• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Sunday Times reports allegation that Lenihan "feared for his job" due to PWC report

bokonon

The Sunday Times doesn't get much exposure online due to its paywall. But yesterday it ran with this fascinating story on the front page:
Files leaked to the Sunday Times, which are also in the possession of the gardai, also allege that Brian Lenihan, the finance minister, feared for his job after admitting in the Dail in February 2009 that it took him three months before he read a report that was written in October 2008 about the transaction between IL&P and Anglo.
Lenihan allegedly told Gillian Bowler, the IL&P chairman, that she should not resign following the disclosure of the arrangement between the two banks because he wanted her to stay around to help politically.
A statement from Denis Casey, the former chief executive of IL&P, claims that Bowler told him this on February 12, 2009 - after he was asked to leave a meeting while Lenihan held a "one to one" meeting with his chairwoman.
Casey claims Bowler told him after the meeting that Lenihan had said he might need both Ray McSharry, another member of the IL&P board, and her to "put in a good word" for him with Brian Cowen, the taoiseach.
Casey has given the gardai a note of the conversation that he claims to have had with Bowler immediately after the meeting.
A spokesman for Lenihan described the allegation as "utter rubbish" but admitted the meeting took place. A spokesman for Bowler told the Sunday Times it would be inappropriate to comment.
The allegations are contained in a new statement which was provided by Casey to the gardai.
High politics indeed.

ellie08

The Sunday Times doesn't get much exposure online due to its paywall. But yesterday it ran with this fascinating story on the front page:

High politics indeed.
sounds interesting.

Goldencircle

Seen this alright, but I find it very hard to believe an Irish politician ever feared for their job.
Especially for being useless at it

Tomas Mor

Lenihan can get away with anything. He has been conferred with sainthood already.

Goldencircle

No, I think alot of people have seen through that nonsense by now.
Not near as popular now as some people liked to think he was a few months back.
The mask is slipping and people are seeing him for the slime he is

Dreaded_Estate

I find it totaly unbelievable that Lenihan did not question the source of a €7bn deposit into Anglo at the time of the transaction.

According to the reports at the time the deposit funding situation at Anglo was critical during the week before the guarantee and €7bn would have been a massive deposit (%15 of all Anglo funding). Why did the minister question this at the time.

In the same reports it states that the DoF was updated daily on the funding position of all banks and more regularly for Anglo.

During the same week the DoF were trying to get AIB and BOI to provide €5bn in emergency funding to Anglo.

I find it very strange that BL didn't know about these transactions the minute they happened let alone 3 months later.

Yosser

I find it totaly unbelievable that Lenihan did not question the source of a €7bn deposit into Anglo at the time of the transaction.

I find it very strange that BL didn't know about these transactions the minute they happened let alone 3 months later.
Same here.It is hardly credible but the truth of the matter is not being faced up to in this country and the cover up is holding so far.
Incompotence is only one part of the quagmire this country finds itself in.Our media know it as well but they are as much a part of the problem so will not upset the status quo too much.
This country is still in denial.
edit: In fact our only hope is that a UK publication may eventually expose the real truth because the Irish media don't want to know.

Aindriu

I am still waiting for someone to confirm his cancer diagnosis.

My brother battled cancer not once but twice - he lost second time around after a bloody hard fight. At no time would he have been well enough to do the job and hours that Lenihan is. A friend of his - a fellow school principle - died from cancer a couple of years before. He stood down from his job as soon as he started his treatment.

Chemotherapy is a b1tch! it leaves you totally drained, extremely weak and completely open to every infection going. There is no way Lenihan is receiving chemo in my view.

FreshStart

My brother battled cancer not once but twice - he lost second time around after a bloody hard fight. At no time would he have been well enough to do the job and hours that Lenihan is. A friend of his - a fellow school principle - died from cancer a couple of years before. He stood down from his job as soon as he started his treatment.

Chemotherapy is a b1tch! it leaves you totally drained, extremely weak and completely open to every infection going. There is no way Lenihan is receiving chemo in my view.
I would never tell anyone what to do when faced with such a diagnosis. However, I can't understand why someone like Brian Lenihan would want to continue doing such a stressful job while undergoing such invasive treatment. I don't know, he has a good pension etc. and I personally would have focused on family and recovery. Finally, I don't think he's going to get any thanks for carrying on throughout the treatment. Maybe I'm just selfish but I would understand if he told us all (including FF) to go and shove it, he's looking after himself now.

invpat

High politics indeed.
Can we leave his illness out of this and concentrate on the kernel of the Sunday Times article, which basically quotes Casey saying that all the people involved including sunglasses herself knew about this transaction, now if Casey has given this evidence to the Gardai then why havent PC Plod done anything about it.Whether Lenihan is ill or not is irrelevent, the fact that Casey is calling both him Bowler the DOF and the regulator liars is more damning.

stanley

Have to agree with you, had a mate who died from cancer and in 3 years he had 3 spells of chemo + stem cells, he could hardly speak after the chemo sessions for days not to mind think or concentrate on anything.

I find it very hard to believe Lenny is having chemo, cannot see any outward signs except the dyed hair, would have thought he would lose about one third of his body weight.

blacbloc

This is definitely off topic but just to say it might simply be that the cancer has gone beyond chemotherapy and that he is indeed being selfless in a certain way - i.e. about hanging on to the bitter end in order to help protect the NAMA beneficiaries - his legacy to Fianna Fail and their backers. Remember those cheering, singing and dancing developers in that Malaga restaurant - toasting him when he got that disgraceful legislation through the Dáil?

realistic1

Have to agree with you, had a mate who died from cancer and in 3 years he had 3 spells of chemo + stem cells, he could hardly speak after the chemo sessions for days not to mind think or concentrate on anything.

I find it very hard to believe Lenny is having chemo, cannot see any outward signs except the dyed hair, would have thought he would lose about one third of his body weight.
The Minister has got something your mate did not have and that is plenty of cash and the best of healthcare that money can buy.

adrem

I have to say Aindriu I find that post extraordinarily distasteful - I have had a number of friends who were diagnosed with cancer, some unfortunately died but others, thankfully, survived. Looking at Lenihan back when he was undergoing therapy it was quite clear that he was extremely ill - he had lost a huge amount of weight, looked gaunt and tired - exactly like my friends did. You may have no time for Lenihan, his party or his policy but if you truly are related to a cancer battler (who tragically you say lost the battle eventually) then you should have more cop on than your post indicates.

grafter1

I recommend that anyone with an interest in Anglo should read the farce that is that PWC Report. It was the greatest piece of garbage ever produced.

The politicians dodged every question "waiting for the PWC Report"

People should read it