• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Swapping Drivers Licenses within the E.U.

hiker

I'm not sure if this has been discussed but I have learned recently of an ingenious little scam involving Swapped Dirvers Licenses within the EU.

Step 1. You are a Polish national looking to obtain a drivers license for a car.

Step 2. Do the Drivers Theory Test, pass and apply for a Provisional Drivers License.

Step 3. On your next visit home to Warsaw, leave in your Irish Provisional License to be exchanged for a Polish Drivers License. The Polish authorities will issue a FULL B License because they never heard of provisional licenses.

Step 4. On your return to Dublin swap your full Polish Drivers License into a FULL IRISH DRIVERS LICENSE. Perfectly legal to do within the EU.

Brilliant, eh? :?

This can also be done for Provisional C and D licenses.

Will we have to wait for somebody to die before this scam is stopped?

Nimrod

Almost as good as claming child benefit in Poland and Ireland simulatneously.

daithimac

Twitter
@daveyawesome
I have heard that you can do that with a english license also.

actually no. The procedure is..
get fake irish licence, does not matter how bad,
Go over to england and change your licence for a uk licence
come back to ireland and change your uk licence for a irish licence and voila
you have yourself a official irish licence without ever having to sit a test.

Paul R

hiker said:
I'm not sure if this has been discussed but I have learned recently of an ingenious little scam involving Swapped Dirvers Licenses within the EU.

Step 1. You are a Polish national looking to obtain a drivers license for a car.

Step 2. Do the Drivers Theory Test, pass and apply for a Provisional Drivers License.

Step 3. On your next visit home to Warsaw, leave in your Irish Provisional License to be exchanged for a Polish Drivers License. The Polish authorities will issue a FULL B License because they never heard of provisional licenses.

Step 4. On your return to Dublin swap your full Polish Drivers License into a FULL IRISH DRIVERS LICENSE. Perfectly legal to do within the EU.

To the best of my knowledge, the Polish licensing authorities return the Irish license to licensing authorities here (or are supposed to). The licensing authorities here should have no difficulty in tracking the people involved down (i.e. Irish Provisional License No. X swopped for Polish License No. Y swopped for Irish License No. Z). After that it is up to the Gardai and the DPP.

hiker

Paul R said:
hiker said:

To the best of my knowledge, the Polish licensing authorities return the Irish license to licensing authorities here (or are supposed to). The licensing authorities here should have no difficulty in tracking the people involved down (i.e. Irish Provisional License No. X swopped for Polish License No. Y swopped for Irish License No. Z). After that it is up to the Gardai and the DPP.

Yeah, you would think it was that simple. What are the chances the Garda are going to find Pzremeck at the address on the liscense, assuming he put an Irish address on it in the first place.

He will have put his home address in Warsaw as his address and then returned to Ireland with his new full B license.

Overall its not a huge issue because there are Irish drivers on provisional licenses on our roads who never took a lesson in their lives and are all round pretty crap drivers.

Its the larger truck and bus licenses that worry me because of the potential damage that can be caused.

seanad voter

daithimac said:

Where did you pick up this rubbish ? I have had both RoI and UK licences. They are very strict in the UK (where I originally did my driving test during a near-riot in Derry in 1972) and will send you a load of forms to fill in and may even call you in for a wee chat if they're at all suspicious.

Aindriu

seanad voter said:
daithimac said:

Where did you pick up this rubbish ? I have had both RoI and UK licences. They are very strict in the UK (where I originally did my driving test during a near-riot in Derry in 1972) and will send you a load of forms to fill in and may even call you in for a wee chat if they're at all suspicious.
I agree. If you lose a UK licence you have a mountain of paperwork to complete to get it replaced.

We need to sort out our own crap drivers before we worry about others.

meriwether

This scam is also a favourite of the Irish backpacker in Australia.
So much so, that the Oz authorities are instructed to be super suspicious when an Irish accent approaches the counter in a license centre.

LTGuy

provisional licence
Before you jump at hapless Polish "schemer" - can you explain what is the point of provisional licence? And why should anyone be compelled to "swap" it for a full licence? Did you know there are NO provisional licences in Central Europe in the first place?

hiker

LTGuy said:
provisional licence
Before you jump at hapless Polish "schemer" - can you explain what is the point of provisional licence? And why should anyone be compelled to "swap" it for a full licence? Did you know there are NO provisional licences in Central Europe in the first place?
Quite the contrary, if it were me I would do exactly the same thing. Thats what loopholes are for. :lol:

Its the fact that provisional licenses exist in Ireland is the reason that the loophole exists.
I dont blame any other nationality for this mess. Its ours (Irish)and ours alone.

Defeated Romanticist

meriwether said:
This scam is also a favourite of the Irish backpacker in Australia.
So much so, that the Oz authorities are instructed to be super suspicious when an Irish accent approaches the counter in a license centre.
I've heard a good way to get around immigration in USA and Australia is to use your as Gaeilge name and apply again when your visa runs out. Quasi-legal, like the license.

Aindriu

hiker said:
LTGuy said:
provisional licence
Quite the contrary, if it were me I would do exactly the same thing. Thats what loopholes are for. :lol:

Its the fact that provisional licenses exist in Ireland is the reason that the loophole exists.
I dont blame any other nationality for this mess. Its ours (Irish)and ours alone.
They also exist in the UK and it is not possible to exchange a UK provisional licence for a full Irish one or vice versa.

LTGuy

But can anyone EXPLAIN the point of provisional licence? I assume you don't mean "the temporary licence" issued to someone whose real licence has been suspended (after accident, say)?

Conor

LTGuy said:
But can anyone EXPLAIN the point of provisional licence?
It's for learners.
How do people learn to drive in Central Europe?

jjcarroll

Website
www.semper-idem.eu
What does seem to be relatively common is to keep two licenses on the go.. Normally this is just to avoid penalty points, but also so that if your ****ed off the road in one jurisdiction, you put the endoresement on one license and are okay to drive with the other.

LTGuy

Conor said:
LTGuy said:
It's for learners.
In Lithuania after you have exams and driving test passed you get a full licence, but for 2 years you have speed limit imposed. The fact if you have to comply with lower speed limits is established by simply looking at the date of licence issuance. So why would you need "provisional" and then "full" licence if licence issuance date gives the same info?

People who didn't pass driving test and exam have no right to drive at all, unless in a special car with an instructor from a driving school who has a second brake pedal in passenger's place so he can forcefully stop the car if something is wrong.

Conor

LTGuy said:
Conor said:
LTGuy said:
It's for learners.
In Lithuania after you have exams and driving test passed you get a full licence, but for 2 years you have speed limit imposed. The fact if you have to comply with lower speed limits is established by simply looking at the date of licence issuance. So why would you need "provisional" and then "full" licence if licence issuance date gives the same info?
I don't understand your question.

Do you need any sort of licence to practice for your driving test, or can anyone do it?

In UK for a young driver if they get caught speeding and get 6 points within 2 years of pasing test then they need to completely retake test.

I've suggested to my young nephew that he should come to the Uk and take the test and then wait a year if he passes before exchanging the licence in Ireland. He will still have an Irish licence quicker doing this than waiting the 60 weeks for a test.

iago

hiker said:

why would stopping the scam prevent peole from dying? they can still drive perfectly legally on a provisional. its pure stupidity. when it comes to driving we should have two types of people, people with licenses and people who dont. this halfway house license would be laughable if it wasn't so lethal. more cowardice at govt level. will gormley be stronger I wonder...