Sunday 26th September, Catholic women of Ireland to boycott mass

blacbloc

About time too!!

Patsy McGarry in the IT today reports about an 80-yr old woman, the mother of a monk who is organising a one-day boycott of mass:

Jennifer Sleeman from Clonakilty in Cork said she wants “to let the Vatican and the Irish church know that women are tired of being treated as second-class citizens”.

She has called on the Catholic women of Ireland to “join your sisters on Sunday, September 26th. On that one day boycott Mass. Stay at home and pray for change. We are the majority. We may have been protesting individually but unremarked on, but together we have strength and our absence, the empty pews, will be noticed”.
I hope every Catholic woman in the country will join her on the boycott on the Sunday 26th September.

She said: “Whatever change you long for, recognition, ordination, the end of celibacy, which is another means of keeping women out, join with your sisters and let the hierarchy know by your absence that the days of an exclusively male-dominated church are over.”
Full article here: Monk's mother calls on women to join one-day boycott of Mass - The Irish Times - Wed, Aug 11, 2010

Interista

The interesting thing is that this woman is a convert to Catholicism, presumably from some form of Protestantism. I would say the most logical thing (if logic can be brought into matters religious) would be for her to revert or convert to one of the liberal forms of Protestantism which have a far more enlightened attitude towards women. No chance of the Catholic church catching up, certainly not in this woman's lifetime.

blacbloc

She's wondering about that herself, judging from what she says in the article. Is on Radio 1 today at 1.45.

Fr. Hank Tree

The interesting thing is that this woman is a convert to Catholicism, presumably from some form of Protestantism. I would say the most logical thing (if logic can be brought into matters religious) would be for her to revert or convert to one of the liberal forms of Protestantism which have a far more enlightened attitude towards women. No chance of the Catholic church catching up, certainly not in this woman's lifetime.
What a shallow post. I suppose you would have told the Catholics in Ireland during the penal laws "convert to Protestantism lads, you'll be freer that way".
:rolleyes:

D

Dylan2010

one day? sure they'll all go Saturday evening on the sly. Pity Father Ted isnt still running, there is a plot line there

mr. jings

I would say the most logical thing (if logic can be brought into matters religious) would be for her to revert or convert to one of the liberal forms of Protestantism...QUOTE]

x1.

To be fair to the Catholic Church, it's pretty straight up about its dogma, ideology and practices, as well as the autocratic, penis-owning nature of its leadership. If you don't like these things, you're perfectly free to join a church of a different flavour...

Cato

Her naiveté is touching in that she believes that this would make one whit of a difference to the catholic church's appalling attitude towards women.

mr. jings

What a shallow post. I suppose you would have told the Catholics in Ireland during the penal laws "convert to Protestantism lads, you'll be freer that way".
Totally irrelevant, to the point of trolling. Presumably those Catholics in Ireland during the penal laws still wanted/thought themselves to be through and through Catholics, and were being forced to choose against their conscience by a ruling elite. Today we have what are essentially half baked, quasi Protestant Catholics wanting the Church to make precisely the kind of fundamental changes to itself that the Holly See etc have no intention of making. No third party here, I'm afraid, but I'm sure someone can wangle up a way of bring in the Brits.

Aristodemus

Cue lapsed Catholics and atheists coming on welcoming this move

Skrynesaver

I must admit i have huge difficulty understanding the mindset of a believer but there is a substantial difference between a 3rd party treating you as a second class citizen because of your belief and the church you believe in treating you this way.

Fr. Hank Tree

Totally irrelevant, to the point of trolling. Presumably those Catholics in Ireland during the penal laws still wanted/thought themselves to be through and through Catholics, and we're being forced to choose against their conscience bt a ruling elite. Today we have what are essentially half baked, quasi Protestant Catholics wanting the Church to make the fundamental changes to itself that the Holly See etc have no intention of making. No third party here, I'm afraid, but I'm sure someone cabn wangle up a way of bring in the the Brits.
Couldn't have missed the point more. Bravo.

*applauds*

blacbloc

Her naiveté is touching in that she believes that this would make one whit of a difference to the catholic church's appalling attitude towards women.
Not read or heard of anything like this in a Catholic country before - it's a first, step. Of course Sleeman doesnt imagine that Rome will be unbuilt in one day. Mass attendance and participation in Catholic events is now mainly by women. This sends a big signal to the church. The penis-owning, sex starved clergy will have to start getting used to the idea that if they want a church for all of the people it will have to be by and for both women and men. I hope the idea takes off like wildfire and spreads around the world, frankly.

borntorum

Wouldn't I be right in thinking that the Catholic Church hasn't suddenly become a conservative, reactionary, anti-female organisation over the last year or two, but has been this way for centuries, if not millenia? So what's suddenly bringing on this 'protest'? (I don't go to mass on Sundays either; will Patsy McGarry write an article about my principled stand?)

The Catholic Church is not a democracy. It's not a political party whose ideology can be changed at will. It is a theocratic autocracy which states that its belief system comes from God. Why the hell should it change for some old woman, or for the liberal religious correspondent of the Irish Times? If you don't like what the Catholic Church stands for, leave (or better still, don't join in the first place). Liberal Roman Catholicism is a contradiction in terms.

Interista

Well, since this woman was (presumably) raised in the Protestant faith, your point is a fololish one. What I'm saying is that if the role of women in the church is important to her, as it clearly is, she might consider (re)joining a faith which respected her wishes.

mrjings

To be fair to the Catholic Church, it's pretty straight up about its dogma, ideology and practices, as well as the autocratic, penis-owning nature of its leadership. If you don't like these things, you're perfectly free to join a church of a different flavour...
I agree - and that's exactly the point I was making.

To be honest, I don't have much time for these people, of whatever faith, complaining about how their religion doesn't cater to their worldview in every way. It's like the awful Irshad Manji whining about how Islam doesn't accept the fact that she's gay. Well, no! Islam, like Catholicism and most religions, would never claim to be liberal or to be accepting of feminism or all sexual practices. They're pretty upfront about that. You don't have to like that, but if you don't, you have the choice: convert to another religion, or better still imho, choose to belong to no religious denomination at all.

Last edited:

Fr. Hank Tree

What I'm saying is that if the role of women is important to her, as it clearly is, she might consider (re)joining a faith which respected her wishes.
This might be a hard point for you to grasp but for some people faith actually has, you know, meaning. It's not some empty accessory that you shop around for just like that.

Interista

This might be a hard point for you to grasp but for some people faith actually has, you know, meaning. It's not some empty accessory that you shop around for just like that.
Fair enough - I'll admit that the religious mindset is indeed hard for me to grasp!

But this woman has, to use your phrase, already 'shopped around' for her faith since she is a convert to Catholicism.

Skrynesaver

Ii freely admit to sharing this difficulty, but surely the Christian churches share the same story and basic beliefs, everything after that is tradition which separates them.

For a woman to voluntarily join the most misogynistic of them seems odd and I'd be inclined to echo the advice to get out with her sanity.

Aindriu

Wouldn't I be right in thinking that the Catholic Church hasn't suddenly become a conservative, reactionary, anti-female organisation over the last year or two, but has been this way for centuries, if not millenia? So what's suddenly bringing on this 'protest'? (I don't go to mass on Sundays either; will Patsy McGarry write an article about my principled stand?)

The Catholic Church is not a democracy. It's not a political party whose ideology can be changed at will. It is a theocratic autocracy which states that its belief system comes from God. Why the hell should it change for some old woman, or for the liberal religious correspondent of the Irish Times? If you don't like what the Catholic Church stands for, leave (or better still, don't join in the first place). Liberal Roman Catholicism is a contradiction in terms.
The above post proves the point that religion is the biggest agency of social control going and is nothing to do with any God. If one is to believe the New Testament regarding Christ then one assumes he is not happy with how the RCC treat women.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies