Sunday Independent's Marc Coleman on politically cowardly National Recovery Plan

patslatt

It's a marathon -- but even a bronze looks good - Analysis, Opinion - Independent.ie

This critique exposes the countinuing political cowardice in protecting the best paid public sector workers at the expense of social welfare,health care and the private sector.

Quote:

"It will also keep the public sector pension liability close to €108 billion,three times the cost of the bank bailout. And not one political party in the Dail opposes it."

dresden8

Oh look another ps bashing thread.

And oh look, patslatt started it.

Is it still 2008?

punchdrunk

It's a marathon -- but even a bronze looks good - Analysis, Opinion - Independent.ie

This critique exposes the countinuing political cowardice in protecting the best paid public sector workers at the expense of social welfare,health care and the private sector.

Quote:

"It will also keep the public sector pension liability close to €108 billion,three times the cost of the bank bailout. And not one political party in the Dail opposes it."
Where do you patslatt stand on tax exiles? Where does Marc Coleman stand on tax exiles?

hammer

"Where it should scrap quangos and merge local authorities, it raises VAT, income tax and property taxes.

It is also incompetent beyond belief. In March 2009 Brian Lenihan admitted that the 0.5 per cent rise in VAT inflicted in the October 2008 Budget cost the economy €700m. Now the plan expects to raise taxes from a 2 per cent rise in VAT.

On page 92, the plan admits that income levies introduced in October 2008 and doubled in April 2009, were a failure (a point made in this column more than a year ago). But the plan then proceeds to recommend more failed policies. Instead of a proper statutory indexing of income tax bands and thresholds and an end to the anti-employment and anti-family policy of tax individualisation, lower income workers are brought into the tax net in a way that leaves them vulnerable to stealth taxation in future. This will sap confidence, spending and employment."

I wouldn`t be a big fan of Marc`s, but he is right with all of the above.

Its a pity that our top DOF officials and Government cannot see it. It is so obvious.

Luigi Vampa

Its a pity that our top DOF officials and Government cannot see it. It is so obvious.
Do you not find it exceedingly suspicious that there is no mention of the fact we are in this mess is because of the nationalisation of certain private individuals speculation debt ? How many billions is that in comparison ?

cjudge

"Where it should scrap quangos and merge local authorities, it raises VAT, income tax and property taxes.

It is also incompetent beyond belief. In March 2009 Brian Lenihan admitted that the 0.5 per cent rise in VAT inflicted in the October 2008 Budget cost the economy €700m. Now the plan expects to raise taxes from a 2 per cent rise in VAT.

On page 92, the plan admits that income levies introduced in October 2008 and doubled in April 2009, were a failure (a point made in this column more than a year ago). But the plan then proceeds to recommend more failed policies. Instead of a proper statutory indexing of income tax bands and thresholds and an end to the anti-employment and anti-family policy of tax individualisation, lower income workers are brought into the tax net in a way that leaves them vulnerable to stealth taxation in future. This will sap confidence, spending and employment."

I still can't take any party with Marc 'The only way is up" Coleman and that mouth McGurk seriously.

Could FF be laying out a national plan set with landmines deliberately, which will in time ensure their return? Or are they just plain thick and lack the brains/brians to try to imagine another way.?

smallobear

He also quotes Marc Coleman of O'Reilly/IBEC media group and the national front party.

See more of Pat here ; YouTube - Pat Slattery's Secrets To Life Lasting Success & Making Money In Ireland
Ah there he is. The new David Brent!

Pat Slattery grew up dreaming about Affording a Big Mac from McDonalds, and now more often than not, its Silver Service!

What happened that pushed him so aggressively toward financial and material success, and how can he impact you?

Pat Slattery lives and breathes personal success, self-discovery and never ending development every day of his Life...

PART-TIME WORK: I now understand that my business must work for me, after years of being a slave to it, and this is one of the keys to success that I am super big into.

DREAM LIFE: I packed in an 18 hour day running my own business, running everybody else's life.

10K, 100k, 1,000,000 – Its just learning to add "0" s and I'll show you how

DO Less, GET More - Strategic Partnerships, Positioning For Massive Profits And Much, More More

patslatt

Do you not find it exceedingly suspicious that there is no mention of the fact we are in this mess is because of the nationalisation of certain private individuals speculation debt ? How many billions is that in comparison ?
Read the opening quote.

patslatt

wrong patslatt

Ah there he is. The new David Brent!

Pat Slattery grew up dreaming about Affording a Big Mac from McDonalds, and now more often than not, its Silver Service!

What happened that pushed him so aggressively toward financial and material success, and how can he impact you?

Pat Slattery lives and breathes personal success, self-discovery and never ending development every day of his Life...

PART-TIME WORK: I now understand that my business must work for me, after years of being a slave to it, and this is one of the keys to success that I am super big into.

DREAM LIFE: I packed in an 18 hour day running my own business, running everybody else's life.

10K, 100k, 1,000,000 – Its just learning to add "0" s and I'll show you how

DO Less, GET More - Strategic Partnerships, Positioning For Massive Profits And Much, More More

firefly123

Just out of curiosity pat. Is that 100 billion pension bill to be paid all at once or over the next number of years. If not all at once are the contributions of current evil PS workers covering the servicing of this cost or not? If they are then to what amount are we short. Could it be that PS pensions are paid by currently employed PS workers and that in many cases it is turning a profit for the state?
After all our contributions don't go in to a fund. They get put in to the day to day running of the state. Why do you think that is?
The 100 billion pension argument has a nice sound to it though doesn't it. Like the best paid PS in the world or ambulance drivers paid more than consultants. Sexy little soundbites that don't have to be true. They just have to get the mob angry so the heat is taken off the government and the banks and the captains of industry and the "wealth creators" who want to slash minimum wage so they can profit more.... Sorry I mean reinvest in the real economy.

Mitsui2

He also quotes Marc Coleman of O'Reilly/IBEC media group and the national front party.

See more of Pat here ; YouTube - Pat Slattery's Secrets To Life Lasting Success & Making Money In Ireland
Luigi, Luigi, Luigi - ROTFLMAO!!! I DEMAND you tell me - are you taking the p or is that actually our own "Obviously I know best" patslatt????

This is really too funny to be true!

Worse again is the child abuse aka Billy Barry tryout the kid is forced into at - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0-Mv-Kk3T4&NR=1

This is fantastic! Please Luigi - have you picked on an innocent PS or is this the real deal?

Mitsui2

truthisfree

Even better - absolutely fantastic - I feel EMPOWERED.

But is it our pet pat?

It's like seeing a Youtube clip of tonic failing to entertain punters in a drag club.

If it's a genuine spotting I dearly wish the rep button was back - I'd give you scads & scads & scads.

How can you know this is true? - though it certainly fits.
It is extremely distasteful to see your sneering attitude towards this poster who has denied he is in fact this PS, even if he was what harm is he doing to you no matter what business he is engaged in?

I have often read Pattslatts posts on here and he is a good poster often taking on the wrath of the Public Service single handed.

I has to be one of the worst cases of downright bad manners I have seen on here ever.

Mitsui2

It is extremely distasteful to see your sneering attitude towards this poster who has denied he is in fact this PS, even if he was what harm is he doing to you no matter what business he is engaged in?

I have often read Pattslatts posts on here and he is a good poster often taking on the wrath of the Public Service single handed.

I has to be one of the worst cases of downright bad manners I have seen on here ever.
a) You clearly have not watched the Youtube clips
b) Your phrase "often taking on the wrath of the Public Service single handed"
suggests that you should cop on - the PS is certainly overpaid in certain
areas but that was deliberately done (to frankly buy votes as a by-product) by the politicos who aligned their pay with the PS so as to line their own pockets while providing a first line of defence/slaughterable cannon fodder if things got worse.
c) Thanks to a government supported by conmen in a thousand fields, I believe my only son is supposedly something close to €150g in debt before he even does his leaving.
d)If one of these conmen is spouting solutions here, I believe it is a public service to the users of this site to reveal him as such
e) If this is the worst bad manners you've seen after more than a year here, you don't delve down to these depths very often - I'm a pussy!

Complete hypocrites got us where we are. My posts repeatedly ask the bould Luigi for verification, because the idea that patslatt might be this Celtic Tiger snakoil salesman on Youtube is effing hilarious. What exactly is your problem with that?

Right is right

Just out of curiosity pat. Is that 100 billion pension bill to be paid all at once or over the next number of years. If not all at once are the contributions of current evil PS workers covering the servicing of this cost or not? If they are then to what amount are we short. Could it be that PS pensions are paid by currently employed PS workers and that in many cases it is turning a profit for the state?
After all our contributions don't go in to a fund. They get put in to the day to day running of the state. Why do you think that is?
The 100 billion pension argument has a nice sound to it though doesn't it. Like the best paid PS in the world or ambulance drivers paid more than consultants. Sexy little soundbites that don't have to be true. They just have to get the mob angry so the heat is taken off the government and the banks and the captains of industry and the "wealth creators" who want to slash minimum wage so they can profit more.... Sorry I mean reinvest in the real economy.
http://www.ipe.com/news/irish-public-sector-pensions-hit-108bn_32663.php?s=bank of ireland
Public pensions accrued liability over ?108bn; Irish trade union leaders' pay/benefits top ?200,000
C&AG 2010 Report; Net cost of new Irish public pension entrant is 19.5% of salary; Net cost of additional 1 year service for ministers/ judges is 62% of salary

Does the 100bn coming from the CAG office sound ok to you or is that another made up figure?

The reason the govt pays from current spending is it can't afford to build a fund large enough to cover the payouts

Northern Ireland public sector schemes must be reformed, new report | CARDI : Centre for Ageing Research and Development in Ireland

same issue in NI

American states' pension funds: A gold-plated burden | The Economist - Same issue in US

Fisherman1

From the Irish Times

"The National Pensions Reserve Fund: an obituary
November 30, 2010 @ 12:30 am | by Laura Slattery
The National Pensions Reserve Fund (NPRF), which has died aged nine from infanticide caused by multiple stab wounds, was born under the premise that it would prepare the Irish State for a pensions “time-bomb” due to explode in the decades ahead as Ireland’s population ages inexorably into an impoverished abyss.

It was the best of what would prove to be a series of generally good times for its creator, then Minister for Finance Charlie McCreevy, who legislated that at least 1 per cent of gross national product would be committed to its coffers each year, on top of the proceeds from the flotation of the much-loved Eircom. This, he said, would pre-fund a rising public sector and State pension bill from 2025 and beyond. There were to be no drawdowns until that date. "

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies