Sympathy for the "British"

SideysGhost

Why do you think I'd prefer that?

Other than that maybe because I pointed out that most of the rest of the world couldn't give a sh*t about our sensibilities, and just want a functional name for this part of the world.

So I must be a west Brit for pointing that out, I suppose.

Your knickers aren't in a twist by any chance?
And yet after repeated requests, not a single one of you deranged snivelling WestBrit loons can ever give a single real-world real-life example of when a collective term for the two islands is actually needed or indeed in any way practical.

Sometimes large multinationals will lump the two together for marketing purposes as both largely speak English, but even then they have to be aware of the differences after some famous (in the marketing world) blunders decades ago. The local equivalent of that car from Ford or Toyota or someone that was given a name that in Spanish-speaking countries meant "doesn't go". But then if cretins like you had ever actually had a job in the really real world, you would know that already.

Apart from that, in the really real world, nobody gives a damn about your pathetic ideological insistence that the two islands have to be joined together somehow, even if it is only in an obscure geographical term that nobody apart from other poppy-sporting fnckwits like you ever uses.

parentheses

The Holocaust was extremely creepy though. And it happened in relatively modern times rather than when we were all just savages anyway and in an advanced country. It's bound to resonate.
Similar to the Famine.

hollandia

And yet after repeated requests, not a single one of you deranged snivelling WestBrit loons can ever give a single real-world real-life example of when a collective term for the two islands is actually needed or indeed in any way practical.

Sometimes large multinationals will lump the two together for marketing purposes as both largely speak English, but even then they have to be aware of the differences after some famous (in the marketing world) blunders decades ago. The local equivalent of that car from Ford or Toyota or someone that was given a name that in Spanish-speaking countries meant "doesn't go". But then if cretins like you had ever actually had a job in the really real world, you would know that already.

Apart from that, in the really real world, nobody gives a damn about your pathetic ideological insistence that the two islands have to be joined together somehow, even if it is only in an obscure geographical term that nobody apart from other poppy-sporting fnckwits like you ever uses.
Like the Kia Provo you mean?

ETA: I didn't make that up...

http://www.kia.com/eu/future/kia-provo/

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-21678741

Cellachán Chaisil

Ireniall

Similar to the Famine.
No- but the Famine resonates alright. I understand that while the majority of people were appalled by it there were some who thought it deserved and useful. I believe that in lesser famines in Europe at the same time the people were helped by central government with very different results. I consider it part of our dark human history. Around the same time the native Americans were being ethnically cleansed from their homelands and no doubt some of our people were involved in that. It always struck me as weird that the Famine did not seem to spawn a more extreme opposition to British rule here but of course the real victims were all gone. Those who were left were the survivors and perhaps something as horrific as that makes you more afraid than angry. It's hard to imagine that it had nothing to do with the hunger for Home Rule which engulfed the country in the following decades-a kind of slow-burning reaction. Really-though they could have saved the situation by making large concessions around Home Rule, the Famine marked the beginning of the end of British Rule in Ireland.

pippakin

Total BS^^ nobody in Ireland wishes to see this Archipelago renamed after the Emerald Isle exclusively. I think you suffer from paranoid delusions.

However, it is interesting that the term "Irish Sea" is accepted by all but "British" Isles is not. I always liked what is done on both sides of the "English Channel" one side says Channel that other La Manche (the sleeve). Also Channel Islands or Isles de Normandie it really is a pity we share the same language as our nearest neighbour when it comes to this kind of thing.
What is more honest is the only people who object to the term 'British Isles' are a half dozen Irish P.ie clowns with more sock accts than brain cells

pippakin

if Ireland is a sinking bog island it is one with around 7 million people and not 4 million.
I've always thought it odd that the Irish are determined to include the north in everything except finance, when the south pays for the north then they can call it theirs until then Ireland has a population of approx 4 million

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies