• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Take back the city..?

firefly123

I happened to be in the city centre today just strolling around the O'Connell Street/Quays area. I know its been brought up before but the whole area is overrun with junkies. I saw two openly dealing in the lane beside Wynns hotel. I went in to the shop near the corner of OConnell street and was speaking to the asian guy behind the till and he says he is plagued with dealers at his door and junkies robbing from him.
On O'Connell street the place was like a scene from a zombie movie with slack jaws and pinpoint pupils everywhere. The worst sight is the ones pushing small children around in prams while selling drugs. I saw tourists stare in horror at this scene
Surely we can do something to take our city back from Drug addicts and their dealers.
As a Firefighter/Paramedic I see what conditions these people live in and it aint glamourous. I know people will scream about a lack of facilities and amenities etc but there is NO excuse for some of these people as they went in to heroin with their eyes wide open. Its not like the first generation who are all dead now from AIDs or O/Ds.
I know this may be unpopular with some elements but can we

1. Take away the kids of any known addict and only return them if they are proven clean. Full visitation etc but they are not fit to look after a gold fish in the state they are in and we are just creating the next generation of junkies.

2. Have a constant police presence in the City centre area and if a dealer is caught then they get 5 years minumum. Second offence 10 years etc.

I know the problem will move elsewhere but just keep harrasing them until it stops. The usual free drugs for all brigade will show up and state that by legalising it we would stop dealers but then all we would have is a bigger zombie army in our city. :cry:

richie268

I happened to be in the city centre today just strolling around the O'Connell Street/Quays area. I know its been brought up before but the whole area is overrun with junkies. I saw two openly dealing in the lane beside Wynns hotel. I went in to the shop near the corner of OConnell street and was speaking to the asian guy behind the till and he says he is plagued with dealers at his door and junkies robbing from him.
On O'Connell street the place was like a scene from a zombie movie with slack jaws and pinpoint pupils everywhere. The worst sight is the ones pushing small children around in prams while selling drugs. I saw tourists stare in horror at this scene
Surely we can do something to take our city back from Drug addicts and their dealers.
As a Firefighter/Paramedic I see what conditions these people live in and it aint glamourous. I know people will scream about a lack of facilities and amenities etc but there is NO excuse for some of these people as they went in to heroin with their eyes wide open. Its not like the first generation who are all dead now from AIDs or O/Ds.
I know this may be unpopular with some elements but can we

1. Take away the kids of any known addict and only return them if they are proven clean. Full visitation etc but they are not fit to look after a gold fish in the state they are in and we are just creating the next generation of junkies.

2. Have a constant police presence in the City centre area and if a dealer is caught then they get 5 years minumum. Second offence 10 years etc.

I know the problem will move elsewhere but just keep harrasing them until it stops. The usual free drugs for all brigade will show up and state that by legalising it we would stop dealers but then all we would have is a bigger zombie army in our city. :cry:
I see it every day and it is depressing and it is getting worse and there is nothing I can do .
Marlborough St is a disaster like the Micheal Jackson video one gets to view the walking dead.
These kids need help and what do we do? Phuck all.
Maybe if a methadone clinic was placed in Dublin 4 the ************************s would begin to pay attention

jtbooker

LeDroit

Legalise it and the problems go away.
Absolutely. They register for free heroin and their kids are monitored far better too. Prohibition has never worked on anything anywhere. Why does a State feel it has the right to say that an adult cannot use drugs anyway? If you want to do drugs, bungee jump or swim with sharks, you are an idiot but it's not the State's business.

Legalise it and provide it cheaply and crime goes down, addicts are healthier and their kids do better.

Mister_Jinks

Absolutely. They register for free heroin and their kids are monitored far better too. Prohibition has never worked on anything anywhere. Why does a State feel it has the right to say that an adult cannot use drugs anyway? If you want to do drugs, bungee jump or swim with sharks, you are an idiot but it's not the State's business.

Legalise it and provide it cheaply and crime goes down, addicts are healthier and their kids do better.
Yeah. I agree. Criminal justice has failed completely as a solution to the drug problem. I suppose that the issue with narcotics is that drug abuse tends to impose a great cost on society. As such, narcotics will probably remain illegal for some time to come. Until there is some enlightened and non-conservative thinking on the matter.

videoDrone

Yeah. I agree. Criminal justice has failed completely as a solution to the drug problem. I suppose that the issue with narcotics is that drug abuse tends to impose a great cost on society. As such, narcotics will probably remain illegal for some time to come. Until there is some enlightened and non-conservative thinking on the matter.
I would have thought Le Droits comments were eminently conservative and sensible.It is the the left,usually calling themselves democrats of one sort or other who are mad for government expansion/intrusion into the minutiae of individual lives and by extension society at large.True conservatives (not much of them about) are all for individual liberty to engage in all manner of stupidity provided the general welfare is not disturbed or menaced.

Xiogenes

Legalise it and the problems go away.
When it comes to opiates, that is naive and simplistic, and just silly.

You still have to buy the heroin, so one could argue, not to legalise it but make it free to registered addicts, on condition of rehab to get off the stuff.

seabhcan

I work in the city center and have to walk past dozens of junkies and dealers to get my bus home every evening.

I've been told that the problem is that, unique in Europe, all the methdone centers are in the city center in Dublin. Every day about 2k junkies stagger into the center to get their free morning hit, and then hang around buying more and robbing during the day waiting for their evening dose.

Every other major european city have treatment centers outside the city center. Its safer that way as there there are fewer opertunities for mugging and robbing. Dublin doesn't move these treatment centers out because of the nimby backlash - so the city center and our business and tourism suffers instead.

The solution, I think, is to use the state-owned ghost estates. Convert one or two distant ones into combined junkie housing and drug treatment. The junkies would leave the city, and be quickly followed by the dealers. Crime would drop. The city would get cleaned up. Tourists would return. The Nimbys couldn't object.

Xiogenes

I work in the city center and have to walk past dozens of junkies and dealers to get my bus home every evening.

I've been told that the problem is that, unique in Europe, all the methdone centers are in the city center in Dublin. Every day about 2k junkies stagger into the center to get their free morning hit, and then hang around buying more and robbing during the day waiting for their evening dose.

Every other major european city have treatment centers outside the city center. Its safer that way as there there are fewer opertunities for mugging and robbing. Dublin doesn't move these treatment centers out because of the nimby backlash - so the city center and our business and tourism suffers instead.

The solution, I think, is to use the state-owned ghost estates. Convert one or two distant ones into combined junkie housing and drug treatment. The junkies would leave the city, and be quickly followed by the dealers. Crime would drop. The city would get cleaned up. Tourists would return. The Nimbys couldn't object.
Again, over simplistic.

You are advocating that people should have to leave their homes ?

How many of those Dublin 1 junkies have cars.., or should they all the take the 67A ? The greatest concentration of heroin use is in the city, therefore the clinics are there.

San Francisco has tons of junkies and winos on the streets, doesn't affect tourism or business, however they also have cops that do things.

seabhcan

Again, over simplistic.

You are advocating that people should have to leave their homes ?

How many of those Dublin 1 junkies have cars.., or should they all the take the 67A ? The greatest concentration of heroin use is in the city, therefore the clinics are there.

San Francisco has tons of junkies and winos on the streets, doesn't affect tourism or business, however they also have cops that do things.
Why not force them to leave their homes if they want free methadone? In most cases, their homes are also paid for by the state. I see no problem with them being told where to live. If they don't like it, they can always stop being drug adicts.

This Country

The problem is particularly bad on the inner city part of the LUAS red line. On a number of occasions I've had a junkie offer to work the ticket vending machine for me at Connolly Station Luas stop. While this is a bit of a nuisance to a fully grown man, I'd imagine it's very intimidating for old ladies, tourists, etc.

Christchurch area is also the worse for this problem. Both are areas with far more tourism potential than is currently realised.

Should definitely move the treatment centres away from the city centre. I'd be reluctant to support a ghost estate based solution as proposed above - seems a bit too much like leper colonies to me.

The OD

Let me see, comparing the depressing and degrading existence of those who are under the influence of drugs to this:

(Firefly123 going out for a pint of milk)

The usual free drugs for all brigade will show up and state that by legalising it we would stop dealers but then all we would have is a bigger zombie army in our city. :cry:
Like this:

Why dont we just shoot them? Makes sense?

yehbut_nobut

There's a methadone treatment centre in Finglas. I'm sure it's not the only one away from the city centre.

firefly123

Let me see, comparing the depressing and degrading existence of those who are under the influence of drugs to this:

(Firefly123 going out for a pint of milk)

Wow Im a sexy blond lady! I wont come out of my room for ages!

Like this:

Why dont we just shoot them? Makes sense?
perhaps you think they are all like this

Maybe you even believe the national lottery ad
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-DhHLoNiUM]YouTube - National Lottery Rainbow Advert[/ame]

As for the legalisation gang. Do you really think they will all happily take their free heroin (or market value to be decided heroin) and move happily on with their productive little lives? You would end up with them selling their dose to each other or newbies.
But let it happen as long as it effects no one else I hear you say.
So when they overdose should I as a paramedic not carry the naloxone to bring them back to life again? After all they are adults and have made their choices in your free choice utopia? Do we hire someone to pick their corpses off the street when they get a bit stinky?
You are applying a logic to illogical people. They will destroy themselves and as libertarians you are happy to let them do that What makes you think they wont drag others down with them?

The OD

As for the legalisation gang. Do you really think they will all happily take their free heroin (or market value to be decided heroin) and move happily on with their productive little lives? You would end up with them selling their dose to each other or newbies.
But let it happen as long as it effects no one else I hear you say.
So when they overdose should I as a paramedic not carry the naloxone to bring them back to life again? After all they are adults and have made their choices in your free choice utopia? Do we hire someone to pick their corpses off the street when they get a bit stinky?
You are applying a logic to illogical people. They will destroy themselves and as libertarians you are happy to let them do that What makes you think they wont drag others down with them?
Yup, thats pretty much it,all of it, if they want to kill themselves, so be it. If it was me, I'd make sure to give them so much the first time round they wouldnt be back for seconds, what with lying in a squat with a rapidly diminishing blood bubble coming from their noses, I imagine the problem would sort itself out pretty soon.

firefly123

Yup, thats pretty much it,all of it, if they want to kill themselves, so be it. If it was me, I'd make sure to give them so much the first time round they wouldnt be back for seconds, what with lying in a squat with a rapidly diminishing blood bubble coming from their noses, I imagine the problem would sort itself out pretty soon.
In the meantime though what about their kids? I mean the little toddlers they use to hide drugs under. By the time they reach 8 or 9 they are already half feral. Im sure there are plenty of couples who would be happy to foster these kids and bring them up in a loving environment.
Besides all the Zombie references and libertarianism I am trying to make a serious point. How can it ever be justified to allow children be raised like this. Its going to come back and bite us in the arse in a few years:cry:

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies