Tactics for Peaceful Protest

Inda Kenny

No black flags too much like the H block issue for those of us old enough to remember it.
Made the suggestion last night that very house car etc should fly the tricolour and keep flying it until FF/Greens stand down but lets be honest FF do not do resignations

In relation to a general strike not going to happpen we are too lazy and laid back at the same time. Half the country would go on strike on the wrong day.

Those under 30 are the facebook me generation so if its not OMG speak then its not going to happen from them.
Any protest needs to be the ordinary people of Ireland no unions etc as they helped contribute to the mess also
Your local FF TD normally has clinics at the weekend if enough people go along and the message from everyone should be the same when is this government going to resign.
However theres no point in replacing one bunch of gombeens with another who will continue with the mercs and perks

We really are crying out for a statesman at present

PUFF DADDY

I think the 7th December is D DAY, I mean budget day is the day to do it, I've booked the day off and know others that are taking the day off and those I know unemployed are going in, I am going in for the day and feel like not moving i.e. staying there until god knows when ..sounds a bit radical coming from a working fulltime mum of 3 with a partner out of work due to this recession, but I am so angry. My parents are coming in too, enough is enough

Ellen Dillon

You can't blockade the Dail. Gardai are well within their rights to remove the blockade, in fact, they must remove it.

You can still protest around the Dail. Who is going first?

I like the timed complaints one and the wearing of the green idea.

The visual message of wearing green could be very strong. It's not my colour though :eek:(I'm sort of joking ;))

The icelandic people banged bin lids outside their parliament (not a blockade of it). Do we have what it takes?
Saucepans and wooden spoons? Why, certainly
Anger and righteous indignation? By the bucketload
The willingness to put our artificially created and sustained differences (public/private, urban/rural, union/non-union, people's front of judea/judean people's front) aside and come together as CITIZENS, demanding the return of our country and a say in its future? We'll see...
November 27th is a start
Wearing green, marching under our own banners, with our own saucepans
And after that? The key in Iceland was SUSTAINED protest - once we take to the streets we need to keep the pressure up until our demands are met.
And though things need to start in Dublin, we need to take to the streets in Cork, Limerick, Galway, Athlone, Tuam, Termonfeckin, Knocknagoshel and STAY THERE until the party of 'Brian Cowen Rejects' realises it has been comprehensively rejected by the taxpayers. By which I mean CITIZENS

Patti Smith: 'People have the power to redeem the work of Fools'

A lot of fools. A lot of redeeming to be done :p

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0uwLj5aNys]YouTube - PATTI SMITH-PEOPLE HAVE THE POWER[/ame]

Ellen Dillon

Removing the FF government is pointless.
Any replacement government would still have to obey the IMF, implement austerity measures and negotiate our way out of debt with the bondholders.
The majority of people in this country are sensible enough to know this.
Wannabe revolutionaries will only be in the hundreds at most and if they try violence they will rightfully be sent packing with their tails between their legs.
So good you posted it twice.

Really? :confused:

making waves

We need to bring the country to a grinding halt and make governance by the current shower impossible.
The key to bringing down the government is a 24 hour general strike. Begg and his cronies should be forced to call one by the time of the demo next week. This government is so weak it would collapse if the workers walked off the job and brought the country to a standstill.

In relation to a general strike not going to happpen we are too lazy and laid back at the same time. Half the country would go on strike on the wrong day.
I 100% disagree - if a 24 hour general strike was called it would receive massive support all over the country from union and non-union workers, from pensioners, the unemployed and young people. Irish workers have brought the country to a grinding halt on many occasions - all of which have had a major impact on political developments.

And in the case of Iceland - it was strike action that eventually brought down the government.

Removing the FF government is pointless.
Any replacement government would still have to obey the IMF, implement austerity measures and negotiate our way out of debt with the bondholders.
The majority of people in this country are sensible enough to know this.
This is bulsh*t frankly - the majority of the people know that FF f*cked things up and that the IMF are going to f*ck things up even more. It is crap to suggest that there is no alternative. Do you want to spend the next 30 years paying for an austerity plan that is desigend to protect the bondholders?

Luigi Vampa

Peaceful non co-operation with the Government untill they leave is required.
We must all resist the IMF and FF and refuse to co-operate in any way with them

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3tjIiWIkAQ&feature=related]YouTube - Gandhi's non-violence speech[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXAnaqza0QQ]YouTube - Peaceful Resistance, Nonviolent Protest[/ame]

king5494

don't forget about the rumours of the army being trained to deal with civil disobedience as well,could get really ugly..I'll be there anyway,hope theres good numbers
The army is fed up with them too and they'b be on the peoples side.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies