• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Suicides increased by 100% in 15 years.

Truth.ie

Startling revelation.
Anyone have a clue as to what the Hell is causing this?
Since 1998 suicides have increased by 100%.
I thought "peace" meant less stress. I read once that suicide levels were at their lowest in 1972 (height of troubles)
Are Doctors too loose with the medications and pills?
Is it the economy?
Decline of the family?
Cult of binge drinking?
Or are people just not as nice to each other as in previous years?

Can we keep SF/IRA, flags and religion out of this thread?
BBC News - NI suicide rate in NI up by 100 per cent says DUP MP Nigel Dodds

vivabrigada

There was an excellent section about this on this mornings Nolan Show.
I can't see it on the iplayer yet, it should be up tomorrow.

between the bridges

I have no idea what the answer is, but it would be interesting to see what age group/s have increased? the link mentioned the internet, now i am not saying that is the answer but certainly social media and web access have come about in the last 15 years...

belfast1981

very worrying.

A young girl in my local area killed herself on Monday. Very unexpected. Though I have noticed a rise in suicide prevention support groups lately which is good.

Northtipp

very worrying.

A young girl in my local area killed herself on Monday. Very unexpected. Though I have noticed a rise in suicide prevention support groups lately which is good.
If your on Belfast, and I'm not sure, I'm surprised you haven't noticed suicide increase. It's a huge problem in Belfast.

DT123

From my experience ,it seems to be predominantly younger people doing this.That should ,you would imagine ,rule out the "Troubles" link.Peer pressure,religion and expectations of what constitutes success in NI ,not being met,combined with a serious lack of opportunity for advancement would be a few starting points.

Truth.ie

Doctors handing out anti-depressants to every young fella or girl who has a bad day can't be healthy.
I rarely go to the Doctors but went once when I had a red mark on the white of my eye.
He asked if I was sleeping OK, and I said "not much recently, no".
Asked if I was under stress? I replied "a few things on my mind, yes".
i thought it was an infection, but he just scribbled a note and told me to take these tabs 3 times a day.
They were anti-depressants.
I didn't take a single one, (don't believe in them) and after a few days it was gone.
Can't believe the amount of healthy young people popping prozacs and sleeping tablets rather than trying to man up.

belfast1981

If your on Belfast, and I'm not sure, I'm surprised you haven't noticed suicide increase. It's a huge problem in Belfast.
Not in Belfast at the minute. Been out of it a while due to work. Mostly in South Down and Newry at the minute.

belfast1981

Doctors handing out anti-depressants to every young fella or girl who has a bad day can't be healthy.
I rarely go to the Doctors but went once when I had a red mark on the white of my eye.
i thought it was an infection, but he just scribbled a note and told me to take these tabs 3 times a day.
I didn't take a single one, (don't believe in them) and after a few days it was gone.
Can't believe the amount of healthy young people popping prozacs and sleeping tablets rather than trying to man up.
Yea, this is a problem.

I went to the doctors after a car crash, I was having issues sleeping too so he gave me an anti-depressant which can be used for pain as well as help you sleep and is given out even if not depressed. Needless to say after a week I could not take them anymore. Amitriptyline I believe it was called.

bona na croin

Startling revelation.
Anyone have a clue as to what the Hell is causing this?
Since 1998 suicides have increased by 100%.
I thought "peace" meant less stress. I read once that suicide levels were at their lowest in 1972 (height of troubles)
Are Doctors too loose with the medications and pills?
Is it the economy?
Decline of the family?
Cult of binge drinking?
Or are people just not as nice to each other as in previous years?
Those are all possible factors for the increase of suicide, there are many others.

I did an Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training (ASIST) course two weeks ago. I would recommend it to everyone. In NI, some organisations have no charge with others charging over £100. In the ROI it is generally free but can have a small charge (my course cost €10 which was for lunch on both days).

Last edited:

InsideImDancing

Very true, it's connected with the drink/drugs culture too. People need to realise that too much drink and drugs leads to a shocking deterioration in pretty much every aspect of your health, especially mental health.

Northtipp

Very true, it's connected with the drink/drugs culture too. People need to realise that too much drink and drugs leads to a shocking deterioration in pretty much every aspect of your health, especially mental health.
Respectfuly it's more than drink and drugs. If that's all it was it would have been an epidemic years ago.

Evergreenfinch

It would be interesting to see how much the suicide rate has increased, or decreased in the rest of the UK and RoI. I am wondering is the current economic situation a factor. I remember a couple of months ago there was a report on the numbers committing suicide in Greece because of the financial crisis.

Truth.ie

It would be interesting to see how much the suicide rate has increased, or decreased in the rest of the UK and RoI. I am wondering is the current economic situation a factor. I remember a couple of months ago there was a report on the numbers committing suicide in Greece because of the financial crisis.
The link in the O.P mentions a 7.8% increase in the U.k since last year alone.
6045 (reported) suicides in the U.K just last year alone.

Evergreenfinch

6000, shocking. Its charities that are usually at the heart of prevention of suicides or support for the families of suicide victims and the government is pulling the rug out from under them by cutting grants to good causes.

InsideImDancing

Respectfuly it's more than drink and drugs. If that's all it was it would have been an epidemic years ago.
It is more than D&D but they play a big roll in the increase imo. 15 years ago people were taking a few Es at a rave, these days it's fek'n week long sessions. It's the be all and end all for many in our culture and it's fek'n brutal.

You are right though there will be other reasons too, it's almost like suicide breeds suicide, it's so common now that people are thinking of it as a fek'n option. They don't realise that the vast majority of the chit they are worrying about is a load of rubbish when it really comes down to it.

You only think you have problems until you get hit with a real one.

Mattarigna

Agreed. Which is why I'm pretty much the only lad in my school who never drank.

J

Johnny Boy

I seem to recall that it was well known that the suicide rate dropped during the troubles.
I doubt if anyone could provide an entirely plausible explanation though.

Mattarigna

It is more than D&D but they play a big roll in the increase imo. 15 years ago people were taking a few Es at a rave, these days it's fek'n week long sessions. It's the be all and end all for many in our culture and it's fek'n brutal.

You are right though there will be other reasons too, it's almost like suicide breeds suicide, it's so common now that people are thinking of it as a fek'n option. They don't realise that the vast majority of the chit they are worrying about is a load of rubbish when it really comes down to it.

You only think you have problems until you get hit with a real one.
I think that the social expectations for lads is also a problem when it comes to young men commiting suicide. I know it's sterotypical to say that lads are expected to keep a tighter rein on emotions than women, but how else do you explain the fact that 4 TIMES as many males than females commit suicide? Even though I never seriously pondered about killing myself, at the deepest point of any of my bouts of depression(whenever it stikes) I do think of suicide as an option, albeit one I would never go through. But I can easily understand why it could be considered an option, if one really got desperate.

Mattarigna

I seem to recall that it was well known that the suicide rate dropped during the troubles.
I doubt if anyone could provide an entirely plausible explanation though.
That's one heck of a paradox, if I ever heard one. Maybe sectarian hatred encouraged some people to keep on going just to attack the other side?

That is REALLY odd if that was the case.