Tactics for Peaceful Protest

myhonorisloyalty666

You are probably correct. The majority of people know this. However, the majority of people are also sensible enough to know that the current regime should be turfed out now. The longer they cling to power, the greater the likelihood of the normally passive Irish people being pushed to a tipping point, in a manner we have not witnessed in generations.
A tipping point to what?:confused:
You mean war do you?
Violence and civil strife would lead to our complete international isolation.
We are massively indebted, we have no way of paying the money back and therefore the IMF has taken over to get back the money of the lenders by hook or by crook.
We have no choice.
It's over.
Forget about it.
Turfing out FF makes no difference whatsoever.

europeasone

You mean war do you?
We are massively indebted, we have no way of paying the money back and therefore the IMF has taken over to get back the money of the lenders by hook or by crook.
We have no choice.
It's over.
Forget about it.
Its a passive, naive mentality like yours which has allowed FF to bring us to where we now are. Nobody wants violence or war but maybe its our only option now. Its not as if we can vote them out now, is it?

If civil war does happen, we know what side you will be fighting for...

eoghanacht

You mean war do you?
We have no choice.
It's over.
Forget about it.
We are all grown ups We know what medicine we have to take, this is a protest against FF not the austerity measures.

sport02

What we need is a co-ordinated march, were everybody agrees for it to be peaceful, no taking over finance or other departments.
Make it really noisy and peaceful.
Do what the Icelanders did, surround the parliament, bring you pots,pans and whistles, make noise in a sit down protest,and everyone refuse to move, until FF say they will move from goverment.
If it takes 6 hours, 12 hours or more so be it.

Easy-Irish

What we need is a co-ordinated march, were everybody agrees for it to be peaceful, no taking over finance or other departments.
Make it really noisy and peaceful.
Do what the Icelanders did, surround the parliament, bring you pots,pans and whistles, make noise in a sit down protest,and everyone refuse to move, until FF say they will move from goverment.
If it takes 6 hours, 12 hours or more so be it.
It will most likely take days

bazlad

I suggest getting a copy of a ballot paper and posting a copy to every FF/green td on the date of the Donegal by election marked simply with the word GO.

sking81

Lets have this planned March on December 7th to the Dail (or one before if deemed necessary), and if they still refuse a GE, see how it goes from there.

I would say the simplest approach would be one of civil disobidence. By that I mean people refusing to pay their taxes (where possible) rent, mortgage, and bills, refusing to buy non-essential goods (i.e. nothing besides food), and if possible, call a general strike.

Should the government still persist, I would call for a threat to start a run on one of the banks. AIB is the most vunerable, and the most deserving, its been a pillar of state corruption since its foundation. If the government refuses to give us an election, we can call for all Irish depositers to remove their funds from AIB on a given date. The IMF\EU, and indeed, the government, would be forced to act-they are after all, here to save our banks.

The banks are pretty much the peoples only bargining chip-by and large, we still have control over them by our deposits. The only thing the IMF and ECB have to really fear from us is one of our banks collapsing. They dont fear riots, civil unrest etc-why would they? Their international bankers themselves, all they fear is contagion of their system!

Any goverment could only survive for a week or two at most under that type of pressure, especially with the threat of a planned bank run. The business community would turn on them and lynch them for us themselves.

myhonorisloyalty666

Lets have this planned March on December 7th to the Dail (or one before if deemed necessary), and if they still refuse a GE, see how it goes from there.

I would say the simplest approach would be one of civil disobidence. By that I mean people refusing to pay their taxes (where possible) rent, mortgage, and bills, refusing to buy non-essential goods (i.e. nothing besides food), and if possible, call a general strike.

Should the government still persist, I would call for a threat to start a run on one of the banks. AIB is the most vunerable, and the most deserving, its been a pillar of state corruption since its foundation. If the government refuses to give us an election, we can call for all Irish depositers to remove their funds from AIB on a given date. The IMF\EU, and indeed, the government, would be forced to act-they are after all, here to save our banks.

The banks are pretty much the peoples only bargining chip-by and large, we still have control over them by our deposits. The only thing the IMF and ECB have to really fear from us is one of our banks collapsing. They dont fear riots, civil unrest etc-why would they? Their international bankers themselves, all they fear is contagion of their system!

Any goverment could only survive for a week or two at most under that type of pressure, especially with the threat of a planned bank run. The business community would turn on them and lynch them for us themselves.
Go back to bed and have a lie down:roll:

sking81

Go back to bed and have a lie down:roll:
Cant sleep with the noise of the IMF knocking at the door :)

You seem to be fairly set keeping our current lot in charge, care to reveal which political party your affiliated to? I can hazard a guess...

Having an election will serve at least one purpose-it will show the Fianna Fail party that the people are no longer willing reward them for their repeated failure in government.

Superindigoman

Why only peaceful protests, this government will not take them seriously, they will pay no heed to them, we have to show them we are real serious this time, its the only way to get through to FF now

Mister men

You can't blockade the Dail. Gardai are well within their rights to remove the blockade, in fact, they must remove it.

You can still protest around the Dail. Who is going first?

I like the timed complaints one and the wearing of the green idea.

The visual message of wearing green could be very strong. It's not my colour though :eek:(I'm sort of joking ;))

The icelandic people banged bin lids outside their parliament (not a blockade of it). Do we have what it takes?
No we don't. We are far to laid back and lazy a race of people.

trekkypj

Why only peaceful protests, this government will not take them seriously, they will pay no heed to them, we have to show them we are real serious this time, its the only way to get through to FF now
Nobody takes FF seriously now.

Secondly, be very careful before you start advocating violent protest. We are not about damaging people's property, even that of the State. We want the government to resign, and elections to be held, nothing more.

We surely don't want a scene akin to that at the student protest a few weeks back?

Iceland didn't turn to violence as far as I know, nor should we.

As for tactics, I suggest we sing. Sing songs which show the world who we are and what we stand for. Starting with a loud rendition of Amhrán na bhFiann (Croke Park-style) with a mighty roar at the end that they will hear even in the chambers of the Oireachtas.

Make noise, draw attention from world media. Above all else, don't stop until they resign. Keep the vigil going one way or another until Cowen and Co. do the decent thing and quit.

Cirio

Does anyone remember how an airborne pair of shoes made George W. Bush look like a village idiot?

Ridicule is a powerful weapon, and (unfortunately for its target) highly telegenic. I made the following suggestion in another thread, something like, oh, two years ago. Still relevant, unfortunately.

Guerrilla shoefare: the random throwing over the Dáil railings of all yer aul' shoes. Most people have some that are fit for the bin. Works effectively as a random drive-by shoe-ing. Lots of photo-ops of highly-trained gardaí plucking unsightly trainers off the hallowed tarmac.

Works in a march/rally situation too (though, like many people, I'm frequently loath to join one for fear of ending up with a bunch of soap-dodging, raggle-taggle, kill-the-rich, class-war, where's my bailout, you-name-it-we're-against-it pinheads. How about a rally without banners/fridge-magnet slogans/Eirigi lunatics, but just a load of people passing their discards to the brave guerrillas in the front lines, and a load of aul' shoes raining down on the Forum/carpark of the Greats?

Ridicule. Cheap and (frequently) effective. Ask George W. Bush.

an innocent abroad

just let your placards read. " I'M NOT WITH THE CORRUPT PARTNERSHIPS" "Name the unions!" or no affiliation to the traitor's! I bet the unions are regretting this allready and all their quango friends!

Berty

Because it might rise the temperature and cause a demo??? RTE is too connected with govt. Did any of the others report it?

sport02

Because it might rise the temperature and cause a demo??? RTE is too connected with govt. Did any of the others report it?
The Guardian did, good old British media.
Where would we be without them.

Gael Nua

Mentioned it on another thread and another person mentioned the colour here, but what about flying black flags, blankets etc from windows, cars etc, to represent the death of the republic and to declare a call for a GE. Reckon it wouldn't take too many people to start doing it before it would even take off. In fact the way some people deck their houses for World Cups etc you'd probably find houses trying to out do each other.

It would be very visual, in their faces wherever they went, it would get International coverage it would give the lazy an easy way to get show their support and it would give the meek a huge idea of the local support, which in turn may lead to stronger local protests.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies