Tactical voting & Unionism

McSlaggart

"In voting methods, tactical voting (or strategic voting or sophisticated voting or insincere voting) occurs, in elections with more than two candidates, when a voter supports another candidate more strongly than their sincere preference in order to prevent an undesirable outcome.["

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tactical_voting

With Unionism looking to put in an agreed candidate they already was conceding that they were not going to win a seat at this by election. What has surprised me is how the vote for the sdlp did not greatly increase as I was expecting that unionists would put their support to the candidate who had the best chance of winning the seat from SF.

If Unionism truly hates sf why do they run candidates in seats that they know by doing so will only ensure that SF get elected?

death or glory

"In voting methods, tactical voting (or strategic voting or sophisticated voting or insincere voting) occurs, in elections with more than two candidates, when a voter supports another candidate more strongly than their sincere preference in order to prevent an undesirable outcome.["

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tactical_voting

With Unionism looking to put in an agreed candidate they already was conceding that they were not going to win a seat at this by election. What has surprised me is how the vote for the sdlp did not greatly increase as I was expecting that unionists would put their support to the candidate who had the best chance of winning the seat from SF.

If Unionism truly hates sf why do they run candidates in seats that they know by doing so will only ensure that SF get elected?
Wey hey,
at last an OP by McSlaggart that's not about the border...

When we run a unity candidate like Fermanagh South Tyrone you'se say it's sectarian politics, now that's what you want us to do.

Why did the SDLP not agree to Kevin Skelton (a Roman Catholic) running as a unity candidate in opposition to SF in West Tyrone?

Levellers

Funny enough Skelton says only the Alliance party responded. The UUP, DUP and SDLP never responded. He didn't write to SF.

McSlaggart

When we run a unity candidate like Fermanagh South Tyrone you'se say it's sectarian politics, now that's what you want us to do.
Unionist unity candidate ? That works when you have the votes to win a seat. Those days are gone in places like west Tyrone.

death or glory

Funny enough Skelton says only the Alliance party responded. The UUP, DUP and SDLP never responded. He didn't write to SF.
Funny enough that's not what he says
"I sent four letters out," he told the Belfast Telegraph.

"I sent them to Naomi Long, Colum Eastwood, Arlene Foster and Robin Swann.

"The Alliance Party responded to me, saying that they weren't going to step aside and let me run.

"The Ulster Unionists also responded; they seemed favourable to the notion.

"The SDLP and the DUP didn't even have the manners to respond to my correspondence on the matter. I got absolutely nothing from them.
https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/politics/west-tyrone-by-election-2018/omagh-bombing-widower-lambasts-parties-for-west-tyrone-byelection-snub-36775860.html

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies