Surrey County Council plans tax referendum - would any Irish party follow suit?

Breanainn

Interesting developments across the water, where Surrey County Council plan a plebiscite to determine whether to raise council tax rates by 15% in return for a clear set of targeted investments in public services. Given the Irish left's point-black opposition to property and water charges, would any party be mature enough to emulate the Surrey model?

Skinthegoat

It is not a bad idea but I fear we would waste the extra cash.

My local authority Limerick City and County Council increased the property tax by 10% for this year and then a month later they decided to triple the amount of money spent on foreign trips :mad:. Maybe it will be money well spent but I doubt it.

Notachipanoaktree

Interesting that you call another Neoliberal scam 'Mature'. Not.

Par for the course.

Last edited:

Notachipanoaktree

Interesting developments across the water, where Surrey County Council plan a plebiscite to determine whether to raise council tax rates by 15% in return for a clear set of targeted investments in public services. Given the Irish left's point-black opposition to property and water charges, would any party be mature enough to emulate the Surrey model?
Just more money for the sons and daughters to pilfer and burn.

Jail, the only solution.

cricket

What are you on ? The "left" in Ireland are really just an amalgam of protesters, nothing more.

New Threads

Most Replies