• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Swirly pipes save the world

qtman

Well, they help anyway.

link

"This odd-looking swirly-shaped pipe (pictured) is a green technology from a new British company called HeliSwirl. It’s a swirly-shaped pipe. It’s also a low-carbon technology - not because it is made with low-carbon materials or through some new energy-stingy manufacturing process, but because, well, because it’s swirly shape helps fluids flow through it more easily, requiring less power to run the pumps that pump the fluid."

Simple ideas are always the best.

CookieMonster

Oh I like that. I do love a simple idea.

Like that stove the US student designed that saves lives *goes off link hunting*

st333ve

Cool, the water must spin creating its own momentum or something.

Will we see straws like this?
I can never suck up my McDonalds milkshake.

I cant see the pipes saving the world, the world will function quite fine without pipes , or even humans for that matter.

CookieMonster

st333ve said:
Capitalist pigdog!

Wolverine

Well, it sounds good. There may be issues with routing the piping through walls and the like though.... not to mention the extra space that such a pipe would take up.

But if it reduces energy then that's a plus.

riven

Hmmm. Seems odd

qtman

Wolverine said:
Well, it sounds good. There may be issues with routing the piping through walls and the like though.... not to mention the extra space that such a pipe would take up.

But if it reduces energy then that's a plus.
I think the target application is in motors etc where it can be threaded in relatively straight lines.

st333ve

CookieMonster said:
st333ve said:
Capitalist pigdog!
Hmm i want another one now, you make McDonalds milkshakes sound so dirty! :lol:

johnfás

st333ve said:
CookieMonster said:
st333ve said:
Capitalist pigdog!
Hmm i want another one now, you make McDonalds milkshakes sound so dirty! :lol:
The main problem with McDonalds milkshakes is that they changed their straws from being a thick straight straw to a thin bendy straw. This is not conjusive to milkshake sucking. Burger King on the other hand have gone the reverse and brought in thick straight straws which are great for milkshakes. The main problem here is that Burger King milkshakes are not so nice so you will need to visit Burger King and have a stock of straws for when you go to McDonalds.

Coggy

The only real solution to this bendy straw fiasco and attack on the working class is a complete overthrow of capitalism :D ... their must be bendy and straight straws to suit all peoples needs ... VIVA LE REVOLUCION

Auditor #9

Website
www.*******.com
qtman said:
Well, they help anyway.

link

"This odd-looking swirly-shaped pipe (pictured) is a green technology from a new British company called HeliSwirl. It’s a swirly-shaped pipe. It’s also a low-carbon technology - not because it is made with low-carbon materials or through some new energy-stingy manufacturing process, but because, well, because it’s swirly shape helps fluids flow through it more easily, requiring less power to run the pumps that pump the fluid."

Simple ideas are always the best.

There are some simple ideas which are the best but don't know if this is it. Wolverine above makes a good point about the volume it'll take up in comparison to the older pipe. And doesn't it use more material? At a guess from looking at it I'd say a third more material goes into it, no?

Be interesting, however, to see the performance of it rigged up in a system with a pump attached...maybe a third less energy usage in the pump, perhaps?

We're always looking for that free lunch, eh?

bagel

Wolverine said:
easily solved;
use two smaller pipes intertwined together something like the double helix;
doh, we're kinda entering unreality now;

Pidge

bagel said:
Wolverine said:
easily solved;
use two smaller pipes intertwined together something like the double helix;
doh, we're kinda entering unreality now;
The idea just keeps getting better...

Pidge

The tags for threads like this are always strange:

straws, mcdonalds, milkshake, straight, capitalist, pigdog,

Ard-Taoiseach

Pidge said:
The tags for threads like this are always strange:

straws, mcdonalds, milkshake, straight, capitalist, pigdog,
I know :lol: :lol: :lol: tags here have an utterly un-self conscious comedy of their own. They're one of the things that make me laugh on this site.

It's a bit like the thread about Richard Delevan. Myself and Kf were talking about eunicity an eunuchness and *pop*! Up went eunuchness on the tags! Classic! :p

EvotingMachine0197

I'm having a bit of trouble trying to see the physics which could lead to a reduction in pump effort.

Qtman, you mentioned motor applications, do you mean hydraulic motors ?

Colada

Website
colada.bebo.com
I'm guessing the swirl effect reduces turbulence in the pipe.
Turbulence = Drag = Resistance.