Survival strategy after Christmas

Mugabe

Massive upsurge in referee`s over last 2 years. Standard is falling :)
They only get expenses. No revenue liability :)

Do Domino`s pay you an hourly or drop rate ?
don't know about pay in domino's, but i'm sure there's ways and means.

lets face it, were going back to a cash society and that means moon lighting baby :p

As for refereeing - we can take our anger out on them :D

politicaldonations

simple solution. Economy needs to go back to level of early 2000s and cut all payments to those at that time. Social welfare recipients, public sector workers etc all want to hold on to late 2000s payments but this is impossible. The battle is between those who receive payments from state and those who are net contributors to the state's coffer. Gov tax take is down 40+%, even with a return to normal unemployment rate of 6-8% gov still needs to cut expenditure to 30% less than peak levels. Corp tax cant be touched as its far too important to the overall economy. Income taxes can only go bit higher before no more is received with higher and higher rates. GET REAL people, We have to cut all recipients of public money despite the effects it will have on our friends and families as the state is broke and brrrowing at an alarming rate. Like a junkie we need to come off our addiction to cheap credit and public expenditure cold turkey .

Cato

simple solution. Economy needs to go back to level of early 2000s and cut all payments to those at that time. Social welfare recipients, public sector workers etc all want to hold on to late 2000s payments but this is impossible. The battle is between those who receive payments from state and those who are net contributors to the state's coffer. Gov tax take is down 40+%, even with a return to normal unemployment rate of 6-8% gov still needs to cut expenditure to 30% less than peak levels. Corp tax cant be touched as its far too important to the overall economy. Income taxes can only go bit higher before no more is received with higher and higher rates. GET REAL people, We have to cut all recipients of public money despite the effects it will have on our friends and families as the state is broke and brrrowing at an alarming rate. Like a junkie we need to come off our addiction to cheap credit and public expenditure cold turkey .
While all of that is interesting it doesn't really go to explaining how individuals or families are to survive the coming period of woe. Any suggestions on that score?

politicaldonations

While all of that is interesting it doesn't really go to explaining how individuals or families are to survive the coming period of woe. Any suggestions on that score?
Nobody will starve or freeze. Nobody will go without the basics, and i mean basics. Gov along with opposition could agree a scheme to keep families who are trying their best in the houses for the period of the four year plan. If social welfare is cut then pro active hardship funds/schemes should be set up to help the truly needed during this period and likes of vincent de paul boosted.

realist

I was discussing this with my two next door neighbours last night. We are preparing for next year as if we are going into battle!

We have decided that we are going to share our rubbish collection i.e. one bin between the three of us. At present we are paying the bones of €400 a year per house so we will be saving €266 each. Anything that can be burnt will be put in the fire!

We will also be writing to the local council stating our objection to having flouride pumped into our drinking water and we will not pay water charges until it is removed.

We will refuse to pay any property tax but, if we can afford it, will each put the equivalent money into a savings account (in NI probably) to offset any charges due on our estate. At the rate house prices are dropping at present, who knows whether the house will even be worth the charges. Otherwise we will have a nice little lump sum to spend, if we so wish, in a few years time. Rather us have it than handing it over to the bondholders!

We are all into growing vegetables in the garden so next year we will each grow different crops rather than all of us having loads of tomatoes and no onions as happened this year!

I must add that all this was decided over a couple of bottles of wine last night so we'll have to arrange another night in to actually put our plan into action! Anyone know if Tesco are still doing the discount buy 6 bottles - get one free? Works out very cheap when you share the cost between three people!

jimwin

refereeing idea - brilliant! Not mad about the Pizza Delivery though

Please. More suggestions on how to make money.........................

That's what is needed here. Come on boys and girls...........

Oh. Now is the time to time to plant onions and garlic for free harvesting next summer....

jimwin

Step 1. for people experiencing hardship or poverty or those people who want to help someone facing difficulties...............: Find out what rights and entitlements you have

You would be surprised at what is available from Statutory and Voluntary agencies to alleviate the effects of hardship

If people are making decisions about whether to pay rent/bills or eat I would suggest they get the support available.

Paddythai

Some interesting views on here. And of course some extreme opinions.

I am not so sure about the wisdom of saving money for the future. Money can loose value as has happened in many countries in crisis. If you were to spend your money on something like insulation, cheap heating system your investment will get a real return.
You might be taking a risk leaving money in an Irish bank or investing it in paper funds. Hiding it in the house is dangerous as the crime rate will continue to rise.
If I had lots of money I would buy farmland in Ireland or preferably overseas.

TRying to become self sufficient does not make sense to me. We are social animals and thrive when we work together. I see people getting together informally and formally and helping each other all the time. This can be as simple as collecting each others kids from school to sharing a house together.

A community garden is a more productive way to grow your own as well as being sociable and healthy.

mothball

I just thought expenditure had to fall to 2002 levels, but I must have missed the mad max situation at the time.
I have been seeing a lot of survival channels appearing on youtube lately while I watched videos about precious metals. Essentially, they're fearing hyperinflation in the USA, but surely we're not months away from a time where it costs you fifteen million euro to buy some cheese.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYxqMnjxPuQ]YouTube - Survival: Be a Good Neighbor[/ame]

irishpurplerevolution

To the people of Ireland.

IRISHMEN AND IRISHWOMEN: In the name of your God and of the dead generations from which she receives her old tradition of nationhood, Ireland, through us, summons her children to her flag and strikes for her freedom.

We declare the right of the people of Ireland to the ownership of Ireland, and to the unfettered control of Irish destinies, to be sovereign and indefeasible. The long usurpation of that right by a corrupt people and governments has not extinguished the right, nor can it ever be extinguished except by the destruction of the Irish people. In every generation the Irish people have asserted their right to national freedom and sovereignty: six times during the past three hundred years they have asserted it in arms. Standing on that fundamental right and again asserting it in arms in the face of the world, we hereby proclaim the Irish Republic as a Sovereign Independent State, and we pledge our lives and the lives of our comrades-in-arms to the cause of its freedom, of its welfare, and its exaltation among the nations.

The Irish Republic is entitled to, and hereby claims, the allegiance of every Irishman and Irishwoman. The Republic guarantees religious and civil liberty, equal rights and equal opportunities to all its citizens, and declares its resolve to pursue the happiness and prosperity of the whole nation and of all its parts, cherishing all the children of the nation equally, and oblivious of the differences carefully fostered by an alien government, which have divided people in pursuit of their own self-service and greed.

Until our arms or votes have brought the opportune moment for the establishment of a permanent National Government, representative of the whole people of Ireland and elected by the suffrages of all her men and women, the Provisional Government, hereby constituted, will administer the civil and military affairs of the Republic in trust for the people.

In this supreme hour the Irish nation must, by its valour and discipline and by the readiness of its children to sacrifice themselves for the common good, prove itself worthy of the august destiny to which it is called.
Neither labour red, republican green or conservative blue but purple for the people.

AIMS:
1. Dismantling of all unnecessary state institutions and related budgets from the top down.
2. The end of mafia politics in Ireland.
3. A public sector run like a private sector service and a private sector with the most basic public service values.
4. Creation of a true Second Republic in Ireland.

REFORM Party Provisional Government
November 2010

antiestablishmentarian

AIMS:
1. Dismantling of all unnecessary state institutions and related budgets from the top down.
2. The end of mafia politics in Ireland.
3. A public sector run like a private sector service and a private sector with the most basic public service values.
4. Creation of a true Second Republic in Ireland.

REFORM Party Provisional Government
November 2010
:lol: You have some serious competition, if you didn't know already the Continuity IRA Army Council is the legitimate provisional government of the country.

As for the op, I'd say what's needed is scrimping and saving, and a turn towards self sufficiency in terms of co-operative food gardens and community self help groups, cutting timber from Coillte forests for fuel etc.

Ireland_sucks

We will also be writing to the local council stating our objection to having flouride pumped into our drinking water and we will not pay water charges until it is removed.
That's a great idea, in more ways than one! F. is a poison, period.

gatsbygirl20

God, all the "make do and mend" advice is frankly depressing. I was born into poverty---real poverty--and know how truly awful it is. It has no redeeming features. Playing at poverty can be fun---middle class "bring and borrow" evenings and so on--but the real thing is to be avoided at all costs.

I remember the "dinner parties" of the (relatively affluent) 70s and 80s. Everyone bringing their own bottle of undrinkable plonk. Chili con carne made from cheap mince. Someone recounting the adventures of some rich friend who actually owned a dishwasher--wow!---or who managed to get the price of a flight to Paris---yeah, Paris, wow!.
.......Never having enough hot water, or a Power shower, or any shower, car always breaking down and having to be towed, everything bought second-hand or if lucky "vintage", looking enviously at beautiful things one could never afford---beautiful simple glassware, heavy cotton sheets, a silk scarf, good leather shoes, a well-cut cashmere and wool coat, a weekend in Tuscany......

I remember the back-breaking work as a child of "grow your own"---freezing wet evenings spent digging spuds, or carrots and unions for the family table. Great days. Slipping back there feels like fun. Not.

realist

God, all the "make do and mend" advice is frankly depressing. I was born into poverty---real poverty--and know how truly awful it is. It has no redeeming features. Playing at poverty can be fun---middle class "bring and borrow" evenings and so on--but the real thing is to be avoided at all costs.

I remember the "dinner parties" of the (relatively affluent) 70s and 80s. Everyone bringing their own bottle of undrinkable plonk. Chili con carne made from cheap mince. Someone recounting the adventures of some rich friend who actually owned a dishwasher--wow!---or who managed to get the price of a flight to Paris---yeah, Paris, wow!.
.......Never having enough hot water, or a Power shower, or any shower, car always breaking down and having to be towed, everything bought second-hand or if lucky "vintage", looking enviously at beautiful things one could never afford---beautiful simple glassware, heavy cotton sheets, a silk scarf, good leather shoes, a well-cut cashmere and wool coat, a weekend in Tuscany......

I remember the back-breaking work as a child of "grow your own"---freezing wet evenings spent digging spuds, or carrots and unions for the family table. Great days. Slipping back there feels like fun. Not.
You're right there - poverty is not fun. But there are 450,000 unemployed people in Ireland at the moment who are not "playing at poverty" and many more who are worried about how they will get through next year.

You might be very surprised to know that there are still many people making chili con carne with cheap mince and who, Oh My God, (or some other middle class expression of incredulity) don't have a dishwasher! How much does a cashmere coat or a weekend in Tuscany cost by the way? Bearing in mind there are 2000 people getting their ESB cut off every month, a shower is as much a dream for many in 2010 as it was in the 80's.

Black Cat

She was making a valid point about her own personal experience and situation realist - no need to put her down just because she didn't include everyone - I'm sure she knows those people exist.

realist

She was making a valid point about her own personal experience and situation realist - no need to put her down just because she didn't include everyone - I'm sure she knows those people exist.
I may have gone a bit over the top but it does seem that many people do not realise that the Celtic Tiger bypassed a lot of Irish people.

Black Cat

Aye, me one of them - I hated that period - just looking at peoples lovely homes all around and knowing I'd never be able to afford one:(

realist

Aye, me one of them - I hated that period - just looking at peoples lovely homes all around and knowing I'd never be able to afford one:(
Count your blessings! To be quite honest I could have easily afforded to trade up three or four years ago but I really had no interest in owning a big "look how well I'm doing" house. My wages have been cut by exactly 50% in the space of a year and our company is literally living from Friday to Friday now so I am really glad I wasn't tempted.

Black Cat

Me too - down from 18 grand a year last year to under 14 now - still not as bad off as a lot I know and only myself and my cats to worry about - I am hoping on a sense of community to bring us through - plus this is a relatively peaceful society with a small population

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies