Swiss Company wins contract. Irish company loses despite being cited as a world leader - Whats the point of being inside the EU ? #Irexit

GDPR

Swiss Company wins contract. Irish company loses despite being cited as a world leader - Whats the point of being inside the EU ? #Irexit

A story from 2005 ... which I came across while chatting on another thread.

Timoney Technology of Navan is cited as a world leader in military vehicles in this article

Timoney drops out of latest ?20m Army contract for armoured cars - Independent.ie

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timone...ted_of_Ireland

The disenchantment with tender competitions run by the Department of Defence comes after a number of setbacks in securing business from the Irish military.

These include modernising the Army's fleet of Panhard armoured cars, a contract which went to South Africa, and an ?84m contract for new armoured personnel carriers.
Timoney had tendered for that contract, but it went to Swiss firm Mowag.
So why did they lose the contract ? Why did a company from Switzerland outside the EU win a government contract tendered out by the Irish government which is inside the EU ? Whats the point of being inside the EU for business in this case ?

Dame_Enda

Were they offering a better price or not?

GDPR

2005 wouldn't have been our most competitive year.
Good point . However - the winner still wasn't an EU company . I thought government contracts could only be bid on by EU companies ? Or was that not the case then ?

ergo2

I think this is worth discussing.

Public procurement regs are difficult for relatively small companies to negotiate.

The bigger firms abroad are often able thru "partnerships" etc to muscle into contracts to the detriment of Irish companies

Civic_critic2

That company is selling APCs into Iraq for the US army. This makes us a target and is a threat to our security.

Good point . However - the winner still wasn't an EU company . I thought government contracts could only be bid on by EU companies ? Or was that not the case then ?
Please inform as to the rules. Research. Do it.

Trainwreck

A story from 2005 ... which I came across while chatting on another thread.

Timoney Technology of Navan is cited as a world leader in military vehicles in this article

Timoney drops out of latest ?20m Army contract for armoured cars - Independent.ie

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timone...ted_of_Ireland

So why did they lose the contract ? Why did a company from Switzerland outside the EU win a government contract tendered out by the Irish government which is inside the EU ? Whats the point of being inside the EU for business in this case ?

Jesus, are we that incestuous that would make our defence personal have to put up with second best?

FFS.

Dasayev

I guess the long and the short of it is:

The Swiss Mowag Piranha had been around for longer, and has a track record in many countries.

The Timoney Terrex was only developed in 2004, and only one country uses it - Singapore.

tsarbomb

I don't think that there's any requirement for these contracts to go to EU countries as we use equipment made in countries outside of the EU. For example we use a number of mortars which are manufactured in Switzerland and South Africa. Also, I haven't heard of such a rule.

Boy M5

Hang on, who was Taoiseach is 2005....

Boy M5

Hang on, who was Taoiseach is 2005....
Actually I'm sure the Mowag was better option at the time.

Timoney was set up by a fella in Opus Dei. They made armoured cars in late 70's and 80's for the army.

Elvis jaffacake

I think a major problem would be that Timoney didn't build vehicles at the time...

publicrealm

The Defence Forces had a handful of Timoney APCs in the 80's

[video=youtube;0RRHTCCzgzk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RRHTCCzgzk[/video]

raetsel

First clue: the Swiss signed a bilateral public procurement agreement with the EU in 2002.
If you are unaware of the nature of Switzerland's special relationship with the Common Market which dates back to 1973 then you need to read up about that before showing yourself up.
There is certainly no case to be made for "Irexit" on the basis of the case you have cited. Only an idiot would suggest it.

greengoose2

First clue: the Swiss signed a bilateral public procurement agreement with the EU in 2002.
If you are unaware of the nature of Switzerland's special relationship with the Common Market which dates back to 1973 then you need to read up about that before showing yourself up.
There is certainly no case to be made for "Irexit" on the basis of the case you have cited. Only an idiot would suggest it.
He did.

New Threads

Most Replies