
X84 Intentional self-harm by unspecified means..

2007 to 2010 are based on the number of deaths occurring in the year.

2011 data are provisional and are based on the number of deaths registered within the year as opposed to occurring in the year

.. indicates that the observation is missing or fall under the limit of discretion/uncertainty.

Last edited:

an innocent abroad

Again, this figure must be based on the number of deaths where suicide was registered as the cause of death. In quite a few cases this is not registered for a variety of reasons. Having lost close friends to suicide, I can confirm that those left behind and those that find the person are devastated. Especially if no note was left.

Personally, I suspect that the numbers are higher than officially stated.
Wasn't there a report recently where some coroners were not finding in some cases of suicide?... the reason one coroner put it was, the person might have changed his mind at the last minute,?::confused:

Lonewolfe

Wasn't there a report recently where some coroners were not finding in some cases of suicide?... the reason one coroner put it was, the person might have changed his mind at the last minute?
You're joking?

I'm really amazed to hear that we have less than European average suicide rates.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies