Tabloids highlight sexuality of gay father who murdered child.

Wascurito

The 18 years that Matthew Scully-Hicks received for brutalizing and murdering Elsie, his adoptive 18 month old daughter isn't long enough. He's 31 years old and will presumably be in his mid to late forties when he gets out, free to live the rest of his life. The hope of many people would be that he gets despatched from this mortal coil while in prison and heads straight to the darkest pit of hell where he belongs. Social workers have much to answer for too.

Elsie Scully-Hicks is one of some 30 children killed by their parents or guardians every year in the UK. I've checked the Daily Star, Daily Mail and Daily Express and see no references to "straight" or "heterosexual" parents being responsible. Yet, in this particular instance, when the murderer is gay, the newspapers highlight and headline this fact repeatedly; for example, here, here, here, here, here, and here. And here, here, here, here, and here.

Is the sexuality of a child murderer relevant? And, if so, why don't they put such an effort into highlighting it when the murder is committed by a heterosexual?

eoghanacht

I think you already know the answer to your own question.

Homophobia.

Analyzer

Is hiding information about participants in news events, and refusing to tell people an objective that you require in media reporting ?

Do we want to have Irish Independent style reporting, where half the story is routinely left out ?

Let the people decide, if it is a relevant fact.

Calling for censorship is ridiculous. It infers that the public are to be treated like children, and not trusted to evaluate for themselves.

GDPR

The 18 years that Matthew Scully-Hicks received for brutalizing and murdering Elsie, his adoptive 18 month old daughter isn't long enough. He's 31 years old and will presumably be in his mid to late forties when he gets out, free to live the rest of his life. The hope of many people would be that he gets despatched from this mortal coil while in prison and heads straight to the darkest pit of hell where he belongs. Social workers have much to answer for too.

Elsie Scully-Hicks is one of some 30 children killed by their parents or guardians every year in the UK. I've checked the Daily Star, Daily Mail and Daily Express and see no references to "straight" or "heterosexual" parents being responsible. Yet, in this particular instance, when the murderer is gay, the newspapers highlight and headline this fact repeatedly; for example, here, here, here, here, here, and here. And here, here, here, here, and here.

Is the sexuality of a child murderer relevant? And, if so, why don't they put such an effort into highlighting it when the murder is committed by a heterosexual?
Probably because 90/95% of us are heterosexual, so it's not "news".

Wascurito

Is hiding information about participants in news events, and refusing to tell people an objective that you require in media reporting.

Do we want to have Irish Independent style reporting, where half the story is routinely left out ?

Calling for censorship is ridiculous.
What should be included and what should be left out?
Male
White
Irish
Heterosexual
Chartered account
1.8m tall
85 kg in weight
Size 34 waist
Atheist
Brown-haired
35 years old
Clean-shaven
etc......

Yes....let's have HUGE headlines, Anything else is ridiculous. :roll:

Catalpast

Its horrible what happened

- looks like he was totally unprepared what Fatherhood means

- was he with a partner or on his own?

While I don't agree with Gay single men adopting kids I think this was a case of a man 'losing it' in a situation in which he was in way over his head

I think anyone who has never been a parent and wants to adopt a child should be made do a parenting course 1st

Did he show remorse at all?

parentheses

Seems this unfortunate child was forcibly taken from his natural parents.

livingstone

Is hiding information about participants in news events, and refusing to tell people an objective that you require in media reporting ?

Calling for censorship is ridiculous. It infers that the public are to be treated like children, and not trusted to evaluate for themselves.
In what way is his sexuality a relevant fact?

Wascurito

While I don't agree with Gay single men adopting kids I think this was a case of a man 'losing it' in a situation in which he was in way over his head

I think anyone who has never been a parent and wants to adopt a child should be made do a parenting course 1st

Apparently not....a truly horrible individual.

parentheses

Reading the news reports it seems apparent that gay fellow had no "maternal" instinct at all.

Which is not surprising considering he is not a woman.

Wascurito

You're missing the point just a bit there.
Probably because 90/95% of us are heterosexual, so it's not "news".
It's funny that. So much of the time, when gayness comes up as an issue here, the reaction of the usual suspects is "OMG, no-one gives a damn. Who cares? Stop going on about it. *roll eyes*"

Yet, being gay is news in this case.....hmmmm.

You wouldn't be one of those, would you, Tonic?

gijoe

In the UK the 18 years is a minimum tariff. It's a life sentence subject to a minimum 18 behind bars by order of the Judge.

Dame_Enda

I don't think his sexuality is relevant.

ellie08

He was married to his partner - though being married hardly stops people from being murderers.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies