Swords to lose its Ambulance Service

fiannafailure

Apologies to Lazarus for beginning a similar thread.

I discovered today that Swords is to lose its ambulance service as a first step in a Dublin City Council plan to decimate Dublin Fire Brigade.

I was in hospital having my first 3 month check up following my cancer surgery and as I fell into conversation with a DFB paramedic I was stunned to be told that Swords, one of the fastest growing towns in Ireland is due to lose its DFB ambulance next week in a cost cutting move by the Dublin City Manager, the same man that wants to give millions to Coventa.

This move will affect the entire north of Dublin County as the Swords ambulance covered areas as far north as Balbriggan.

How much more incompetance must we put up with from the higher echolons of public service.

bprob

would it correct to say the ambulance base won't be in swords?
i assume a wall hasn't been built around the place and no ambulances are allowed in?

nonpartyboy

My understanding is that the HSE were actually funding this ambulance, with the cutbacks obviously 3 highly paid "managers" are far more important to the HSE as opposed to a single ambulance probably serving conservatively 60k people, equally less than 1/2 a mile from this same fire station, fingal cc have a monument to waste and inefficiency with an equal no. of highly paid people doing nothing either.

This is what taking the tough decisions is all about, far better to ground an ambulance than tackle the highly paid establishment.

spidermom

Presumably the Swords population go to beamount hosp????
The hospital that NEVER holds up trolleys from ambulances in A+E...correct???

So everything OK so???

SIGH!!

Mighty Medic

Unbelievably This is the actually the case,The Dublin Fire Brigade was told by the HSE that they weren't going to pay for the Dublin Fire Brigade Ambulance Delta 134,because there was sufficient cover.This of course is fiction as Dublin Fire Brigade's Emergency Medical Services responds to 70,000 Emergency ambulance calls a year. That volume of calls is shared between 12 Emergency Ambulances.Swords DFB Ambulance came on line in 2007 and has responded to an average of 4,500 emergency calls a year,when compared to the 10,000 emergency calls per year that the HSE could not answer in Dublin city and county for the same period the results are chilling.The HSE has said the National Ambulance Service can handle the extra case load but there has been reports with in our circles(Im a NON DFB paramedic working on Emergency Ambulances),that the NAS last week mobilised a wicklow Ambulance to a sick child in Balbriggan.That is over a 100 km and I for one am sick of the Negligent health service who rather than try and modernise their Ambulance service into an effective modern Emergency Medical Service,decide to decimate Ireland's ONLY fully integrated EMS. This incredibly is being condoned by the main unions for Fire and Ambulance personnel. The rarest thing of all is if you type in Save swords ambulance into face book,Patients who have been saved by the DFB's vital service have set up a petition to save this service.Even the hardened sceptic in a country teetering on the brink of collapse must be humbled by an actual positive call to save a part of the public service.

firefly123

There is a facebook page with more information about this. Just do a search for SAVE the swords ambulance.
Simply put there are two ambulances based in swords. The Dublin fire brigade one based in the fire station and the HSE one up the road. Currently on paper the HSE ambulance is the first to respond and the DFB one only goes out if HSE one is unavailable. It has been unavailable 5000 times each year since 2006. That does not include the amount of calls the DFB ambulances from kilbarack and Finglas come in. It's not just swords either but the entire north of the county of Dublin which has the fastest growing population in the country.
Your right they won't build a wall around the area but that is scant consolation to the people waiting for the HSE ambulance to come from loughlinstown, although the HSE put a lot of fate in their motorbikes!

spidermom

Unbelievably This is the actually the case,The Dublin Fire Brigade was told by the HSE that they weren't going to pay for the Dublin Fire Brigade Ambulance Delta 134,because there was sufficient cover.This of course is fiction as Dublin Fire Brigade's Emergency Medical Services responds to 70,000 Emergency ambulance calls a year. That volume of calls is shared between 12 Emergency Ambulances.Swords DFB Ambulance came on line in 2007 and has responded to an average of 4,500 emergency calls a year,when compared to the 10,000 emergency calls per year that the HSE could not answer in Dublin city and county for the same period the results are chilling.The HSE has said the National Ambulance Service can handle the extra case load but there has been reports with in our circles(Im a NON DFB paramedic working on Emergency Ambulances),that the NAS last week mobilised a wicklow Ambulance to a sick child in Balbriggan.That is over a 100 km and I for one am sick of the Negligent health service who rather than try and modernise their Ambulance service into an effective modern Emergency Medical Service,decide to decimate Ireland's ONLY fully integrated EMS. This incredibly is being condoned by the main unions for Fire and Ambulance personnel. The rarest thing of all is if you type in Save swords ambulance into face book,Patients who have been saved by the DFB's vital service have set up a petition to save this service.Even the hardened sceptic in a country teetering on the brink of collapse must be humbled by an actual positive call to save a part of the public service.
Great post...but if you look at all the reconfiguration plans that Ma Harney and her minions have devised of late..it is NOT the PATIENT but the PURSE that rules supreme!!.
The childrens hospital, navan, cavan,ennis,nenagh, home-help(now being privatised), D Doc and now the ambulance service.
Unfortunately....you will not find many allies here......but there are some!!!!!

Mighty Medic

i assume a wall hasn't been built around the place and no ambulances are allowed in?
Im in the presence of a either a ignorant self absorbed me feiner or a person who has waited to long for an ambulance and is now Brain Damaged

Firstly the amount of Emergency Ambulances are extremely limited,so swords going has a knock on effect to the entire city and county and as I mentioned Wicklow town was sent to balbriggan already for a sick child.In life threatening emergencies, there is a critical period of time called the golden Hour or in Cardiac Arrests,Heart Attacks and respiratory arrests the platinum minutes.Once breathing stops the Heart and brain have about 3 to 4 minutes to restore oxygenation.So you are correct a wall has been built around the swords area only its one of time.

Last edited:
B

boo-boo

Dfb

The HSE hasn't been paying their bills....the council should send in the debt collectors! That's the only reason why the ambulance is being pulled!

I wonder has James Reilly TD made any representations on the issue yet....isnt he the local TD for the area? Maybe as part of his election campaign he'll undertake to contract ambulance services to DFB and take the HSE services completely out of the equation.

I was talking to one controller and he said this ambulance is a "safety valve" for the whole North Co. area. AFAIK DFB are withdrawing all services....so its going to have wider impact than Swords DFB.

TBH, its only going to be a matter of time before there's a serious incident, or a fatality....then you'll see the sh.t will hit the fan by way of LIABILITY.

fiannafailure

Already a thread ages ago.

DCC is run by who exactly ?
Who cares, lives are at stake here

How dare you sully this thread with logic!!!:shock2:
Idiots both, I had a heart attack in June, if I had had to wait more than 10 minutes for an ambulance I would now be dead.

Hope you never have to suffer for your idiotic attitudes.

No wonder the country is in the state its in with ill informed attitudes like these about.

orbit

Im in the presence of a either a ignorant self absorbed me feiner or a person who has waited to long for an ambulance and is now Brain Damaged.
Actually, he's asking a fair question. Where is the alternative ambulance service coming from if it's not available in Swords?

spidermom

Mighty Medic

This Problem goes deeper than just losing an Ambulance in swords.

There are 12 dedicated DFB ambulances to cover Dublin city and county, This is a picture outside the Mater A/E recently.

Count the DFB Ambulances in this picture,while this IS a regular occurrence,The DFB still manages to respond Paramedics and Advanced Paramedics in Fire Trucks to the most time critical cases and start MEDICAL treatment before an Ambulance comes available .Integrated EMS is the name of the game.

firefly123

There is a bigger picture at play here (isnt there always!). The DFB have been running the ambulance service since 1898. They are now contracted by the HSE to provide 11 emergency ambulances for Dublin. We are the only integrated fire and Ambulance service on these islands. Integrated fire and EMS is the most cost effective and efficient form of emergency cover available. We have the second highest out of hospital cardiac arrest survival in the WORLD thanks to this system. Swords is the first new Dfb ambulance since 1986! The HSE refuse to acknowledge that the system is about to collapse stating that they have 50 ambulances in the "region". The region is the east of Ireland and the vehicles include vans and motorbikes which are not all manned at night time.
The swords ambulance is being used as a bargaining tool between the HSE and Dublin city council.
If we were given 10 more ambulances and the funding for those 10 we could provide total ems cover for the whole of Dublin city and county for a fraction of the HSE cost and beat Denver to the number one spot for a fraction of the cost.
Dr Reilly has been actively involved as have a number of other politicians in the area

fiannafailure

Actually, he's asking a fair question. Where is the alternative ambulance service coming from if it's not available in Swords?
Blanchardstown maybe, or Kilbarrack or Finglas.

But because all firemen are paramedics, this is why they sometimes must send fire engines to medical emergencies.

But if withdrawing the ambulance in Swords is the thin end of the wedge then people are going to die.

B

boo-boo

A while back I dialled 999 for a relative of mine...suspected CVA. After approx 10 minutes I ended up having to telephone ambulance control again as my relative was deteriorating, becoming unconscious and unresponsive etc. I was enquiring how much longer the ambulance was going to take to arrive. I was completely agast to hear that they couldn't tell me how long it be....and that we were 12th on the priority list.

I then started to asking a load of awkward questions. The controller became completely apologetic at this point. He openly told me they only had 12 units (or thereabouts) servicing the whole of the Dublin area, and some of these were regularly out of service parked up in our A&E's. I asked them about dispatching a DFB unit, and they said all those unit's were supposedly in use.

Funny enough, the minute I mentioned the word LIABILITY, this unit from the DFB became immediately available for dispatch!

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies