Taboo/Controversial social issues that Gov could legislate for

Bertie's Hat

We now have divorce, same sex marriage and abortion in Ireland, all of which were/are controversial social issues. It feels like a number of taboos that caused consternation for years have recently been brought into law.

Euthanasia seems like one of the last controversial social issues that still carries a criminal penalty in Ireland. Cannabis is still criminalised too.

What other "taboos" are there for which the government could legislate to liberalise? How likely are any of these issues to be tackled by a FG government do you think?

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

Dame_Enda

I think adult prostitution and their clients should be legalised along the New Zealand model, which allows sex workers to sue abusive pimps. The Irish Times recently reported that attacks on sex workers in Ireland have skyrocketed since the passage of the Swedish model, which criminalises sex workers if they work in groups or indoors. Now because of this law, they work alone to avoid criminalisation, but that makes it harder to defend themselves from dangerous clients. This is not what Ruhama promised - they said it would only criminalise the buyer - Thejournal.ie did a factcheck on the claim that it did so and said it was false.

This is another example of it being "no country for women". They continue to be denied bodily autonomy including by hardline feminist disciples of the late Andrea Dworkin with her rightwing slant on feminism.

Goa Tse

Shorten the divorce waiting time.

The 4 year wait was a sop to the bead rattlers of the day.

Should be 6 months/a year instead of the proposed two IMHO.

Goa Tse

I think adult prostitution and their clients should be legalised along the New Zealand model, which allows sex workers to sue abusive pimps. The Irish Times recently reported that attacks on sex workers in Ireland have skyrocketed since the passage of the Swedish model, which criminalises sex workers if they work in groups or indoors. Now because of this law, they work alone to avoid criminalisation, but that makes it harder to defend themselves from dangerous clients. This is not what Ruhama promised - they said it would only criminalise the buyer - Thejournal.ie did a factcheck on the claim that it did so and said it was false.

This is another example of it being "no country for women".
https://www.irishtimes.com/news/laundry-orders-run-sex-workers-aid-group-1.606313

Bertie's Hat

I think adult prostitution and their clients should be legalised along the New Zealand model, which allows sex workers to sue abusive pimps. The Irish Times recently reported that attacks on sex workers in Ireland have skyrocketed since the passage of the Swedish model, which criminalises sex workers if they work in groups or indoors. Now because of this law, they work alone to avoid criminalising, but that makes it harder to defend themselves from dangerous clients.
I agree that it should be legalised in some form. It's been around since the dawn of time and features in a large proportion of the male populations lives at some point - I don't have a moral objection to consenting adults partaking in a "transaction", provided the prostitute is not trafficked/coerced

Dame_Enda

I agree that it should be legalised in some form. It's been around since the dawn of time and features in a large proportion of the male populations lives at some point - I don't have a moral objection to consenting adults partaking in a "transaction", provided the prostitute is not trafficked/coerced

Its a remnant of RCC mindset in our rulers, with their Patrician concepts of "morality" but dressed up in progressive "feminist" language despite taking away womens bodily autonomy.

Goa Tse

Thank you for the link, I feel angry after reading that. As usual the religious orders play the poverty trick

They are a cower of shunts.

Dame_Enda

Recreational drug use should be decriminalised and treated as a medical problem. Dealers of heroin and ecstasy should still be criminalised though.

Betson

Prostitution should be legalized.

Cannabis should be legalized.

Euthanasia should be legalized.

PBP voter

Make Irish optional in the state schools.

So the poor dont have to learn it.

As it is the rich can opt out.

Gin Soaked

Make Irish optional in the state schools.

So the poor dont have to learn it.

As it is the rich can opt out.
Why does being poor matter ? Accept it has minimal commercial value.

Removing it may mean more time on tackling illiteracy in disadvantaged and marginalised kids (where the parents can't or won't bother to help with homework), rather than just general "poor" kids.

Gin Soaked

Shorten the divorce waiting time.

The 4 year wait was a sop to the bead rattlers of the day.

Should be 6 months/a year instead of the proposed two IMHO.
I don't agree. Separation should be as quick as needed if you are in an abusive marriage, but you should not rush into any marriage, so a few years to go at it again is prudent.

Possibly truncate it in cases of "he's just come out as gay/straight" etc.... or if there is a conviction for serious assault / or other crime.....

D

Deleted member 34656

There’s lots of easy ones. Eg.

Get rid of Disability Benefit, Unemployment Benefit, One-parent Family Benefit, Family Income Supplement, Old Age Pension, Affordable Housing, etc.

All are discriminatory against the recipient and cost a fortune to administer.

GDPR

Removing it may mean more time on tackling illiteracy in disadvantaged and marginalised kids (where the parents can't or won't bother to help with homework), rather than just general "poor" kids.
If Irish language education means children are literate and numerate, there is no problem. It does not though. I am tired of hearing how exposure to Irish means Irish people can acquire other languages easily. They dont. They are still hugely monoglots. Dependent on other English-speaking countries, brainwashed by anything in English.

PBP voter

Rich people can sent their kids to totally private schools ie school that accept no state funding.

Irish inst compulsory in the state.

It's only compulsory in state funded schools.

It's not fair that the rich can opt out.

That's the point I was trying to make.

Bea C

It's the most radical suggestion of all, and none of them are ever gonna touch it, but one-off housing is a real taboo.

Expose the lot of them

Rich people can sent their kids to totally private schools ie school that accept no state funding.

Irish inst compulsory in the state.

It's only compulsory in state funded schools.

It's not fair that the rich can opt out.

That's the point I was trying to make.
Are you sure? Could you please provide a credible link to support that claim? My niece and nephew both attended fee paying schools and both had to learn Irish and complete the exam at junior and leaving cert.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies