• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Supreme Court finds Government Booklet on Referendum Biased

Should the Children's Rights Referendum be postponed in light of today's Supreme Court ruling?

• Yes

Votes: 162 65.6%
  • No

Votes: 85 34.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

sic transit

So?

Bren Boru

Is it a technicality? I assume we're still voting on Saturday?

Ryan Tubbs

No consequences can flow from it at this late stage, other than massive embarrassment for the Attorney General who (one presumes) had given the green light to the booklet and website.

sic transit

So...

now we wait for the inevitable accountability.
The resignations, the indictments, the lost pensions.

The mechanics of a just and fair society.
Ah wasn't aware of the horrific ramifications. Will throw mine out without reading it so. TBH this is an odd one with so few arguments against that I am not surprised that someone has been deemed to have "slipped up". It's still a nuisance suit.

goosebump

I wonder what those kids who were buggered by the parents in Kilkenny think of all this intellectual tomfoolery?

emulator

The one for the "Stability" treaty was as well. Didn't see too many people bringing that to the High Court. At least we got the jobs though....

Keith-M

Website
www.allkindsofeverything.ie
The referendum must now be cancelled and Frances Fitzgerald and the head of the Referendum Commission must resign.

Asparagus

I wonder what those kids who were buggered by the parents in Kilkenny think of all this intellectual tomfoolery?
Maybe - "I wish the law as it stands was being applied"

Eoin Coir

As Haughey once said you never know what comes out of there (SC) I bet Hardiman was one of those who found it was wrong !

borntorum

Having read the booklet, Im not shocked by this decision. It looks quite patently biased in favour of the Yes side.

Ryan Tubbs

The referendum must now be cancelled and Frances Fitzgerald and the head of the Referendum Commission must resign.
Oh would you get a grip. Are you even remotely capable of making rational contributions to any threads?

Why is the head of the Referendum Commission in any way responsible for this?

sic transit

Good man. Nice try to give a pretty nondescript thread a bit of life.

borntorum

What idiot in government authorised this booklet? The Pro side was always going to win this easily, there was no need to try and game the field in this way

sic transit

Having read the booklet, Im not shocked by this decision. It looks quite patently biased in favour of the Yes side.
I've read the amendment and can see nothing much wrong with it. Pretty sure that's what we're voting on and not an unread booklet.

ger12

So was the Oireachtas inquiry referendum government booklet.

Speaks volumes really, the behavior of the government over 18 months has been shameful by times.

borntorum

I've read the amendment and can see nothing much wrong with it. Pretty sure that's what we're voting on and not an unread booklet.
Congratulations on missing the point, or choosing to miss it

sic transit

What idiot in government authorised this booklet? The Pro side was always going to win this easily, there was no need to try and game the field in this way
The Referendum Commission.

Ryan Tubbs

So was the Oireachtas inquiry referendum government booklet
The Government didn't issue a booklet on that referendum. The Referendum Commission did. Big difference, and yet people seem to conflate the two.