Sunday Bloody Sunday

Polly Ticks

Horrible stuff.

RIP to all who died that day.

Sincerely, RIP to all died throughout the Troubles, no matter what uniform they wore, if any, or what they flag or politics they were fighting for. Wastage of human life on all sides...

The best tribute we can pay, IMHO, is to be vigilant in making sure we never get to that stage again.

This means (without relinquishing ready to peacefully protest again if civil rights or security force corruption go backwards to the way they were in that period (I don't believe they will)), that we have to come down with all the available weight of the law on anyone (green or orange) involved in paramilitary violence.

We've come a long way, but despite being optimistic in the long-term, we have a generation or two to go...

Strawberry

The Bloody Sunday massacre happened on January 30th 1972. This is what we are discussing in this thread.

[video=youtube;xeK2PWqyGLQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeK2PWqyGLQ[/video]

Strawberry

Incorrect. 13 were killed on January 30. One more died 4 months later.

Blame Martin McGuinness and the IRA for starting a gun battle.
Blame Martin McGuinness...? Yeah piss off idiot.

Here is the British PM giving his verdict on the whole tragedy...
[video=youtube;5e3VxZwjQ7g]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5e3VxZwjQ7g[/video]

Northsideman

I know most here retreat into the arms of their own tribal political beliefs but do you really believe that to be true, like honestly?

Herr Rommel

Care to back this claim up ?

Herr Rommel

Some day with luck the scum who murdered the poor people will face justice similar to what the people of Iraq are not getting.

Strawberry

And then there was the burning of the British Embassy....

[video=youtube;jAuiFeVpUSs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAuiFeVpUSs[/video]

roc_

"He abused me, he beat me, he defeated me, he robbed me,"— in those who harbour such thoughts hatred will never cease. "He abused me, he beat me, he defeated me, he robbed me," —in those who do not harbour such thoughts hatred will cease. For hatred does not cease by hatred at any time: hatred ceases by love, this is an old rule.

Strawberry

"He abused me, he beat me, he defeated me, he robbed me,"— in those who harbour such thoughts hatred will never cease. "He abused me, he beat me, he defeated me, he robbed me," —in those who do not harbour such thoughts hatred will cease. For hatred does not cease by hatred at any time: hatred ceases by love, this is an old rule.
That's your fecking response to the Bloody Sunday massacre?

You stupid idiotic traitor. Go back to whatever country you owe allegiance to.

diaspora-mick

According to the Saville Report:
"Before the soldiers of Support Company went into the Bogside he was probably armed with a Thompson sub-machine gun, and though it is possible that he fired this weapon, there is insufficient evidence to make any finding on this."

But obviously you know better ...

TheWolf

Put down the Dutch Gold and go to bed.

roc_

Put it this way.

Who does not know it was a heinous atrocity. Who does not lament the innocent killed.

But it was also an event that increased tensions and warfare and thus in its own way lead to much more subsequent death and suffering than was caused on the day itself.

And still today, it continues to be wielded by complete morons like Strawberry to try and increase hostility towards communities living in Northern Ireland and exacerbate sectarian tension and conflict.

Yes, I say that as an Irishman. - There is wisdom in what I quoted at the top of this page.

GDPR

The OP was just saying it was the anniversary which is hardly boiling over with bitterness. It was Cruimh who brought hatred to this thread. It is sad that mature and rational discussion of the Troubles on both sides of the border and both sides of the low intensity war still seems as far away as ever.

New Threads

Most Replies