• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Surely Something Is Seriously Wrong Somewhere!

General Urko

I haven't seen any thread on this and it deserves one. It was reported in the Sindo that TDs are exempt from paying rates on their constituency offices whereas registered charities are not (well certainly not on their shops).
Relevant link Charity forced to pay rates but Enda escapes scot-free - National News - Independent.ie
It's actually crucifying some charities! Surely we have this the wrong way around and the TDs should do the decent thing and draft laws making themselves pay up without any additional expenses to cover it and registered charities should be exempt (provided they're not paying absurd salaries and expenses to CEOs, which would make even a TD blush!:mad:)
In the meantime, all TDs should be made adopt a registered charity in their constituency and pay its rates!

storybud1

Just remember when the general election results are announced in the count centre the TD's supporter hoist him/her in the air ! FREE MONEY FOR YEARS FOR DOING NOTHING.

ManOfReason

Every business/charity/community centre/TD's Clinc etc should pay rates. The more broadbased the tax the less lightly the local councils would be to keep increaing the rates to make up for ineffiencies in how they run the councils.

elliebee

Every right minded person in the country would agree with you. There's just no end to it is there? As my late Dad would have said "It's a thundering disgrace" no doubt about it. They are living off our backs and that simply isn't right.

I wonder if they'll be looking for rates from the Twist Soup Kitchens as well? No doubt they will.

The whole damned lot of them should be hanging their heads in shame.

elliebee

Every business/charity/community centre/TD's Clinc etc should pay rates. The more broadbased the tax the less lightly the local councils would be to keep increaing the rates to make up for ineffiencies in how they run the councils.
No, I don't think so. The more broadbased the tax the more money in the pot for them. That's how it's been for years now.

General Urko

Every right minded person in the country would agree with you. There's just no end to it is there? As my late Dad would have said "It's a thundering disgrace" no doubt about it. They are living off our backs and that simply isn't right.

I wonder if they'll be looking for rates from the Twist Soup Kitchens as well? No doubt they will.

The whole damned lot of them should be hanging their heads in shame.
My local council is doing its damndist to have the local Twist soup kitchen actually closed, probably under instructions from a few stomach churning public representatives who are embarrassed that it has come to this, thanks largely through their criminal mismanagement of the economy!:mad:

elliebee

No, I don't think so. The more broadbased the tax the more money in the pot for them. That's how it's been for years now.

General Urko

Of course there are also a few national charities out there extracting the urine big time as evidenced by the money that their boards pay their CEOs who actually appointed them in the first place!:mad:
Or founding CEOs placing their adult children in 100K per year admin jobs in the office next door!
And some CEOs with political connections on tons of quangoes and overpaid beyond belief at their main charity job! There has been one very well reported on instance of this abuse!:mad:

ManOfReason

So the few remaing small shops in rural towns should carry the burnden of funding the council, with rates being increased every year to make up for the ever decreasing number of shops? Good luck with that.

elliebee

My local council is doing its damndist to have the local Twist soup kitchen actually closed, probably under instructions from a few stomach churning public representatives who are embarrassed that it has come to this, thanks largely through their criminal mismanagement of the economy!:mad:
That is just so so wrong. I hope the locals don't allow them to get away with that. That is surely serious street protest stuff. They have so much squeezed out of people they cannot afford to eat and now the Councillors don't WANT them to eat. This just goes from bad to worse.

Trevelyan wouldn't have a look in with this lot!

elliebee

So the few remaing small shops in rural towns should carry the burnden of funding the council, with rates being increased every year to make up for the ever decreasing number of shops? Good luck with that.
No, no that wasn't what I meant at all. My point was that no matter how much they get they'll still want more and no matter how much they get it still won't be enough to fund their lifestyles and perks.

Roisin3

What's the problem? They, theoretically, provide a service to the electorate. If they have to pay rates then it will simply be added to their expenses and there'll be an expense increase approved to cover it. There's no point in robbing Peter to pay Paul.

pippakin

What's the problem? They, theoretically, provide a service to the electorate. If they have to pay rates then it will simply be added to their expenses and there'll be an expense increase approved to cover it. There's no point in robbing Peter to pay Paul.
I don't see why they should get increased expenses to cover it, most small businesses won't be getting any help.

Grey Area

If you remove the exemption the TD's will just claim the rates amount in expenses so no gain for the public in changing this. It's a non-issue.

ManOfReason

No, no that wasn't what I meant at all. My point was that no matter how much they get they'll still want more and no matter how much they get it still won't be enough to fund their lifestyles and perks.
Too true.

Sync

I don't see why they should get increased expenses to cover it, most small businesses won't be getting any help.
Jesus, because they're not small businesses. Their offices are set up so they can do their job as elected representatives of the state by holding clinics. It's not a voluntary optional decision, they need somewhere they can hold clinics for their constituents. The voters of the country.

If the argument is that registered charities shouldn't pay rates then fine. But the idea that TDs should pay for their offices is too stupid to be considered.

turdsl

Certain people are not happy to hear that Athlone required a soup kitchen.

Bad for the image they say,

neiphin

Jesus, because they're not small businesses. Their offices are set up so they can do their job as elected representatives of the state by holding clinics. It's not a voluntary optional decision, they need somewhere they can hold clinics for their constituents. The voters of the country.

If the argument is that registered charities shouldn't pay rates then fine. But the idea that TDs should pay for their offices is too stupid to be considered.
politics is very much a family business in this small country
but trust sync the troll/mod to defend the coroupt system

NewGoldDream

Website
-

Maybe I'm a cynic, but I suspect many of them are in the small business of getting themselves re-elected.

Is there any reason some place like a parish hall wouldn't do if they can't pay the rates? I don't think it is that unusual or "stupid" a proposition that they should do so.

Sync

Maybe I'm a cynic, but I suspect many of them are in the small business of getting themselves re-elected.

Is there any reason some place like a parish hall wouldn't do if they can't pay the rates? I don't think it is that unusual or "stupid" a proposition that they should do so.
1. Why should the Parish Hall do it for free?
2. Do the parish hall have space and resources for A: the TD's administrator B: a confidential, private, heated area with internet connectivity for the TD to work whatever hours the TD chooses and meet constituents C: space for constituents to wait for appointments

Guys, TDs need to have constituency offices. They can't do their job of representing the public without them. It's not an optional thing, no more than having a mobile phone is. It's an expense of them doing the job we've employed them to do. They're not going to pay for it themselves.