Sunday Tribune - cutting salaries at the top

Website
www.politics.ie
Twitter
davidcochrane
It's a week-old article though. The Sunday Tribune doesn't go online until late this evening. Also - could you not have started this discussion somewhere other than Current Affairs?

ellie08

It's a week-old article though. The Sunday Tribune doesn't go online until late this evening. Also - could you not have started this discussion somewhere other than Current Affairs?
Week old or not, I did not see it discussed on any thread. Thought it might be of interest.

Website
www.politics.ie
Twitter
davidcochrane
Well it might be helpful to discuss it yourself, give your thoughts/opinions rather than posting a single link with a single sentence remark posted in the wrong forum.

I don't understand why established users dumb threads in Current Affairs in this way.

ellie08

Well it might be helpful to discuss it yourself, give your thoughts/opinions rather than posting a single link with a single sentence remark posted in the wrong forum.

I don't understand why established users dumb threads in Current Affairs in this way.
I would consider it current affairs, I don't think much needs to be said apart from the article outlines some salary cuts on some people in this country who can well afford to take a reduction in salary. People who were over paid in the first place by the look of some of the salaries. This govt is too quick to take it off the least well off and the middle income earners, and it's about time those that profited most, took a hit, which would be small in relation to those in lesser paid jobs.

bazlad

Somebody got out the grumpy side of bed! :)

eoghanacht

The proposals listed in the article have been mentioned here many times.

The turkeys won't vote for x-mas and i distinctly remember the PS pay reforms from the last budget being repealed for those civil service mandarins at the very top. They are the boys and girls that dotted the I's and crossed the T's for FF corruption.

Black Cat

Excellent article on this subject by Eoghan Harris in todays independent -
'Out of every 100 cents it spends, the State spends 30 cents on public-service pay and pensions. Out of every 100 cents it takes in tax, it spends 60 on public-sector pay and pensions. The forthcoming Budget is fundamentally about wiping up whatever is little is left after the public-sector fat cats have finished their big bowl of cream.

The Budget will ask the poor, the sick and the old to pay for the paid, pensioned and the permanently employed. This is a scandal. The Government could find the €6bn it needs by simply cutting back public pay and pensions to 2003 levels. No tax hikes, no tormenting of old-age pensioners, no picking the pockets of the poor.'

Eoghan Harris: Public-sector wealth can only lead to private decay - Eoghan Harris, Columnists - Independent.ie

ellie08

Excellent article on this subject by Eoghan Harris in todays independent -
'Out of every 100 cents it spends, the State spends 30 cents on public-service pay and pensions. Out of every 100 cents it takes in tax, it spends 60 on public-sector pay and pensions. The forthcoming Budget is fundamentally about wiping up whatever is little is left after the public-sector fat cats have finished their big bowl of cream.

The Budget will ask the poor, the sick and the old to pay for the paid, pensioned and the permanently employed. This is a scandal. The Government could find the €6bn it needs by simply cutting back public pay and pensions to 2003 levels. No tax hikes, no tormenting of old-age pensioners, no picking the pockets of the poor.'

Eoghan Harris: Public-sector wealth can only lead to private decay - Eoghan Harris, Columnists - Independent.ie
Don't forget the blind, children with special needs, respite care, these all need to be cut for the greater good (of FF and their cronies).

controller

Don't forget the blind, children with special needs, respite care, these all need to be cut for the greater good (of FF and their cronies).
......And then those CORRUPT **** are going to visit my house, looking for my vote. Michael Kennedy..........I'm waiting....

ellie08

......And then those CORRUPT **** are going to visit my house, looking for my vote. Michael Kennedy..........I'm waiting....
Haven't seen them around for ages. I had planned to frame the photo of biffo with the bogroll in sight on the hall table the last time, but they called before I had a chance. A picture says more than words sometimes :D

Black Cat

Last Thursday: Paul Somerville, a market analyst, told us his colleagues in London were saying the same. "One thing they were absolutely bewildered about is how the Government could sign something like the Croke Park agreement when they knew they were going to have to be bringing in such drastic cuts at the end of the year."

The croak park deal is being cited as the reason for the jump in our interest rates. Surely this should be the priority of our government -
Which of the govt parties is likely to tackle this issue - ff aren't willing - Labour will be possibly worse - what is FG's stance on Croke parke? It seems we are doomed with ff and just as doomed if labour end up in coalition - maybe the imf is the harsh medicine we need.

renewal

Hi,

I was going to put this as a new thread but then say this one so thought what the heck and pasted the following in as a quick reply.

If the IMF did come in will the IMF leave Brian Cowan and senior civil servants on their salaries or maybe impose 10% cut while those down the line are either got rid of or also get a similar 10% pay cut. Maybe medical consultants and ESB workers and others may or may not hang in there. I see no reason to believe the IMF will be the answer to reduce our public pay bill. We might like to believe otherwise but many people wanted to believe the boom would continue.

We'd like them to reduce their salaries but the IMF may be asking our government for the figures. Looking at the evidence before my eyes where senior civil servants last time around took at 3% paycut because they got an annual bonus popped onto to the salary while those on 30K who cleaned the floors took a 5% paycut. So our government and those supplying the figures to the IMF will be saying how important they are with plenty of emotional blackmail and end up keeping the salaries. Currently I understand we have to take a loan of around 90K every year to make up Brian Cowan's 220K salary.

From what I understand public pay stood at 8 billion Euros in 2001 and 24 billion Euros in 2009. Admittedly extra people were employed but in most cases many, many people got new titles which meant pay rise. Pat Kenny's (OK he is paid via RTE) pay was around 300K in 2001, last year it was in the region of 800K. What's a 10% pay cut there? We'd all accept a 10% pay cut while pretending to kick and scream if we got 200% pay rise first in the intervening 8 years!

Anyhow as it stands we're taking out annual loans to make up 40% of the salaries of all public official while those near the top have seen massive payrises until quite recently.

Who's to say that the IMF will not in fact protect the fat salaries of those at the top again?

-M

Black Cat

I don't know but someone on newstalk last week was describing an example of the IMF coming into another country and they cut the public sector salaries by 30%

ulsterscotnua

The simple solution is to charge 90% income tax on all earnings over £150,000.
Chase after the self employed the Barristers, Doctors, Dentists Accountants etc. and charge them 90% income tax on earnings over the same amount.
Go to the builders and developers wives and families find out exactly what they own and unless they can prove they paid for their property out of their own money, sieze it.
Nama was set up in such a slow drawn out way that the people who were having property going into it were able to transfer to wife, girl friend and family. FF won't take it back hopefully some other party will.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies