Sylvia Hermon out of UUP Leadership contest

Swords Hoopster

I looked up Sylvia Hermon on Wiki and almost spat out my coffee when I read this!

"Within the UUP Hermon was regarded as being on the more liberal and social democratic wing of the party along with Ken Maginnis."

Covenanter

Lady Herman's birth place is counted by NISRA to be the second safest/least criminal ward in the North
Because people in Galbally are somewhat reluctant to report crime.

Itsalaugh

The poster made a claim that east Tyrone was some kind of nonsectarian utopia, the facts are totally different.Where is the "whataboutery" in pointing that out?
It seems you wish to emphasise the worst aspects. Yes sectarianism exists but its a two way process. A Dublin Prod I know, his mum is from rural Ulster. He says his Unionist aunt, who he regularly spend 1990s summers with, despised the local Catholics but strangely loved the Southerners. To wind up his Aunt he got to know the local Catholics, dated a girl form the 'other side' and back down in SE Dublin City became a SF supporter.

The stats show that Tyrone is one of the most peaceful locations globally and Kerry or Galway are much more crime/violent saturated than similar locales in the O'Neill County. Isn't Dungannon Rugby Club attracting alot of Nationalists? I don't know anything about the Paisley family experiences in Galbally, whether they received any intimidation like their sheep sprayed Green and Orange. I don't know if friendships were possible but it is totally false to say that non-involved Protestants were deliberately targeted. Also driving around that area Brit army patrols would constantly have leaped out in front of vehicles for searches without time to distinguish between friend or foe. Its highly likely that Protestants received Brit Army and even RUC storm-trooper harassment with these forces constantly on edge as 80%+ of the local Catholic Electorate voted SF in 1989 and a massive number of them were IRA activists. This must have happened to her family constantly mistaken for local 'monsters' so she would have gotten a feeling for the oppression the local population were constantly experiencing. Ken Maginnis at one stage wanted to build a security wall around the district, thus abandoning from your perspective Lady Sylvia's family to the local 'monsters'. Maginnis'es pressure and the refusal of the local population to jettison their unashamed Republicans probably resulted in extra SAS patrolling and the two undercover soldiers being killed in the 1991 gun-battle.

You'll of course repeat about all the TyroneProtestants killed. But everyone knows that at anytime the Tyrone Catholics could have done a Kingsmill x 10 and I'm now certain the majority of Tyrone Protestants must feel guilt what their RUC SB and loyalist cohorts inflicted on the local majority as no different Irish in character, warts and all, as any Corkman or Mayo-head. The local Protestants also know they, just as Donegal Protestants left behind by Craig & Co. in 1921, have nothing to fear from the Indigenous Irish who wish rectify the injustice of Partition.

Tyrone is now 65%+ Nationalist, the local Protestants know that their fate is sealed with the Irish Nation. Is lady Sylvia going to just abandon her family and friends and support re-partition behind the Supremacist firewall in Bangor. Or is she going to be a visionary accepting reality and like my friend's rural Ulster Protestant Aunt realise how much she has in common with the Southerners? And if not her than who's going to admit reality?

Ps, I'm a Dub. My Grandma is from Galbally. She knows the Paisley family and said they were very good neighbours.

physicist

I looked up Sylvia Hermon on Wiki and almost spat out my coffee when I read this!

"Within the UUP Hermon was regarded as being on the more liberal and social democratic wing of the party along with Ken Maginnis."
Billy Hutchinson was once regarded as being too ideologically republican (i.e. anti-monarchist) for the PUP from within that group.

I kid you not.

I'll give Ken and his fellow UUP lords some credit, they probably lean more christian democrat than social democrat but they did stand up for the civil liberties of NASA hacker Gary McKinnon to avoid extradition to the US, (when his drug induced impulsive paranoid cyber-vandalism was going to be treated as cyber-terrorism on par with actual terrorism) and far too many so called social democrats in the Labour party ran away or defended extradition.

Marcella

I could counter that argument by asking despite sectarianism and religious discrimination, (and indeed the class divide) in Scotland, how had the leader of Scottish nationalism managed to get an independence referendum and a majority government without a military campaign, yet Sinn FĂ©ins which still has active political members needing to venerate the IRA, are 25 seats from majority, Irish nationalism even if you do count Anna Lo who didn't need to stand on a nationalist ticket is still 10 out of the 108 seats away, A net gain of one seat at the last election in the North is slow progress.
You could ask that question but hopefully you're already aware of why the north of Ireland was somewhat different to Scotland - gerrymandering, b- specials , special powers act and state murder etc...

Marcella

I know several FG TDs and Senators who call themselves Republicans - just not the shooting, bombing, murdering kind.

And there's the problem you see- SF/IRA have tarnished the term "republican". Thats a fact - so don't whinge when it is sometimes used as a derogotory term.

Mary Lou McDonald seems to think that an ideological opposition to murder was some kind of unheralded new dawn in Irish society.
Remember her "Murder is Wrong" revelation on Q&A a few months back.

I suppose when you claim to draw on that form of Republicanism that has murdered 1,900 people; exalt the murderes as heroes; and go to visit these murderers in prison - maybe it is some kind of revalation...........
Do these TDs and Senators know how they and their state came into being ?

Last edited:
C

Castle Ray

Itsaluagh's post is a laugh. Where do these Nats learn the hyperbole and BS? Bangor being a "supremacist firewall" was the best of the lot. :lol: :lol:

Swords Hoopster

Billy Hutchinson was once regarded as being too ideologically republican (i.e. anti-monarchist) for the PUP from within that group. I kid you not.I'll give Ken and his fellow UUP lords some credit, they probably lean more christian democrat than social democrat but they did stand up for the civil liberties of NASA hacker Gary McKinnon to avoid extradition to the US, (when his drug induced impulsive paranoid cyber-vandalism was going to be treated as cyber-terrorism on par with actual terrorism) and far too many so called social democrats in the Labour party ran away or defended extradition.
When the likes of Ken Maginnis are described as liberal, its time to just throw the towel in!

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies