Sunday Indo's campaign against Enda Kenny

Tony Soprano

I had to laugh this morning when I read the Indo talk about Taoiseach Gilmore and President Adams!! I wonder if the Indo now regret their relentless campaign aginst Enda Kenny.

Week in, week out The sunday Indo had ngative articles about Kenny. It was always a case of "indakinny" or "kenny lite". They were cheerleaders for FF, Bertie, Harney, Cowen, Sean Dunne etc.

FG were sneered at, whilst FF ministers were given weekly columns.
The Indo's campaign against kenny was relentless and it certainly succeeded.
Now that we've seen a shift to the left and FF on the brink of destruction, I wonder do they regret the way they went after FG and Kenny in particular??
wouldnt it be ironic if the Indo's campaign led to a left-wing govt???

Baron von Biffo

I had to laugh this morning when I read the Indo talk about Taoiseach Gilmore and President Adams!! I wonder if the Indo now regret their relentless campaign aginst Enda Kenny.

Week in, week out The sunday Indo had ngative articles about Kenny. It was always a case of "indakinny" or "kenny lite". They were cheerleaders for FF, Bertie, Harney, Cowen, Sean Dunne etc.

Now that we've seen a shift to the left and FF on the brink of destruction, I wonder do they regret the way they went after FG and Kenny in particular??
I think you'll find that the Sindo is trying to boost FG by stirring up a Reds under the beds scare.

tiny tim

I don't know Anto............ does anybody read or believe any of the unadulterated balderdash in that rag.

Tomas Mor

I think the wiser heads now realise that the real hatred the likes of Jody Corcoran, Ballysy O Connor and John Drennan, O Dea etc have for FG and Kenny went too far. Now they have Labour and SF to deal with, that is why they are attacking both now. Corcoran was in studio with Biffo on famous LLS "drink" interview with Tubridy, and did a sort of Bryan Dobson heart to heart interview with him in Tullamore - "how is your health and drinking now",where they both compared notes.

onlyasking

I think you'll find that the Sindo is trying to boost FG by stirring up a Reds under the beds scare.
Correct.

Never very subtle, but they know the extent of their own potential to influence the electorate. What needs to be rammed home by those who oppose the business-sector media is that the Indo in particular were crucial to the Bertie & Biffo re-election. And look where that got us.

Tomas Mor

could well be, seeing that Harris has defected again.

wombat

Never very subtle, but they know the extent of their own potential to influence the electorate.
Must admit to a little touch of smugness at the sight of someone else being s..t on but I still think anyone who wastes their money on it deserves everything they get;)

TonyB

Twitter
technopolitics
Yeah, huge offensive against Gilmore with today's headline, will see Labour retreating in the next poll in favour of FG. The centrist labour voters - former FF voters in the main - will desert for the more middle-class-friendly alternative to FF. Question for INM though is who do they support? They seem to be hammering everyone these days. Maybe that sells papers.

The hard left, and the moderate left who form a core vote for Labour are OK, and should tolerate this...it's the soft periphery, the recent gains that will cause trouble for Gilmore should the SF "burn the rich" get a sniff of government

corelli

The scary thing is that the paper does have influence, because of historical circumstances. However, why anyone would take a lead from a national paper who entertains that great big ignorant moron Brendan O'Connor on the front page beats me entirely.

The Sunday Independent was/is a great barometer of the celtic tiger. Barring possibly Gene Kerrigan and their sports department, it's populated by ill educated, and I don't mean that, of necessity, in the academic sense, lightweight commentators biased in favor of simple thinking and even more simple solutions, where no problem exists that can't be fixed with bungs of cash, where no decision should be difficult, and where social commentary is provided by old retired newsreaders and the ex lovers of discredited politicians. It has moved entirely from it's former space where it believed and advocated that people should not buy what they cannot afford and was supportive of national business, like Agri-food. They bought wholesale into the nuvo-riche lifestyle, paid for on credit, of our petty bourgeois z-list celebrities.

Simply put, there are a lot of morons in this country and they buy and take their views from the Sunday Independent, which is owned and ran and written in by morons.

consultant

More likely, it is the Sindo starting another Eoghan Harris-like smear campaign against ALL parties other than FF.

Worked in 2007

Present the appalling vistas of FG/Labour - with conflicting programmes or "God forbid" a coalition of the left of Labour/SF.

Sure, the only safe bet is FF - they have "experience"!!

Actually, this whole thing that has taken over the media as to whay exactly a new coalition will bring is contrary to the party system and actually unfair to the electorate.

FG and Labour are not presenting a pre-defined partnership arrangement and as such, must put forward their own manifestoes - that which receives the greater acceptance at election time should form the basis of any agreed compromise programme for government.

In the meantime, though, the Sindo will smear all and sundry - except FF.

bprob

the electoral horse is bolting, (partly because the Independent gave it a big smack with the whip by criticising FG so much), and they are only starting to bolt the stable door now that they have realised they over-egged the pudding, to mix a few metaphors

punchdrunk

More likely, it is the Sindo starting another Eoghan Harris-like smear campaign against ALL parties other than FF.

Worked in 2007

Present the appalling vistas of FG/Labour - with conflicting programmes or "God forbid" a coalition of the left of Labour/SF.

Actually, this whole thing that has taken over the media as to whay exactly a new coalition will bring is contrary to the party system and actually unfair to the electorate.

FG and Labour are not presenting a pre-defined partnership arrangement and as such, must put forward their own manifestoes - that which receives the greater acceptance at election time should form the basis of any agreed compromise programme for government.

You hit the nail on the head. The Independent group is preparing the ground to urge support for FF on the basis that there is no alternative. The Irish Independent is at it already trying to magnify differences between FG and Labour and spouting rubbish about the parties being at war. To argue with a political opponenent about differences in policy is in the Independent's eyes war. What utter nonsense. Now of course there is an alternative but the Independent group wishes to convey the impression that there is not. Remember Tony O'Relly is a strong FF supporter. They want permanent FF government. Now of course they wont admit that.

anfieldabff

Worked in 2007

I agree wholeheartidly, a leopard does not change its spots. The Sindo and Independent Newspapers generaly are FF rags. Tony O Reilly made an absolute fortune out of the property boom and from Eircom.
Watch Harris, O'Connor, Corcoran and Co start to do some tugging at the heartstrings pieces about how the poor FF politicians are going to get it so tough on the doorsteps when in reality none of it is their faults.
Was listening to Tony Killeen on with Richard Crowley today and honestly commical ali would not be a patch on him. Now has a diatribe about how it is all international and how FF were not in power in Greece or Portugal.
It would make you sick!!!!

liamfoley

The scary thing is that the paper does have influence, because of historical circumstances. However, why anyone would take a lead from a national paper who entertains that great big ignorant moron Brendan O'Connor on the front page beats me entirely.

The Sunday Independent was/is a great barometer of the celtic tiger. Barring possibly Gene Kerrigan and their sports department, it's populated by ill educated, and I don't mean that, of necessity, in the academic sense, lightweight commentators biased in favor of simple thinking and even more simple solutions, where no problem exists that can't be fixed with bungs of cash, where no decision should be difficult, and where social commentary is provided by old retired newsreaders and the ex lovers of discredited politicians. It has moved entirely from it's former space where it believed and advocated that people should not buy what they cannot afford and was supportive of national business, like Agri-food. They bought wholesale into the nuvo-riche lifestyle, paid for on credit, of our petty bourgeois z-list celebrities.

Simply put, there are a lot of morons in this country and they buy and take their views from the Sunday Independent, which is owned and ran and written in by morons.
While this tread is dedicated to the "Sindo" the same could be said for all of Ireland's print and broadcast media. These were the people who fueled the boom and now the country is bust they are reinventing themselves as "our" voice. When I really really want to pick up a print edition I go somewhere public where I can get it without paying for it. They simply are not worth it.

flavirostris

You must be very young. It's only recently that the Sindo/Indo leopard changed its spots. It used to purr for FG.
The Indo hasn't been FG for years. They backed FF and the PDs in 1997 and the Sindo has been like the party newsletter for the duration of the Bertie era

dalywise

O'Connor does Fanning's bidding. His column should be followed by a disclaimer every week saying that he's not responsible for the rubbish written in it. Fanning (like those fools Harris and Waters) fancies himself as a great manipulator of public opinion in the mould of Kelvin McKenzie or the other taboid editors, past and present in the UK. It worked back in the 1990s when for some reason the Indo group wanted payback for something so they ensured that Ahern was elected. So we have the Indo among others to thank for the destruction of the economy and untold misery for millions of people.

Nowadays, people have a bit more savvy so they'd gleefully kick Fanning in the same place that they'd like to kick the FF gombeenarchy that got us to where we are.

Last edited:

bmw1

i wouldn wipe yours never mind my own with that rag with wee willie winkle harris and bbbberties bike mz larkon with their self praising sh*ite

dalywise

I agree wholeheartidly, a leopard does not change its spots. The Sindo and Independent Newspapers generaly are FF rags. Tony O Reilly made an absolute fortune out of the property boom and from Eircom.
Watch Harris, O'Connor, Corcoran and Co start to do some tugging at the heartstrings pieces about how the poor FF politicians are going to get it so tough on the doorsteps when in reality none of it is their faults.
Was listening to Tony Killeen on with Richard Crowley today and honestly commical ali would not be a patch on him. Now has a diatribe about how it is all international and how FF were not in power in Greece or Portugal.
It would make you sick!!!!
At least he's comparing Ireland with two countreis with the same tradition for corruption and fraud that Fianna Fail has. Somebody should tell Tony that it's no coincidence that we're in the same boat as Greece and Portugal. All were mis-managed by their respective governments; all three have notoriosly corrupt political systems; and all three have notoriously inefficent and useless public services. (Greece and Portugal may have some excuses though as it was only in the 1970s that they shook of dictatorship and it takes at least 2 generations to root out that kind of culture). It is proof that when the going gets tough, the weak and corrupt are first to fall. So in reality, Killeen is spinning against himself if he's putting Ireland in the same bracket as two of the most politically corrupt countries in Europe (two that are in the top 4 of Ireland, Italy, Greece and Portugal).

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies