Suspected FGM case in Dublin

petaljam

A previous thread has been removed for the moment for possible legal issues. Obviously if it's reinstated this thread can be closed or merged, but in the meantime I felt the subject was worth discussing so I thought I'd give it another go.

Gardaí confirmed that a man, who is in his early 30s and is believed to be of eastern African origin, was arrested in connection with an assault at around 8pm on Thursday.
It is understood that the man was taken into custody after concerns were raised over the attempted genital mutilation of the girl - believed to be just two years old.
Man arrested over suspected female genital mutilation in Dublin

The man was detained at Crumlin Garda Station and has apparently since been released without charge, although a file is being prepared. The child is recovering in hospital.

Clearly since this will probably lead to a court case it's necessary to be careful about discussing this actual case, but the general issue is still an important one, especially as the allegation that this was happening in Ireland is not entirely new.

From what I know of the various procedures, I'm fairly certain that male circumcision is not nearly as harmful to the child as FGM but it is still a form of genital mutilation of a child. I also read recently that while far more males than females around the world are circumcised, nevertheless FGM practically only ever occurs in cultures that are also circumcising all males.

Since FGM rates are not falling in many countries (WHO | Slow progress in ending female genital mutilation) despite several decades of efforts, and in fact seem to be spreading to Europe too, could a ban on male circumcision be the best way to end FGM, as well as being of benefit to little boys?

Eire1976

Disgusting activity, this needs to be clamped down upon with extreme ferocity.

amist4

A previous thread has been removed for the moment for possible legal issues. Obviously if it's reinstated this thread can be closed or merged, but in the meantime I felt the subject was worth discussing so I thought I'd give it another go.

Man arrested over suspected female genital mutilation in Dublin

The man was detained at Crumlin Garda Station and has apparently since been released without charge, although a file is being prepared. The child is recovering in hospital.

Clearly since this will probably lead to a court case it's necessary to be careful about discussing this actual case, but the general issue is still an important one, especially as the allegation that this was happening in Ireland is not entirely new.

From what I know of the various procedures, I'm fairly certain that male circumcision is not nearly as harmful to the child as FGM but it is still a form of genital mutilation of a child. I also read recently that while far more males than females around the world are circumcised, nevertheless FGM practically only ever occurs in cultures that are also circumcising all males.

Since FGM rates are not falling in many countries (WHO | Slow progress in ending female genital mutilation) despite several decades of efforts, and in fact seem to be spreading to Europe too, could a ban on male circumcision be the best way to end FGM, as well as being of benefit to little boys?
Think of FGM as discarding the genitals and repeal the 8th as discarding the rest.

Mercurial

I can't see any way to curb FGM except to educate people about its harms and complete lack of benefits (and to prosecute anyone caught doing it, obviously).

This contrasts with the case of male circumcision to the extent that it is much less harmful (though still prima facie harmful), is occasionally medically required, and may be beneficial in certain places where HIV rates are very high.

mr. jings

Think of FGM as discarding the genitals and repeal the 8th as discarding the rest.
Think of ham sandwiches as tiny sliced pans, where someone used a slice of ham instead of bread in the middle by accident.

willow68

Ah. Was wondering what happened to this thread.
All genital mutilation of children is abhorrent, arguably that of little girls is more so as it is designed to completely root out sexual pleasure and self- determination.
Perpetrators of this crime ought to be thrown in jail for 30 years at least to send the message that this is not acceptable in a modern equal society. Fat chance I know...

The Field Marshal

Both Jews and Mohamedans in Ireland practice MGM.
Male genital mutilation.

Somehow though that's ok.

mr. jings

I'd be against all forms of ritual circumcision of children. FGM is particularly horrific, but I find even the more generally tolerated forms of male circumcision extremely disturbing.

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
Comrade Fintan O'Toole seems to have had a memory lapse about some of those on the "multicultural left" that he used to associate with ...as he now seems to have copped on to the issues

http://www.politics.ie/forum/current-affairs/233941-fintan-otoole-saudis-have-hijacked-islam.html

Fintan was a big fanboy of Metro Eireann which gave Liam Egan and his ilk a platform

Also some of the "happy-clappy , touchy-feely" funding Fintan and his ilk forced out of the State ended up with "neck-snappy , gropey-wopey" types

It would be helpful if Comrrade Fintan was to prompt his fellow travelers into swift condemnation of FGM (that is, those of them who haven't travelled to join ISIS)

cyp

Pabilito

Comrade Fintan O'Toole seems to have had a memory lapse about some of those on the "multicultural left" that he used to associate with ...as he now seems to have copped on to the issues

http://www.politics.ie/forum/current-affairs/233941-fintan-otoole-saudis-have-hijacked-islam.html

Fintan was a big fanboy of Metro Eireann which gave Liam Egan and his ilk a platform

Also some of the "happy-clappy , touchy-feely" funding Fintan and his ilk forced out of the State ended up with "neck-snappy , gropey-wopey" types

It would be helpful if Comrrade Fintan was to prompt his fellow travelers into swift condemnation of FGM (that is, those of them who haven't travelled to join ISIS)

cyp
connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused).

The Field Marshal

Ah. Was wondering what happened to this thread.
All genital mutilation of children is abhorrent, arguably that of little girls is more so as it is designed to completely root out sexual pleasure and self- determination.
Perpetrators of this crime ought to be thrown in jail for 30 years at least to send the message that this is not acceptable in a modern equal society. Fat chance I know...
Are you going to talk about the way the genitalia of male babies are sliced and diced by ritual Judaism [and to a lessor extent by ritual mohamedanism] in Ireland?

What's the big ballyhoo about cutting girls when infant boys are subject to the same barbarity?

The Field Marshal

I'd be against all forms of ritual circumcision of children. FGM is particularly horrific, but I find even the more generally tolerated forms of male circumcision extremely disturbing.
You see it's somehow a "female " issue.

The male penis does not matter to these feminist harridans.

The Field Marshal

Dearghoul

Are you going to talk about the way the genitalia of male babies are sliced and diced by ritual Judaism [and to a lessor extent by ritual mohamedanism] in Ireland?

What's the big ballyhoo about cutting girls when infant boys are subject to the same barbarity?
Cicumcision does not remove sensation from the penis.

FGM is intended to remove all sensation from the female genital area.

There are some (highly debatable) hygienic benefits to circumcision.

There are none to female genital mutilation.

Satisfied?

willow68

Ah man seriously.
I despise both when done for religious/cultural reasons.
I have a son who had a medical condition which required the removal of his foreskin when he was a very young boy. He is sowing his wild oats in uni. Not a bother on him.
Contrast this with the removal of labia and clitoris in a 4 year old girl. Without anasthesia. Then whatever is left is crudely stitched up only for the hero husband to open - usually with a knife or razorblade - on the wedding night.
Whataboutery is uncalled for. This is torture and utter subjugation of the feminine. It must not be allowed in civilised society.

willow68

Whatever about that, you seem to have an unhealthy disdain for females in general. Not all of us opinionated broads have a manhating agenda

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies