Survival strategy after Christmas

Paddythai

The social and economic situation is getting worse by the day as can be seen by numerous threads on this and other web sites.

I have been trying to find out how best to survive as a parent with two kids.

We all are in different situations and one solution will not fit all. Some, on here, will be retired and comfortable, others young and unemployed, with a range of people in betwenn.

My own thinking is that rich and poor will suffer together. I cannot see middle class young families made homeless and hungry while others relax in their heated large houses. Having loads of money may not ensure security.

The increase in the number of people growing their own food suggests some are preparing to ensure food supply. Others have installed solar panels, wood burning stoves etc. for fear of not being able to heat houses in future.

I see communities getting together to help each other at a local level as being a good strategy for surviving.

The National Government, Banks, Clergy are less relevant everyday. I don't see the Political system offering a solution.

HarshBuzz

like you say, 'it depends' on your personal situation

I would forget about any notions of social solidarity or the laughable idea of 'patriotism'. Irish people have proved often enough over the last decade that you should only be looking out for No. 1.

Make your own plans and be prepared for the worst.

GreenIsGood

The increase in the number of people growing their own food suggests some are preparing to ensure food supply. Others have installed solar panels, wood burning stoves etc. for fear of not being able to heat houses in future.

I see communities getting together to help each other at a local level as being a good strategy for surviving.
Grow you own food and huddle together for warmth? The Greens will like the sound of this. Think of the CO2 savings!

Come the think of it, the Greens must be thrilled by recent developments. Their fantasy is seeing their German friends in charge.

Cato

slumdog1971

Mother of God.

Lads, cool the jets. There is no need to start thinking about defending your water supply or your cans of peaches and beans just yet.

There are plenty of chapters left in this book yet.

Relax and hide the debt forgiveness horse in to the next decade !

Paddythai

Thanks for that Cato.
Economical with words I see.

Hope this thread won't go the way of many others on topics of our political parties or/and Public service.

Many posters are very concerned about the future and would appreciate advice on how to survive.

HarshBuzz

Thanks for that Cato.

Hope this thread won't go the way of many others on topics of our political parties or/and Public service.

Many posters are very concerned about the future and would appreciate advice on how to survive.
if you post more details about your particular situation, you might get some useful tips amongst the dross

i.e. have you\your partner a job(s)? have you a large mortgage? savings? what age are your kids? what age are you? etc

thegreyfox

I sympathise with all and especially for kids.I think the smartest psychological strategy to survive is to take each day as it comes.Being aware is good but in my experience I have never heard anyone give a rosy view of the future.Bes t of luck and dont let the B!!!!!!! get you down.

Cato

Thanks for that Cato.

Apologies, I was trying to be humorous in these troublesome times.

I have noticed an increase in solidarity with our neighbours. We clubbed together and negotiated a rate for the six houses in our townland to get insulation for all the houses, we are looking after each others kids to save on childcare, and are generally supporting each other. That kind of thing will be important for the future.

However, there is also a strong strand of every man/family for themselves and I think that people are starting to do what's necessary to survive and/or keep there homes, even if that means black economy work or purchases.

We, my family, slammed on the brakes on spending back when I became unemployed and even after i got a job we have kept the foot firmly on the brake. We are working hard to clear the last of our short-term debt and are saving and hoarding money as much as possible. The virtues of budgeting, discipline and prudence have to be found again by everyone. We negotiate the cheapest prices for everything we can and most of our clothes now come from the charity shops I manage. No new books (only second hand from the shop), no newspapers (online only), little drink, eating out is very rare, packed lunches, and no holidays apart from where we can get the accommodation for free (I am fortunate in having several different options around the country in that regard).

Finally there is the frame of mind. You must find a way to be happy that is no dependent or contingent in any way on external factors. Secure your peace of mind.

Legacy

I lived through the recession of the eighties as a young mother. There were a number of enterprising ideas around at the time which I think are worth considering.

We had a local 'food co-op' in which a group of local people came together and formed themselves into a small co-op. This could be done today on a street basis for example. Each person invested x amount of money to get the kitty started. Orders for meat, fruit and veg were placed on a Monday and those co-op members who had transport then took responsibility for purchasing fresh food directly from the wholesalers or markets. The food would then be delivered or available to collect at a certain time/day. It worked really well - probably cos it involved a relatively small number of people (if memory serves me right there were about 20 of us). We got fresh food at a much reduced price.

Another social enterprise we had going was a second hand clothes depot. There was no charge for the clothes and it was staffed by volunteers who had time on their hands either through unemployment of retirement.

The same group who set up the food co-op developed a few other ideas such as the collective purchase of items that could be shared out amongst its members - say for example a lawn mower, ladder, tools etc. For a small investment one could have the use of a range of items that you might only find yourself needing once in a blue moon or every couple of weeks.

Seems a long time ago now but it was these kind of initiatives which built up the community development sector in many areas...

MauriceColgan

Website
www.irelandtoo.com
I knew a couple of teachers, Oxford scholars, who went for the good life decades ago. Retired early on a basic pension, bought all their furniture at Salvation Army sales, clothes from charity shops, food in bulk. They raised seven children while the husband did part time classes, and wrote poetry. His wife wrote occasional articles for the Guardian.
All the children went to university after VSO in Africa.

The couple travelled the world. See "Who Killed **** Robin" by Norman Iles.
Norman is dead now, he was a very good friend.

hammer

Save what you can.

Stop listening to news & chat shows.

Read.............become a close family. Go to church more often.

The Fianna FAIL f............. cant take everything away from us.

jimwin

jimwin

On a serious note, I would endorse the suggestions by Hammer above.

Perhaps these difficult times will renew a sense of self respect and mutual solidarity amongst people

People will need to readjust their expectations and lifestyles

Oh.........and finally..............be good to people........

Clanrickard

Don't forget to join the library. Grow your own veg and fruit. Even in a small flat you can get some good returns for little investment. Clothing has come right down in price. Dunnes and the like have clothes that very cheap. Make meals that can be frozen. If you make a good stew which can be quite good value it could provide 3 family meals. Other half is Polish and they are masters at it.

MauriceColgan

Website
www.irelandtoo.com
Growing our own food is only sensible if you have acres to spare. Tried it. Vegetables are always far cheaper in Supermarkets.

Grow plants from seeds and cuttings, they are saleable in a very short time. Thousands of plants can be grown in small gardens.

Teach your children manual labour is very cool and healthy. Let them have a little garden of their own to grow flowers for the school. See Count Tolstoy for his toiling with the peasants.

There are some great self sufficiency books available... not all practical.

All this reminds me of the 1960s book "I am Legend" by Matheson? And ALL the post nucleur war movies. We are back to the past!

spidermom

Remember that this too will pass!!.......

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies