• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Sweden's Kids have a gender neutral Christmas

Happytolearn

As a logical follow on from Sweden's recent moves toward gender neutrality, photos from from a children's Toys "R" Us Christmas catalogue depict boys playing with what would traditionally be girls toys and vice versa. I understand Sweden's gender neutral pronoun has already been discussed on P.ie - As a child I had a natural urge toward my sister's dolls - much to her dismay. I feel it healthy and right for children to be supplied with whatever toys they lean toward (as long as they are safe and age appropriate). In a contrasting view to my own I have read that Debbie Schlussel (linked below) feels that it is dangerously demasculating our male children and urges us on pain of cultural annihilation to keep things traditional. Would you allow your boy to play with Barbie ? and likewise your girl to play with Action Man?

Toys "R" Us Licensee Offers Gender-Neutral Toy Catalog in Sweden - WSJ.com

Sweden Did WHAT to It’s Boys? No Wonder Muslims Are Taking Over Malmo, Etc. – Thx, Toys “R” Us!

[/URL][/IMG]

D

Dylan2010

They will probably ban the new girl Lego....actually not a bad idea

Clanrickard

As a logical follow on from Sweden's recent moves toward gender neutrality, photos from from a children's Toys "R" Us Christmas catalogue depict boys playing with what would traditionally be girls toys and vice versa. I understand Sweden's gender neutral pronoun has already been discussed on P.ie - As a child I had a natural urge toward my sister's dolls - much to her dismay. I feel it healthy and right for children to be supplied with whatever toys they lean toward (as long as they are safe and age appropriate). In a contrasting view to my own I have read that Debbie Schlussel (linked below) feels that it is dangerously demasculating our male children and urges us on pain of cultural annihilation to keep things traditional. Would you allow your boy to play with Barbie ? and likewise your girl to play with Action Man?

Toys "R" Us Licensee Offers Gender-Neutral Toy Catalog in Sweden - WSJ.com

Sweden Did WHAT to It’s Boys? No Wonder Muslims Are Taking Over Malmo, Etc. – Thx, Toys “R” Us!

[/URL][/IMG]
My son has played with dolls. I won't buy them for him but if he comes across them and plays with them fine. Personally I tend to stick to gender roles with kids but support them if they stray outside these roles. It is easier and handier. I worry about Sweden. Feminism has become an infectious disease. Toys'R'us were forced by law to show boys playing with girls' toys and vice versa.

meriwether

Good to see you so accepting of your sons homosexuality, Clanrickard.

Fair play.

Red_93

Did you know you can be a man AND a nurse nowadays?

ruserious

[/URL][/IMG]

I bet that young fella secretly hates girls toys but has 'alterior motives' :cool:

As far as I see it, that isn't gender neutral. They ARE girls toys been given to boys. A gender neutral toy would be like a yo-yo or something.

Asparagus

Letting is one thing.

Would i force my boy to play with dolls? No.
Would i encourage it? No
Would i let him play with dolls? Yes
Would i worry if he did? Yes

Why - because i want him to be comfortable in his own skin and not trying to conform to some gender neutral, androgenous, lets all ignore our nads, scandinavian nonsense.

Men, women - different.
Great together.

Clanrickard

Happytolearn

My son has played with dolls. I won't buy them for him but if he comes across them and plays with them fine. Personally I tend to stick to gender roles with kids but support them if they stray outside these roles. It is easier and handier. I worry about Sweden. Feminism has become an infectious disease. Toys'R'us were forced by law to show boys playing with girls' toys and vice versa.
Have a read of the second link above - She has some things to say on Feminism - That said she's clearly quite controversial on a number of topics.

Happytolearn

Letting is one thing.

Would i encourage it? No

Why - because i want him to be comfortable in his own skin and not trying to conform to some gender neutral, androgenous, lets all ignore our nads, scandinavian nonsense.

Men, women - different.
Great together.
Fair enough - but why would you worry if he genuinely wanted to?

ruserious

I still fathom at how Yorkie have got away with it so long!

Clanrickard

Letting is one thing.

Would i encourage it? No

Men, women - different.
Great together.
My son player with dolls when he was with girl friends. He is now 8 and would be horrified to think he'd play dolls. he is into football and soccer and wrestling. I don't think small kids know what is and is not feminine/masculine and will develop along their own path. Thankfully 99% of boys and girls turn out to be boys and girls.

ruserious

Fair enough - but why would you worry if he genuinely wanted to?
It's natural for fathers to want their kids to carry on the name. If their kids don't want to, then you should support them but doesn't take away the original hope.

Hewson

It's hard to know just who is driving this moronic abuse of what true 'equality' means. We've been shifted from working towards equality in treatment for both sexes in law and in wider society to some silly, narrow path that leads to the feminisation of men and the masculisation of women, as if either were some kind of panacea for ending genuine gender discrimination.

Maybe it's radical feminists who are behind it, or maybe it's media-driven. I'm not sure and I don't particularly care. But what I do know is that in attempting to re-define stereotypes, it's promoting even more ****-eyed views than those they're attempting to undo.

Last edited:

Happytolearn

I bet that young fella secretly hates girls toys but has 'alterior motives' :cool:

As far as I see it, that isn't gender neutral. They ARE girls toys been given to boys. A gender neutral toy would be like a yo-yo or something.
I see your point - I think what they're getting at is that all toys are to be seen as gender neutral - that gender should not be ascribed to a toy -

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies