Survival strategy after Christmas

Cato

spidermom

I have that inscribed on a ring I wear! "This too shall pass - Ne Quid Nimis".
:)
Sometimes we think it never will pass...but it does...!!

Ah Well

Make your own plans and be prepared for the worst.
Sense ...

If lucky enough to have savings go out of your way to try to protect those for a start. Diversify is prudent. Are you happy keeping them in a toxic Irish Institution subject to the Irish Bank "Guarantee". I wouldn't be anyway ....

Mitsui2

Remember that this too will pass!!.......
Sure, spidermom. But that's what I used to tell myself about Charlie Haughey. And I was right - he left the scene... only to be replaced by Bertie.

Unfortunately the fact that everything passes doesn't logically mean that things improve afterwards!

Cato

Save what you can.

Stop listening to news & chat shows.

Read.............become a close family. Go to church more often.

The Fianna FAIL f............. cant take everything away from us.
Good advice with just one major objection...

Arracht

Go to church more often.

That'll save on the heating while you're out of the house, not sure on the free entertainment value though.
A hour spent in a museum or gallery would be much better. :)

MauriceColgan

Website
www.irelandtoo.com
In my experience our materialistic life has improved decade after decade since the 1940s (Always exceptions)

Children are communicating on Laptops, and music, books and movies are available at will.

We could all live the second-hand lifestyle very happily if only for keeping up with those Joneses!

cozzy121

The social and economic situation is getting worse by the day as can be seen by numerous threads on this and other web sites.

I have been trying to find out how best to survive as a parent with two kids.

We all are in different situations and one solution will not fit all. Some, on here, will be retired and comfortable, others young and unemployed, with a range of people in betwenn.

My own thinking is that rich and poor will suffer together. I cannot see middle class young families made homeless and hungry while others relax in their heated large houses. Having loads of money may not ensure security.

The increase in the number of people growing their own food suggests some are preparing to ensure food supply. Others have installed solar panels, wood burning stoves etc. for fear of not being able to heat houses in future.

I see communities getting together to help each other at a local level as being a good strategy for surviving.

The National Government, Banks, Clergy are less relevant everyday. I don't see the Political system offering a solution.
Get out now while if you still can. If not I'm sorry, all you can do is to, everyday, apologise to your kids for allowing bertie ahern to be leader of this country.
Everybody should apologise to the next generation for this most terrible of errors.

White Rose

I've bankers living either side of me and they have both got their windows replaced and I can't afford it

Keeping up with the Jones is off the menu for now

Mister men

If you are lucky enough to have cash buy gold as your money will be worthless in a years time. Stock up on canned food stuffs and instant soup etc... If you are lucky enough to have a decent sized garden plant and sow some veg. Buy some chicken/hens. Learn how to deal with long term power shortage (stock up on candles etc...) Apply to join a shooting club and get yourself a gun. If you want emigrate it's what i'm doing in January.

Arracht

If you are lucky enough to have cash buy gold as your money will be worthless in a years time. Stock up on canned food stuffs and instant soup etc... If you are lucky enough to have a decent sized garden plant and sow some veg. Buy some chicken/hens. Learn how to deal with long term power shortage (stock up on candles etc...) Apply to join a shooting club and get yourself a gun. If you want emigrate it's what i'm doing in January.
I've all those boxes ticked plus bought the SAS Survival Guide book and the DVD boxset of Bear Grylls series. Not sure where I'll find the elephant dung to squeeze the water from though.

Garza

If I were you guys I would stash up on ciggarettes and vodka. The currency of this items will be valuble :).

atrainacoming

as a newbie on here I can't start a new thread on this idea, so I figured I stick it in here...
I was wondering with all the rumblings of tax increases and cuts, why haven't I heard anyone bring up the idea of raising our low corporate tax rate by 2% for 2 to 4 years in order to raise a good amount of money?
Seriously I'm asking here, educate me if that's a really dumb idea, but from where I am it seems like a no brainer.
I'm aware the dangers are that our 'smart' economy keystones would up stakes and move their highly technical jobs else where, but if we make it clear its a short term measure and that we'd be only to happy to give them a break on perhaps electricity or other services (lowering minimum wage?) I don't think the bottom line would make them move.

Mugabe

Here is a survival strategy

(1) Take up refereeing - you can make up to €200 a weekend on top of social welfare. Revenue will never bother you and never have bothered referees.

(2) Dominos in Castleknock shops is looking for drivers, i noticed this when getting a pizza last week. who doesn't want to make something extra?

point being, with a little imagination, there are some ways to get a few quid in, not just for x-mas, but generally.

What is wrong with people?

Are your prepared to go down without a fight? This nation can be saved, there are other ways but it needs people like YOU to get up and make a stand.

Franzoni

(1) Take up refereeing - you can make up to €200 a weekend on top of social welfare. Revenue will never bother you and never have bothered referees.

(2) Dominos in Castleknock shops is looking for drivers, i noticed this when getting a pizza last week. who doesn't want to make something extra?

point being, with a little imagination, there are some ways to get a few quid in, not just for x-mas, but generally.
Your spot on with the refereeing thing..i know a few lads who make a few extra quid from doing it as well

Just got a flyer in the door from Domino's saying they now deliver until 5am.... not surprised their looking for extra drivers....

Franzoni

Are your prepared to go down without a fight? This nation can be saved, there are other ways but it needs people like YOU to get up and make a stand.
Yep and i'm 100% behind you bro'....but i think this is more about finding other ways of making a few quid to survive in the meantime...

hammer

Massive upsurge in referee`s over last 2 years. Standard is falling :)
They only get expenses. No revenue liability :)

Do Domino`s pay you an hourly or drop rate ?

cozzy121

Yes, but does this nation DESERVE to be saved, eh?
If you take a good hard look at what have we became over the last 10 years, you shouldn’t like what you see.

And the thing is, we're very likely to make the same mistakes, to elect the same type of politicians, to blow the same chances again and again. We never learn.

Do we really deserve more chances?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies