• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Switzerland to ban building of minarets?

Twin Towers

Switzerland is holding a nationwide vote on Sunday to change its constitution to ban the construction of minarets.

The ban is proposed by the largest party, the right wing Swiss Peoples Party, secularists and various leftists and feminists.

Opinion polls are showing that this may well go in favour of a ban and therefore construction of minarets will be outlawed in the heart of Europe.

This SPP poster depicting missile-like minarets rising from the Swiss flag recalls the Turkish prime minister Erdogans statement that "The minarets are our lances, the dome our helmets, the mosques our barracks and the faithful our armies."

Pauli

This has been one of the more animated campaigns in recent times. At the moment it seems to be a very close thing. Let's see what the people decide on Sunday.

sauntersplash

According to those in favour 'to prevent the Islamisiation of Switzerland'.

Its a referendum and not a government move.
I see. Seems like a funny way to go about it. But then you could hardly take a move that Switzerland makes to be a sign of anything. They're not exactly afraid to paddle their own canoe those fellas.

marmurr1916

Why pick on minarets? Surely church spires should be banned too?

This proposal is probably in breach of the European Convention on Human Rights since it seeks to impose restrictions on one religion in a discriminatory manner.

jmayo

I don't understand. Why are they doing this?
Perhaps it has something to do with the number of muslims reaching around 400,000 in their country and they don't want lots of minarets appearing over the coming years.

Or seen as the swiss have very strict noise pollution laws, they mightn't want minarets ringing out with calls to payers in the morning ?

BTW is Saudi Arabia allowing church spires appear over Riyah or Jeddah, never mind Mecca ?

Pauli

I see. Seems like a funny way to go about it. But then you could hardly take a move that Switzerland makes to be a sign of anything. They're not exactly afraid to paddle their own canoe those fellas.
A funny way to go about it? Perhaps. It's a funny sort of democracy, leaving such decisions in the hands of the people and not a bunch of politicians cut off from reality.

darkhorse

I dont see how it will stop the growth of Islam there at all
Although the mosques might not be so visible they will continue to exist and new ones built
A very superficial measure...

Fir Bolg

Why pick on minarets? Surely church spires should be banned too?

This proposal is probably in breach of the European Convention on Human Rights since it seeks to impose restrictions on one religion in a discriminatory manner.
They are not in the EU, so afaik are not constrained by the European Convention on human rights.

YoungLiberal

They are not in the EU, so afaik are not constrained by the European Convention on human rights.
Ahhhh.

The ECHR is administered by the ECtHR and is nothing to do with the EU. The ECHR is administered through national legislation of countries that are members of the Council of Europe (far older than the EU).

Switzerland is a member. Furthermore It wouldn't contravene Article 9 (I assume that's what is being referred to).

marmurr1916

The ECHR applies to all countries in Europe, and all 47 members of the Council of Europe (CoE), including Switzerland.

In fact, Switzerland holds the current Chairmanship of the Committee of Ministers of the CoE from this month until May 2010:

Press Release - 835(2009)

Council of Europe – Switzerland takes over from Slovenia as Chair of the Committee of Ministers

Strasbourg, 10.11.2009 – Switzerland is to take over the Chair of the Committee of Ministers from Slovenia during a meeting to be held in Strasbourg on Wednesday 18 November.

sauntersplash

A funny way to go about it? Perhaps. It's a funny sort of democracy, leaving such decisions in the hands of the people and not a bunch of politicians cut off from reality.
Never fear, the people are just as capable of being cut off from reality as politicians are.

I used to be a vehement supporter of Direct Democracy in the Swiss mould. Until I started visiting this site.

marmurr1916

Ahhhh.

The ECHR is administered by the ECtHR and is nothing to do with the EU. The ECHR is administered through national legislation of countries that are members of the Council of Europe (far older than the EU).

Switzerland is a member. Furthermore It wouldn't contravene Article 9 (I assume that's what is being referred to).
I think the proposal would contravene Article 9 (and probably Arts. 10 and 11 too):

Article 9 – Freedom of thought, conscience and religion1
  1. Everyone has the right to freedom of thought, conscience and religion; this right includes freedom to change his religion or belief and freedom, either alone or in community with others and in public or private, to manifest his religion or belief, in worship, teaching, practice and observance.
  2. Freedom to manifest one's religion or beliefs shall be subject only to such limitations as are prescribed by law and are necessary in a democratic society in the interests of public safety, for the protection of public order, health or morals, or for the protection of the rights and freedoms of others.
I can't see any threat to public safety, public order, health or morals from minarets, can you?

Pauli

Never fear, the people are just as capable of being cut off from reality as politicians are.

I used to be a vehement supporter of Direct Democracy in the Swiss mould. Until I started visiting this site.
It seems to work for them. So much so that they can't conceive of any other system operating in Switzerland. Since it is democracy from the bottom up, it goes some way to their utter lack of enthusiasm for the polar opposite of their system, the EU.

YoungLiberal

I think the proposal would contravene Article 9 (and probably Arts. 10 and 11 too):

[/LIST]I can't see any threat to public safety, public order, health or morals from minarets, can you?
There doesn't need to be, the referendum doesn't contravene Article 9(1).

sauntersplash

It seems to work for them. So much so that they can't conceive of any other system operating in Switzerland. Since it is democracy from the bottom up, it goes some way to their utter lack of enthusiasm for the polar opposite of their system, the EU.
I just don't think it could work in Ireland. The politicians here are bad, but remember, they are citizens first, politicians second, and all things considered, they are pretty representative of the calibre and inclinations of the people on this island.

It's the complete, absolute, total absense of Civic Mindedness (for want of a better word) which is the key issue.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies