Sylvia Hermon out of UUP Leadership contest

rockofcashel

Website
www.sinnfein.ie
well thaths them basically fcuked. She was about the only chance they had of swinging back semi-moderate unionist voters.

Can't say I give a damn for them really, but I'll admit that I had a little gra for Lady Hermon.

And her creating turmoil in the Unionist vote would have suited SF to the ground.

What I will say, and don't ever say Shinners lack humanity, is that her decision I believe was mainly based on the care and attention that she would have had to give to her husband, currently suffering from Alzheimers, and that in itself, from the political pool of people who are generally so egotistical its frightening, is noble

green

Website
www.younggreens.ie
Does this leave Burnside as front-runner? :shock:
Paisley Lite...Guaranteed no added tolerance.

DOD

rockofcashel said:
What I will say, and don't ever say Shinners lack humanity, is that her decision I believe was mainly based on the care and attention that she would have had to give to her husband, currently suffering from Alzheimers, and that in itself, from the political pool of people who are generally so egotistical its frightening, is noble
Interestingly, Laurence McKeown's column in Daily Ireland last Friday made reference to how apparently, she poke on RTE radio and commended Gerry Adams and Martin McGuinness for enquiring about her husband's health, which is something the DUP never did. He went on to speak about Republicanism's humanity. This is a point that is often missed, but I don't think it was by Lady Hermon. Perhaps that is part of the reason she doesn't want to go forward. I would say Empey is their only choice now. I'd prefer Nesbit, but that is unlikely to happen.

pluralist

I guess Burnside is the front runner now.

Good news, he will not compromise on his principles and will not capitulate to terrorists.

Catalpa

On a personal level she came across as a very nice Lady but Politics, esp. in the North is played HardBall and I don't think she is that kind of a person.

She probably is politically where is she going to feel most comfortable right now anyway: As a Unionist M.P. representing the Middle Class Unionists of the north County Down Coast.

Maybe if her husband dies she might reconsider, but as leader of the U.U.P. in the future?

Just can't see it - they would eat her alive.

pluralist

Catalpa said:
On a personal level she came across as a very nice Lady but Politics, esp. in the North is played HardBall and I don't think she is that kind of a person.
Agreed. She will have a tough enough time as an MP in the Commons with all those Biblebashers surrounding her, with their braying voices - "Ulster says Nae", "Lundy!", etc, etc.

Risteard

rockofcashel said:
Lady Hermon
You mean Sylvia Hermon, I presume? (That's right, the wife of the reviled former Chief Constable of the RUC.)

pluralist

Risteard said:
rockofcashel said:
Lady Hermon
You mean Sylvia Hermon, I presume? (That's right, the wife of the reviled former Chief Constable of the RUC.)
You're getting pretty boring, do you know that?

joemomma

He went on to speak about Republicanism's humanity. This is a point that is often missed...
Can you think of any particular reason why that might be?

I guess Burnside is the front runner now.
Burnside is a chump who is probably even now regretting that he didn't jump ship with Donaldson. Having lived and worked outside of Northern Ireland for such a long time, I suspect he won't have the base required to secure the leadership.

Being interviewed on BBC after the election count he referred to Westminster as "the Imperial Parliament", which is a hint that he's not quite living in the real world.

DOD

joemomma said:
He went on to speak about Republicanism's humanity. This is a point that is often missed...
The sometimes unbelievable close mindedness of our opponents would be the main reason.

However, I assume you are refering to some of the things the IRA did. Of course that is a valid position, but be under no illusion, the majority of SF bashers object to us for far less noble reasons than they make out.

michaelturley

Website
www.michaelturley.com
Might Donaldson jump ship again to gain leadership of his former party now that his position could be said (by those within unionism, at least) to be vindicated? Lady Hermon can be chief whip.

blue33

michaelturley said:
Might Donaldson jump ship again to gain leadership of his former party now that his position could be said (by those within unionism, at least) to be vindicated? Lady Hermon can be chief whip.
:roll:

edifice.

The only way forward for the UUP is a realignment around a unionism that concedes devolved government in the complete absence of PIRA. Unionism has PIRA politically defeated it now needs its corpse to convince its people that this is indeed the case.

BarryW

DOD said:
joemomma said:
The sometimes unbelievable close mindedness of our opponents would be the main reason.
Closed-mindedness of your opponents? Really?

And here was me thinking that it was the 1,900 odd murders that had brought these "republicans'" humanity into question

DOD

BarryW said:
DOD said:
joemomma said:
Closed-mindedness of your opponents? Really?

And here was me thinking that it was the 1,900 odd murders that had brought these "republicans'" humanity into question
As I said, IRA activities certainly are also a factor, but most of our opponents are just blindly opposed to us ideologically and are just happy they can use past events to claim a moral high ground (but don't dare remind them of their pre-decessors' role in the Spanish Civil War)when their real opposition to republicanism is on principle. People like yourself for example.

blue33

DOD said:
As I said, IRA activities certainly are also a factor, but most of our opponents are just blindly opposed to us ideologically and are just happy they can use past events to claim a moral high ground (but don't dare remind them of their pre-decessors' role in the Spanish Civil War)when their real opposition to republicanism is on principle. People like yourself for example.
Yes, God forbide someone should be ideologically opposed to murder!

And if you want to talk about the Spanish civil war, feel free, we're not ashamed of it!

DOD

blue33 said:
DOD said:
Yes, God forbide someone should be ideologically opposed to murder!

And if you want to talk about the Spanish civil war, feel free, we're not ashamed of it!
Ideologically opposed to Republicanism. I would hope FG would not have anyone who is not ideologically opposed to murder. I know SF wouldn't let in such people to their ranks.

rockofcashel

Website
www.sinnfein.ie
Risteard said:
rockofcashel said:
Lady Hermon
Risteard, while I am a proud Irish Republican, I have no problem in Sylvia Hermon, using the title Lady Hermon. If thats what she wishes to use, so be it, let her cal herself what she likes.

And as for the former Chief of Police being reviled, so be it also. Again I wouldn't not wish the sins of a husband to be visited upon the wife.

A little grown up attitude please Risteard.

New Threads

Most Replies