Super Volcano

BBoru

Did anyone see Super volcano last night ? The second episode is on tonight at 9pm. It was about the Volcano in Yellowstone National Park in Wyoming.

The Volcano hasn't erupted in 640,000 years. On average it erupts every 600,000 years. The effects of a super eruption would be cataclysmic. The stock market would crash, the economy would be in ruins and millions of American's would loose their lives.

As far as I can see the American's don't really have a game plan for such an event and don't really understand how the volcano works.

There is 125 cubic kilometers of molten lava under Yellowstone National park. It's 8 kilometers deep and 40 kilometers wide. In other words, it's a world of pain!!

Tiogar

BBoru said:
Did anyone see Super volcano last night ? The second episode is on tonight at 9pm. It was about the Volcano in Yellowstone National Park in Wyoming.

The Volcano hasn't erupted in 640,000 years. On average it erupts every 600,000 years. The effects of a super eruption would be cataclysmic. The stock market would crash, the economy would be in ruins and millions of American's would loose their lives.

As far as I can see the American's don't really have a game plan for such an event and don't really understand how the volcano works.

There is 125 cubic kilometers of molten lava under Yellowstone National park. It's 8 kilometers deep and 40 kilometers wide. In other words, it's a world of pain!!
What channel?

CJH

"As far as I can see the American's don't really have a game plan for such an event and don't really understand how the volcano works"

There's not much point having a 'game plan' for Yellowstone blowing up. Firstly, when it does happen it's going to be so cataclysmic that everything is going to be destryoed anyway. Secondly, how do you have a contingency plan for something that could happen in 100,000 years? We might as well have a plan for dealing with a massive meteor strike. There's nothing we can do about these major natural disasters, apart from hope they don't occur within our lifetime

smiffy

Website
cedarlounge.wordpress.com
CJH said:
We might as well have a plan for dealing with a massive meteor strike. There's nothing we can do about these major natural disasters, apart from hope they don't occur within our lifetime
:shock:

That's just made me remember that I had a dream last night in which some girl told me that she really liked the film Deep Impact.

How very odd. :|

BBoru

The only thing they can do is plough money into scientific research on the site, so that they know more about what could happen and when.

Instead the money goes on the military fighting in places like Iraq etc.

Bogwarrior

Americans could always do what they always do when faced with a major crisis...Go and buy some duct tape. Since WW2, Americans have used it to combat a Nuclear explosion, Chemical warfare, terrorist attacks and Anthrax spores. I'm actually quite concerned for Yogi Bear and Booboo.

KingKane

Website
www.danielsullivan.ie
Twitter
kingkane
CJH said:
Secondly, how do you have a contingency plan for something that could happen in 100,000 years? We might as well have a plan for dealing with a massive meteor strike. There's nothing we can do about these major natural disasters, apart from hope they don't occur within our lifetime
Actually, there is a lot we can do about dealing with a meteor strike. But would cost some money ( not a lot ) but we'd rather spend it on things like paying farmers subsides to ensure higher prices and then giving people money so they can afford farm produce.
And as for what we can do about something that would wipe out all life on earth. Simple, get off the planet!

As for you nay sayers, you're just holding us back from a our natural imperative to ensure the survival and propagation of the human race!

BBoru

Just watched the second episode....Seriously considering buying a gas mask!!

I like the masking tape bit, what about boarding up the windows with planks of wood, that helps too !!

LordJagged

Scientific research is wedded to funding generation, and unfortunately most researchers spent way to much time prostituting themselves for said funding.
A handy volcano threat [or tsunami/fault zone/melting glacier etc] can pay for quite a few salaries and summer field work, doing the research that might not be as sexy, but is actually the majority of the real science being done.
However Yellowstone is an interesting one. If it does decide to erupt within the lifespan of Homo sapiens sapiens, there is very little we can do about it, so I'd suggest you'd send someone for the steaks and beer :) and watch the show, from as far away as possible!

Anyway:

http://vulcan.wr.usgs.gov/Volcanoes/Yellowstone/framework.html

Run_to_da_hills

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies