Surrendering to a Siege of Beer

between the bridges

A potent new beer brewed with an archaic recipe dating back to the Great Siege of Derry goes on sale for the first time today at a food festival in the city.

The 300-year-old concoction was uncovered by James Huey, head brewer at the Walled City Brewery in Londonderry, in a set of historical diaries dating from the Great Siege that are now housed in the city’s archives.

Read more at: Archaic brew from the Siege of Derry goes on sale today - Belfast Newsletter

At the time it was considered an elixir, a miracle beer, and used to treat all manner of ailments.

The ale is being resurrected by the Walled City Brewery.

Head brewer James Huey says he is excited about how it will go down among drinkers in the 21st century.

"We really wanted to make a connection between the city and the brewery," he said.

"I spent a lot of time in the library looking up archives to see if there was a brewing or distilling heritage. But I landed on, just by pure chance, an account of the Siege of Derry in July 1689.

all the historical accounts say that it was used to treat ailments such as lingering distemper and toothache. It was like a miracle beer.

"It is a very unusual beer, which is why it has taken me three or four years to develop."

Mr Huey said it is very strong - 11%, whereas most beers are 4-6% - and infused with herbs and spices.

Walled City Brewery resurrects beer from Siege of Derry - BelfastTelegraph.co.uk

Home -

11%? enough said...

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
A potent new beer brewed with an archaic recipe dating back to the Great Siege of Derry goes on sale for the first time today at a food festival in the city.

The 300-year-old concoction was uncovered by James Huey, head brewer at the Walled City Brewery in Londonderry, in a set of historical diaries dating from the Great Siege that are now housed in the city’s archives.

Read more at: Archaic brew from the Siege of Derry goes on sale today - Belfast Newsletter

At the time it was considered an elixir, a miracle beer, and used to treat all manner of ailments.

The ale is being resurrected by the Walled City Brewery.

Head brewer James Huey says he is excited about how it will go down among drinkers in the 21st century.

"We really wanted to make a connection between the city and the brewery," he said.

"I spent a lot of time in the library looking up archives to see if there was a brewing or distilling heritage. But I landed on, just by pure chance, an account of the Siege of Derry in July 1689.

all the historical accounts say that it was used to treat ailments such as lingering distemper and toothache. It was like a miracle beer.

"It is a very unusual beer, which is why it has taken me three or four years to develop."

Mr Huey said it is very strong - 11%, whereas most beers are 4-6% - and infused with herbs and spices.

Walled City Brewery resurrects beer from Siege of Derry - BelfastTelegraph.co.uk

Home -

11%? enough said...
They have to employ an assistant for that James Huey. A fellow called Lewis would be excellent. 'Have you seen the news about Huey and Lewis'....

between the bridges

They have to employ an assistant for that James Huey. A fellow called Lewis would be excellent. 'Have you seen the news about Huey and Lewis'....
'Huey' is what ye shout down the big white telephone after a a Siege of Beer...

The big white telephone...

New Threads

Most Replies