• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

System to raise your IQ by 20 points:

Orbit v2

There was an interesting piece on the radio this morning, where an NUIM psychologist was talking about a brain training technique he and others have developed which claims to raise children's IQ by around 20 points. It sounded very impressive, though I became a small bit sceptical, when I learnt that it is a commercial venture. Having said that, what he was saying sounded very plausible to me, and I'm sure the experiments that were done are genuine (though with only 12 children, which seems a limited test).

I suspect there is a serious risk of hype with something like this - given the commercial angle. It's supported/funded by Enterprise Ireland and it sounded like the guy is up for promoting it aggressively. But, it looks like something that could be trialed in schools here. What do other pie.sters think?

Link: Raise Your IQ

This is what they are claiming

Last edited:

B

Boggle

Excellent. Utilising this fantastic system may finally get my IQ up to 19!
Rejoice!!

Ulster-Lad

Can we get this to the Dáil ASAP?

Then utilise it like shampoo. Rinse, lather, repeat........ Rinse, lather, repeat

Mountaintop

Cool....I'd be able to restore my IQ to the level it was at, before I saw that episode of 'Made in Chelsea'...

ManInTheArena

Marvellous. Only problem is, high IQ on it's own is nigh-on meaningless. A lot of people are under the impression that high IQ = success, not true. I used to be a member of Mensa, and one of their meetings is proof positive that high IQ is not a guarantee of anything. Drive, ambition, an ability to get along with others and work in a team, and good old-fashioned work ethic are far more important.

sauntersplash

There was an interesting piece on the radio this morning, where an NUIM psychologist was talking about a brain training technique he and others have developed which claims to raise children's IQ by around 20 points. It sounded very impressive, though I became a small bit sceptical, when I learnt that it is a commercial venture. Having said that, what he was saying sounded very plausible to me, and I'm sure the experiments that were done are genuine (though with only 12 children, which seems a limited test).

I suspect there is a serious risk of hype with something like this - given the commercial angle. It's supported/funded by Enterprise Ireland and it sounded like the guy is up for promoting it aggressively. But, it looks like something that could be trialed in schools here. What do other pie.sters think?

Link: Raise Your IQ

This is what they are claiming

Well, practicing IQ tests raises your IQ, don't see how it's relevant to anything but getting better at IQ tests though.

Orbit v2

Sound like they might need to rethink their marketing strategy then :)

and maybe, I'm doing them a disservice calling it brain-training as well.

I'd take the point that 'raising IQ' isn't a useful aim in itself, but what they are claiming is that the technique improves relational skills, which are really fundamental towards learning. Rasing IQ is really a side-effect of that.

NewGoldDream

Website
-
Meh. Got a "grow your penis" email yesterday.

Sounds like this is another venture preying on some people's insecurity.

sauntersplash

Good to see Irelnad's second tier universities are fulfilling their remit of low-brow, self-help snake-oil, tabloid headline horse$hit. Cha-ching.

Radix

Meh. Got a "grow your penis" email yesterday.

Sounds like this is another venture preying on some people's insecurity.

Tell Dr. Radix about your insecurity.

Trying to hold back the giggles....

Failing miserably.

;)

Mr. Bumble

Good to see Irelnad's second tier universities are fulfilling their remit of low-brow, self-help snake-oil, tabloid headline horse$hit. Cha-ching.
Miaoow!

NewGoldDream

Website
-
Tell Dr. Radix about your insecurity.

Trying to hold back the giggles....

Failing miserably.

;)
Yeah. Hate a lot of that self help crap. It's taking some perceived issue that the advertiser tells you really needs to be addressed - weight is another great one, perhaps the biggest industry of all of them - and selling you some product or service that is claimed will right that "wrong".

D

Dylan2010

there is a role for "thinking how to think" and to develop a range of anaytical tool to bring to bear on a problem. Most of their results might have been down to just taking an interst in particular kids and getting them motivated though. I dont see any holy grail here

sauntersplash

Yeah. Hate a lot of that self help crap. It's taking some perceived issue that the advertiser tells you really needs to be addressed - weight is another great one, perhaps the biggest industry of all of them - and selling you some product or service that is claimed will right that "wrong".
Hmm, aren't those ads "personalised" based on cookies from your browsing history?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies