Tactics for Peaceful Protest

Outlander

There is general agreement that the Government should resign - how help encourage them to do this this peacefully?

Boo hiss jeer harangue and barrack them whenever they appear in public.

Organised electronic denial of service - take away the feel-good factor that their phones and emails give them:

• It would take no more than a couple of hundred people in the vicinity of Leinster House using their mobile phones simultaneously to block most users out of the network - just keep calling and getting network full messages.
  • A phone-in complaints session (specific time) to any publicly known oireachtas and ministerial phone numbers - capacity would quickly be exceeded, and all lines would jam.
  • Save up your e-mails of complaint for a specific hour and organise a simultaneous complaint-a-thon - servers would slow to a crawl.
Just a few simple ideas...

Further suggestions welcome.

Mondo

Contact the politicians you do want to see in power and insist they do something and do it now.

Even with a working majority if FG & LAB unite in non cooperation the game will be up within hours.

ctr

There is nothing, I repeat NOTHING, that would shift this Fianna Green party from office.

Easy-Irish

Organize a full blockade of the Dail, letting nobody in or out, until the government steps down and those complicit in this robbery are turned in to the Gardai.

Organize a parallel blockade/occupation of Dublin airport until the same end is achieved.

Take a leaf from the books of the Thai and Icelandic protesters.

In order for this to work, fund raising needs to take place.

Among the resources necessary will be food/water for protesters, porta-loos, legal representation, gas masks & first aid volunteers.

The blockades could coincide with an all-out national strike.

We need to bring the country to a grinding halt and make governance by the current shower impossible.

It is time to get up off our knees and reclaim our sovereignty.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UduuOHdOw5M"]YouTube - Massive demonstration outside parliament in Iceland october 4th 2010[/ame]

Last edited:
B

birthday

boycott FF businesses

I have already implemented this. In addition shun them on the street, roadside etc
This should get the message.
It is important not to have anything to do with the ICTU march on 27th.
ICTU collaborated with FF all the way and have a significant responsibility for the situation that we are in.
Remember also where Bertie was when he made his suicide remarks and remember the applause he received.

RightCentreLeft

Organize a full blockade of the Dail, letting nobody in or out, until the government steps down and those complicit in this robbery are turned in to the Gardai.

Organize a parallel blockade/occupation of Dublin airport until the same end is achieved.

Take a leaf from the books of the Thai and Icelandic protesters.

In order for this to work, fund raising needs to take place.

Among the resources necessary will be food/water for protesters, porta-loos, legal representation, gas masks & first aid volunteers.

The blockades could coincide with an all-out national strike.

We need to bring the country to a grinding halt and make governance by the current shower impossible.

It is time to get up off our knees and reclaim our sovereignty.
here here.

Easy-Irish

Good idea but they could easily land a helicopter on the back lawn. They also seem to have foreseen such a protest and back in August of this year the go ahead was announced for an underground tunnel linking Leinster House with the Department of Agriculture.

New €1m tunnel links Leinster House to office space - National News, Frontpage - Independent.ie
A secondary blockade on the department of agriculture, then.

This needs to be a sustained action. What I would sugest is that all sides unite to achieve a single aim, the removal of the Fianna Fail government.

I know colour revolutions are a little bit trendy, but how about donning the green shirt?

We need dedicated participants who are in for the long haul, to know they have the support of the people. We may need people to offer floor space in Dublin and to bring food to those manning the blockade.

This process could take several weeks.

Mar Tweedy

You can't blockade the Dail. Gardai are well within their rights to remove the blockade, in fact, they must remove it.

You can still protest around the Dail. Who is going first?

I like the timed complaints one and the wearing of the green idea.

The visual message of wearing green could be very strong. It's not my colour though :eek:(I'm sort of joking ;))

The icelandic people banged bin lids outside their parliament (not a blockade of it). Do we have what it takes?

idle tim

There is general agreement that the Government should resign - how help encourage them to do this this peacefully?

Boo hiss jeer harangue and barrack them whenever they appear in public.

Organised electronic denial of service - take away the feel-good factor that their phones and emails give them:

• It would take no more than a couple of hundred people in the vicinity of Leinster House using their mobile phones simultaneously to block most users out of the network - just keep calling and getting network full messages.
  • A phone-in complaints session (specific time) to any publicly known oireachtas and ministerial phone numbers - capacity would quickly be exceeded, and all lines would jam.
  • Save up your e-mails of complaint for a specific hour and organise a simultaneous complaint-a-thon - servers would slow to a crawl.
Just a few simple ideas...

Further suggestions welcome.
I dont know if you are familiar with the TV3 Midday programme (a magazine programme panelled by women and i presume aimed at a mainly womens audience) but a couple of weeks back their was a discussion about the violence which followed the day of Protest by the SUI.One of the panelists happened to be the former Justice Minister Norah Owen(Grandniece of Michael Collins),and after condemning the violence she went on to say that the form of protest she found most unsettling(when used against her at a garda conference)was the "Silent Treatment",now wouldnt that suit the political class's just fine,"right everybody dont open your mouth and we will have them all rattled,they wont know where to turn".Priceless and even funnier was the fact that the others on the panel were very impressed with her.Sorry Outlander but the days of making people feel uncomfortable are well gone,it will take far more than pious protest to change a system so endemic with crony crookery it would take the most brilliant of Criminal Investigators years to unravel the dirty dealings which passed for Great Entrepreneurship over the past 10 years.

Decadance

A coordinated withdrawal of cash from banks and financial institutions with the simple caveat that monies wll be redeposited once FF resign from Government.

vanla sighs

A coordinated withdrawal of cash from banks and financial institutions with the simple caveat that monies wll be redeposited once FF resign from Government.
:) Good idea.

Could always not redeposit ya know..........the system is rotten to the core.

Last edited:

Holy Cow

Fianna Fail gone underground?
No, on Thursday night ( the day the IMF arrived), I was in the Horseshoe bar in the Shelbourne. A minister was in there knocking back the wine, and even cracked a joke about being able to get another round of drinks when the IMF were 500 yards down the road. Being shocked at this, my friend and I went to the minister to question him about this remarks. He did not care. We told him he was a traitor and asked him was he proud to be in FF. We asked him 3 times, and he did not reply.

These lads dont give a hoot.

Holy Cow

While that makes us feel better, our retail deposits are really a drop in the ocean. Its company deposits that need to be moved, cos thats the real hit.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Uop5R7E314]YouTube - ERIC CANTONA "KILL THE BANKS" (A MUST SEE)![/ame]

Poll Topper

No, on Thursday night ( the day the IMF arrived), I was in the Horseshoe bar in the Shelbourne. A minister was in there knocking back the wine, and even cracked a joke about being able to get another round of drinks when the IMF were 500 yards down the road. Being shocked at this, my friend and I went to the minister to question him about this remarks. He did not care. We told him he was a traitor and asked him was he proud to be in FF. We asked him 3 times, and he did not reply.

These lads dont give a hoot.
Who was the Minister?

Holy Cow

Who was the Minister?
I have asked the site owner if I can post a photo of him, but he has not replied to me.

There are witnesses to what happened, as the bar staff had to come over and stop the discussion.

Ignoreland

If there is a protest, the lads who sell the flags and headbands for Croke park games should make and sell ones of green white and orange. Get our own colour revolution going as was suggested in other threads on this site.... also if all the protestors bought them, it could stimulate the economy!

New Threads

Most Replies