• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Syria

blue33

With the assassination of Gebran Tueni, the Lebanese politican at journalist being largely blamed on Syria, we see again that the Syrian oppression of the Lebanon is just ignored.
Former Prime Minster Rafik al Hariri, was also thought to be assassinated by the Syrian government.
Both men had been leading figures in calling for Syrian withdrawl from the Lebanon which they have occupied for 20 years, subverting the democratic process.

The fact is, if it was the Americans and not the Syrians that were at this, this site would have a hundred threads on what b*stards the Americans are. Why the double standard? The Leb is geographically closer to us then Iraq, but if someone sneezes in Baghdad, it makes the news, but the Syrian interference in the Leb is ignored, why?

watch-this-drive

blue33 said:
With the assassination of Gebran Tueni, the Lebanese politican at journalist being largely blamed on Syria, we see again that the Syrian oppression of the Lebanon is just ignored.
Former Prime Minster Rafik al Hariri, was also thought to be assassinated by the Syrian government.
Both men had been leading figures in calling for Syrian withdrawl from the Lebanon which they have occupied for 20 years, subverting the democratic process.

The fact is, if it was the Americans and not the Syrians that were at this, this site would have a hundred threads on what b*stards the Americans are. Why the double standard? The Leb is geographically closer to us then Iraq, but if someone sneezes in Baghdad, it makes the news, but the Syrian interference in the Leb is ignored, why?
I think because the US and the EU are held to a higher standard than the Syrians (or insert tyrannical thug regieme here).
The racist attitude that we cant expect any better 'of them' seems to apply to Syria, China, Africa etc prevails.
Such a view is a cousin of the 'they arent ready for democracy' racist attitude

blue33

watch-this-drive said:
I think because the US and the EU are held to a higher standard than the Syrians (or insert tyrannical thug regieme here).
The racist attitude that we cant expect any better 'of them' seems to apply to Syria, China, Africa etc prevails.
I agree with you on that. There seems to be some kind of neo-colonial, white, liberal guilt thing going on. No white, western politican wants to criticise these regimes because they feel guilty for their own nations role in interferring in these regions in the past. But all this results in is devaluing human life in these countries.

The OD

blue33 said:

I agree with the above - The Syrians are as bad as the US for getting involved in other nations affairs without any of the US saving graces. The Syrians have been stirring it up in the region for quite a while now and it shouldnt be tolerated. I note the usual hypocritical response or lack thereof from many Nations in the region (The man was a Christian).

Telemachus

Website
en.wikipedia.org
I agree with the above - The Syrians are as bad as the US for getting involved in other nations affairs without any of the US saving graces. The Syrians have been stirring it up in the region for quite a while now and it shouldnt be tolerated. I note the usual hypocritical response or lack thereof from many Nations in the region (The man was a Christian).
The Syrian government is finished. The arab league will now impose sanctions on them. Thats them dusted, they have been painted as a target by those who want an unstable ring of Islamic countries around Israel. Iran should be happy, their sect of Islam actively wishes to bring about the end of the world, this will advance that possibility significantly.

The Associated Press: Arab League votes to suspend Syria in 4 days

Catalpa

The Syrian government is finished. The arab league will now impose sanctions on them. Thats them dusted, they have been painted as a target by those who want an unstable ring of Islamic countries around Israel. Iran should be happy, their sect of Islam actively wishes to bring about the end of the world, this will advance that possibility significantly.

The Associated Press: Arab League votes to suspend Syria in 4 days
I would say this is tipping point for Assad

Impossible to say how much longer he can last

- but when its over and done I think this decision will be seen as crucial in his Downfall

L'Chaim

Arab states are offering Assad asylum in their countries if he will only leave Syria. Apparently they have told him this is his last chance to save himself and his family from being killed and dragged through the streets like Gadaffi was. Can't see him or his regime holding out much longer.

IvanTheSevere

Arab states are offering Assad asylum in their countries if he will only leave Syria. Apparently they have told him this is his last chance to save himself and his family from being killed and dragged through the streets like Gadaffi was. Can't see him or his regime holding out much longer.
Not good news for Israel at all that!

L'Chaim

Not good news for Israel at all that!
Oh I wouldn't be so sure about that. Who knows, the next regime might be much more open to peace with Israel and not to be supplying a route for Iranian weapons to get to Hezbollah and not being a state sponsor of terror

Telemachus

Website
en.wikipedia.org
If the war crimes tribunal worldpolice scum announce hes to be tried he may do a gaddafi and end up with his arse stabbed.
lchaim said:
Oh I wouldn't be so sure about that. Who knows, the next regime might be much more open to peace with Israel and not to be supplying a route for Iranian weapons to get to Hezbollah and not being a state sponsor of terror
And maybe they will grant a right of return to the 30,000 jews expelled from Syria :lol::lol::lol:

Analyzer

The Saudis detest the Syrian regime, and the West must be pro-Syrian, for the sake of the oil supply.

Therefore all those who asking for restraint and dialogue in Syria, are a threat to "the recovery".

Thac0man

Twitter
twit taa woo
Civil war seems the likely outcome in Syria. All told we are 40 weeks into the Assad clans crackdown and meaningful or constructive foreign intervention is nowhere in sight. If the Syrians are to win their freedom at all, it seems they will have to do it the hardest way possible.

Thac0man

Twitter
twit taa woo
The Saudis detest the Syrian regime, and the West must be pro-Syrian, for the sake of the oil supply.

Therefore all those who asking for restraint and dialogue in Syria, are a threat to "the recovery".
Energy is no doubt a factor, but only in so far as the 'Arab pipeline' runs from the Red sea via Jordan to Homs in Syria. The planned extension to Turkey is not on line yet and unlikely to be. Upon it possible completion Assad would have much greater power over Turkey. But as of now disruption to the pipeline only stimys the supply to the Damascus regime. It would be very desirable that the Homs - Turkey leg of the pipeline not be completed while the Assad clan holds power.

asset test

Nato was quick enough to go into Libya. But I'm sure there are many humanitarian, political and economic reasons for the lack of response in Syria. :-(

Frank Galton

Still unclear is how the Iran/Syria goons in Lebanon -- Hezbollah -- will react to increased pressure on the Assad regime.

Aristodemus

Correct. People seem to ignore the fact that the Arab states who sponsor terrorism use Israel as a diversion to keep dissent to a minimum. They can always blame the Jews. A genuine democratic Arab State would be more interested in improving the lot of its own people than worry about a few displaced Arabs on the West bank or Gaza, a lot of whose problems are self-inflicted.

Catalpa

Nato was quick enough to go into Libya. But I'm sure there are many humanitarian, political and economic reasons for the lack of response in Syria. :-(
Because when it really blows it will by a cross between Lebanon and Iraq in the bad old days...:?

TBH its a dead cert that outside powers are going to intervene

- either directly or by proxy

- before the dust settles on this one

Garza

Still unclear is how the Iran/Syria goons in Lebanon -- Hezbollah -- will react to increased pressure on the Assad regime.
Not good I imagine. Iran has been quiet since the Arab League ultimatum - which is interesting. Iran needs Syria as a springborad to distribute weapons to Hamas and Hezbollah. If Assad falls which seems more likely by the day, Iran is totally isolated. Russia might throw their weight behind the Iranian theocracy as every horse the Russian's have backed in the ME are gone or almost gone. But the Iranian regime is on the ropes as it is, internal strife and a population who is simmering underneath - the Green Revolution of 2009 is still alive and well.

This is a fascinating time right now, where the politics and history of the Arab world is being uprooted so suddenly and swiftly. This time last year no-one thought that 3 regimes will be toppled and 2 more fighting for their lives. New players have emerged, Turkey finally turns eastward rather than West, little Quatar is knocking out heavyweights with their massive influence, Saudis don't know where to turn and are trying to put out fires everywhere, Iran simply doesn't know what to do.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies