• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Switzerland looks set to limit EU migrants

pete2

Faced with rising unemployment, the Swiss government is currently working on a dossier that would see limits imposed on the number of EU workers entering the landlocked alpine country.
Under bilateral accords signed with the EU, the Swiss government is entitled to limit the number of workers entering the country from the original EU15 member states, as well as from Cyprus and Malta, if unemployment rises above a certain threshold.

..new employment figures published by the state secretariat for economic affairs showed unemployment in April reached a new three-year high of 3.5 percent, adding to the prospects of a temporary limit on EU workers.
"Backed by the latest job market and migration statistics, the government will soon make a decision on the possible activation of the protection clause," justice department spokesman Philippe Piatti told Swiss media over the weekend.
Currently there are no restrictions on the number of EU workers that can take up job positions in Switzerland
EUobserver / Switzerland looks set to limit EU migrants

Bi-lateral accords sound like a good idea :)

Gruffalo

Is Ireland overflowing with Swiss people now?

I agree with bi-lateral accords but I am not sure that Switzerland would be the first country that we need to clamp down on.

Staropramen

Can we do the same? If so, why have we not done so?

It's great move by the Swiss and is the most common sense thing to do when unemployment is rising out of control.

All EU countries would benefit from this, especially Ireland if we did the same.

I read a couple of months back that in Malaysia I think it was, when redundancies are made, companies have to let the foreign nationals go first.

This idea is a little flawed but at least they look after their own first.

FF take note.

Analyzer

This move would only happen if Swiss unemployment rates are lower than EU rates, and Swiss take home pay is higher than EU levels.

If this has not already happened, it is the direction in which things are moving.

davehiggz

Great move by Switzerland as usual. A country that has its own currency, no EU laws but still has full access to the free markets on their own terms. Exactly what Ireland needs right now!