• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Surviving 1916 veterans?

FutureTaoiseach

Website
greatdearleader.blogspot.com
Are there any surviving 1916 veterans? Willie O'Dea is quoted in the Irish Times today as saying he doesn't know. Do you?

If there are, he/she/they should play a part in the commemorations this year.

sean1

Website
www.gaelport.com
No, my Great-Grandparents were actually at the football match in Croke Park when the Black n Tans came in and killed some of the supporters and one of the players though. My Great-Grandparents were on their honeymoon- which shows you how poor most of us we were at the time.

FutureTaoiseach

Website
greatdearleader.blogspot.com
Maybe others know of survivors. You are right by the way about how poor we were after 700 years of foreign rule.

krayZpaving

Website
www.keith.gs
Any survivor capable of remembering it would have to be at least 106 years old (in order to have been 16 when it happened).
There are plenty of people whose father/grandfather was in the GPO then though ;)

MrCrow

I recently interviewed a War of Independence veteran (104). He was in limerick when the rising took place. There was a great stir around the city with rumours of somthing going on in Dublin. I very much doubt that there are any actual veterans of the rising left though. I think that WOI vets are fairly thin on the ground.

edifice.

krayZpaving said:
There are plenty of people whose father/grandfather was in the GPO then though ;)
Tom Barry gives a good account of that saying that the GPO was too small to hold all those who claimed to have fought in it. A bit like the swelled ranks of PSF.

badinage

FutureTaoiseach said:
Maybe others know of survivors. You are right by the way about how poor we were after 700 years of foreign rule.
yeah, its terrible alright. And meantime working class English people would honeymoon in the Sechelles and hit Ibiza every summer back in 1920. :x

nuj

FutureTaoiseach said:
You are right by the way about how poor we were after 700 years of foreign rule.
The fact that Ireland was, in 1916, among the wealthiest countries in Europe (and, by extension, the world) wouldn't interfere with your prejudices, would it? GDP per capita at the time was about 60% of that of the UK, but way ahead of most other countries.

Isn't it great to have someone to blame for your inadequacies, though? Especially when they're foreign.

FutureTaoiseach said:
Are there any surviving 1916 veterans? Willie O'Dea is quoted in the Irish Times today as saying he doesn't know. Do you?

I'm sure there are a few veterans of '16 in RSF's youth wing. :D

iceman

sean1 said:
No, my Great-Grandparents were actually at the football match in Croke Park when the Black n Tans came in and killed some of the supporters and one of the players though. My Great-Grandparents were on their honeymoon- which shows you how poor most of us we were at the time.[/quote]

No sean your grandad had his priorities right. :wink:

Norfolk Enchants

FutureTaoiseach said:

Willie O'Dea doesn't know :eek: And this is a minister of the government who want to reclaim 1916...surely not !

Has anyone read Curious Journey....a must read for everyone who wants to know anything about Irish history IMHO. Interviews 9 people who fought through 1916, taking separate sides in the "Civil War" Tom Barry, Martin Walton etc. I'd imagine they've all passed away comparitively recently, and not with the fanfare associated with the deaths of the great British generals etc. A bit late for our "Irish" government to be paying tribute to these selfless individuals now!

campbeca

FutureTaoiseach said:
apart from the acuaducts, education... what have the romans ever done for us?

duff

I dont think there is. My own grand parents took part in 1916 and subseqent happenings.

GusherING

I'm fairly doubtful. My great grandad and great great grandad also fought in the Rising. (I have the medals to provew it, btw). My great grandad died about 30 years ago and he took part aged 18, so you would have to be well over 100 to have fought and still be alive.

merle haggard

As a child I had the honour to be introduced by my father to Dublin republican Joe Clarke . Joe was a survivor of the legendary Mount street Bridge engagement during the rebellion . He and handful of republicans held an entire regiment off and inflicted almost 200 fatalities on them and many injured despite coming under murderous fire and being heavily outnumbered .

This was around 1974 I met him in a pub in Sallins near Bodenstown and I believe he died a few years later, still a committed fenian to the end .

http://republican-news.org/archive/2000 ... 0hist.html

martin TYRONE

The last person receiving a military pension from the state for active service during easter 1916 died in 2003 I discovered this when I went to the national arcives to read the witness statements

Catalpast

Irishtimes reporting that the 1916-relatives says families should consider boycotting 2016 commemoration.
That is pointless

But we need a bloody good debate as to why so much of what we hoped for

- has still not come to pass....:?

freewillie

Irishtimes reporting that the 1916-relatives says families should consider boycotting 2016 commemoration.

The 1916 commemoration does not belong to the descendants of the people who participated in 1916. Their link is solely by birth. While they are entitled to their opinion it shouldn't hold any greater weight than the opinion of others in this Republic.
The lawfully elected Government has decided on a commemoration process. If people wish to boycott it so be it. The commemoration ceremony will be going ahead.

freewillie

About Joe Clarke, he was invited 1966 commemoration by the State and told the organisers to go to hell.
That was his entitlement. He was invited and didn't wish to to attend. I am sure that his absence didn't detract from the commemoration ceremonies.

ruserious

Dunno why the families of those in 1916 feel they are owed so much.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies